*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1969892-The-Heart-of-Otekah
Rated: E · Short Story · Supernatural · #1969892
Young boys in New Mexico experience the mystery and power of Native American artifacts.
The Heart of Otekah



I


The town of San Gabriel New Mexico was a very small place as towns go, perhaps a population near two thousand at best, counting occasional guests and those that frequent hospices.  It wasn't the smallest town by any means but considering its neighbors a few miles down the road, Aztec and Bloomfield, were a little larger and better known, it found itself often overlooked as a typical tourist attraction.  However, it did have one strategic point of interest being close to the border of the Navajo Nation in northwestern New Mexico and therefore a good gateway town to the reservations in that area.  Nonetheless, it did not paint any tall skyscrapers or large behemoth buildings to fill its skyline, or have large grids and highways cutting through it.  It was simply a typical small town, the kind you often hear about in old stories, the kind that most people think don't really exist anymore.

San Gabriel was real indeed.  Like all towns it had its ups and downs, its good and bad, its acceptance and prejudice.  The people who lived in San Gabriel came mostly from traditional western ranch families and the occasional farmers.  However a lot of people didn’t realize that San Gabriel, like other regions in New Mexico, had a high population of Native Americans.  And the largest remaining tribe in that area belonged to one of the most notable tribes, the Navajo Indians.  The Navajos have been well known throughout the history of North America and the United States, playing a major role in land reform acts and eventual creation of Indian reservations throughout the west.  And their saga played an equal role in the foundation and history of San Gabriel.

There weren't that many Navajos left that actually lived in the town, just a few scattered here and there.  Most were content to live their lives on the reservation, which guaranteed them government support, privacy and the freedom to maintain their own business enterprises.  However, they would also venture into town to setup trading posts and help out local ranchers with livestock.  After all, no one knew a horse like a Navajo, at least that is what they would contend.

Among the other town folk was a mixture of backgrounds, typical rancher family names like Winston or Johnston with the occasional Kowalski or Martenelli thrown in.  The town had seen a lot of changes in terms of land ownership over time, as if it were inevitable that money from the east would mix with money from the west and bring folks in from all over.  In fact, the town claimed a recent addition of a Buddhist monk who knew the Dali Lama personally.  He set up a prayer temple and invited all to visit and enjoy the healthy benefits of meditation.  At first, regular town folk saw this as something to be concerned with, but over time and with appropriate education, they found themselves attending classes with the monk to relieve the stresses of daily life.  So the town of San Gabriel was indeed becoming a global community, a far cry from the days of cowboys and Indians.

Tyler, Gus and Michael were three ten year old boys from different backgrounds.  Gus and Michael came from the traditional rancher families and would describe their dads as "real cowboys", whereas Tyler was a transplant from the east coast arriving with parents that were looking for more serenity and change in their lives.  All three boys, nonetheless, were typical for their age.  They all lived fairly close to one another, no more separate than a few city blocks at best.  And like most pre-teens, they liked to play outside as much as possible and push the limits of what they could do.  The average parent would attest that this is the modus operandi for most ten year old boys, so it is to be expected.

Just about every day, the boys would make their way from one end of the town to the next, not really that far, perhaps one and a half miles total.  While doing this, they would attempt to get as creative as they could while playing kick ball or throwing a baseball from one side of the street across to the other, often timing the throw or kick in between a car or truck that would pass by.  As one could imagine, this would often land them in trouble with the occasional talk from the town's sheriff, who dubbed the boys the "New Jesse James" gang.  The boys never really agreed on who was Jesse, but they liked the name all the same when they heard it from other town folk.  It kind of made them feel special.

Gus was the more vocal one, often loud and direct as he could get.  His dad worked several jobs as a ranch hand but also odd jobs here and there, especially around the Holiday season each year.  Michael was less boisterous, but more calculated.  He was also the one that came up with most of the schemes that would land them all in trouble.  He might have seen himself as the Jesse in the gang, but never referred to himself in that manner to Tyler and Gus.  His family had long standing ties to the community, with roots to San Gabriel going back many generations.  Tyler, on the other hand, was the more contemplative one.  Having been displaced from another city and state to the west due to a lifestyle change for his parents, Tyler was still getting used to the environment and the people all around him.

This day in San Gabriel was no different than any other day.  The boys were playing with an old soccer ball and challenging cars as they passed by.  Michael was racing ahead and kicking the ball across to Gus from one side of the street to the other, timing the kick so that the ball would just miss the rear tire and skirt across the street behind the driver.  Most drivers weren't even aware they were doing this, but the occasional resident, knowing the boys and their ways, would see them running on the side of the street and lean on the horn a bit to warn them off.

The three boys made their way down Main Street, moving side to side and occasionally kicking the ball way off in someone's yard.  Tyler was usually the one to go after the ball.  He often felt bad about it smashing through a neighbor's plants or flowers and possibly causing more damage.  So Tyler kept ahead of Gus and Michael, knowing that they would not be as sensitive to the rules of personal property in the town.  They were nearing the edge of town, having been running and kicking for quite some time.  It was getting a bit hot out.  The sun was falling in the afternoon sky, but was still providing enough direct sunlight to keep the temperature on the high end of eighty degrees.  And with little wind for relief, the boys were getting tired and thirsty.

At the end of town going west, the spacing between the houses and shops began to increase as the age of the homes began to increase.  So the boys were very aware that the proverbial end of the road was approaching.  Gus' dad referred to this part of town as the "bad" side of town.  Gus was never really sure what he meant by that, but knew he was to stay away at all costs.  Michael was doing what he always did, pushing the envelope and trying to see how far he could kick the ball into a more dangerous situation, something he was prone to do no matter how many times the other boys complained.

As they neared the western end of town, they noticed a few old homes, not very well kept up but livable nonetheless.  The one on the left side of the street was owned by an older Navajo Native American.  Local town folk often referred to him as 'Injun Joe', after ‘Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn' fame, but their intent was more derogatory in nature.  He was a quiet man, mostly kept to himself, but would occasionally speak at town council meetings, especially to support other local Native Americans in the area, both Navajo and Comanche.  To those with some town history, they knew him as a medicine man or Shaman.  His reputation was known as far west as Arizona to tribes in that area and as far east as Oklahoma and Texas, but outside the world of tribes and reservations, he was a mystery to most folks who crossed his path, especially more recent transplants to San Gabriel.

Michael saw the house as he approached it from the right side of the street.  Not as challenging as other homes for a kick ball since there were no cars directly in front of it.  As he got closer Gus and Tyler slowed down a bit and approached with more caution.  Michael noticed, but kept moving forward.

"Hey, look guys", he shouted, "It's Injun Joe's house".  Michael stopped the ball under his foot like a football forward would do prior to lining up a long shot to the goal.

"Mike, let's stay away from this place", Gus answered, "My parents told me to stay clear of that house or to suffer the consequences".

"Aw, come on", Michael retorted with a smirk on his face, "are you chicken?"

"I'm telling you Mike, it's not worth messing around with", Gus said as he started to back up a little and looked toward Tyler for some support.  Tyler glanced back at him, then toward Michael across the street and noticed that he was stepping back a bit from the ball like he was winding up for a huge shot.

"Yeah, Mike", Tyler shouted, "I don't think that is a good idea.  If it goes too far we could get in trouble or even lose our ball".

"Aw, you guys are no fun.  What's the worst that could happen?"

"Well, like getting caught by Injun Joe and scalped or something", Gus replied with a little more irritation in his voice.

"You don't believe those stories, do you?"

"Let's just say I am not willing to find out", Gus replied with a definitive expression on his face.  Gus was standing his ground and refused to give in.

"Well now, I guess you'll both just have to try and stop this shot", Michael shouted as he quickly wound up his leg and booted the ball directly toward the front of the Navajo's house.

Gus and Tyler reacted quickly like a football goalie caught by surprise at a last minute shot.  The ball came flying high at first, but Michael had put enough English on the shot that it had a distinct spin about it.  Both boys watched the ball flying toward them and the house.  Gus was further away so he actually ran only two steps then propelled himself into the air with both hands spread out.  His intention was to simply tip the ball so it would deflect in another direction.

Tyler was closer so he ran at least four or five steps toward the trajectory, but as he got closer and in position, the spin that Michael delivered on the kick began to factor in against the wind and air current.  As Tyler made his interception leap, the ball floated upward like a sail hitting a strong gust and moved away from both boys.  As they tumbled down to the ground, they both turned their heads, almost in unison, toward the ball passing them, up and over toward the corner edge of the back yard.

The only hope was the small metal fence around the back yard, but as Tyler feared, the ball cleared that easily and bounced inside its perimeter heading deeper into the lot.  At first all three boys just stood up in silence following the ball's trajectory with their eyes until it stopped just short of the back shed.  The ball had cleared quite a lot of obstacles to go that far, almost serendipitous to have missed so many items in its flight path, and as if the ball purposely steered clear of the larger items with every bounce and turn in the air.

Michael darted across the street looking both ways quickly as he did and ran up to the other boys.  All three of them stood propped up against the fence and stared at the misplaced soccer ball gleaming in the sunshine and obviously standing out in a yard full of much darker and worn items.  The ball ended up right next to a pile of wood; wood that appeared recently chopped and tossed into a pile.  The shed was only about ten feet away from the wood pile and its door was closed, but the padlock on the outside of the door was opened and hanging loosely from one handle.

"I told you Mike", Gus said in a very irritated voice, "I can't believe you hit the ball so hard, you knew we were supposed to stay away from this house!"

"Ah, come on, it's not that bad.  We have been in worse situations", Michael responded putting on a cynical face.

"Like what?" Gus asked.

"Remember the time we hit the ball into Mrs. McMurty's willow tree?" Michael retorted, "It was up there pretty high, yet we all managed to climb up and throw rocks at it to knock it down and get it back without her knowing."

"Yes, but that was closer to home and someone our parents knew in case we got caught", Tyler reminded him.

"Yeah, Tyler's right.  This is completely different.  After all it's Injun Joe we are talking about", Gus added, "And we all know he is a mean drunk like my father says."

"We don't know any of that for sure", Tyler interjected, "But we do know we are not supposed to bother him, at least that is what I am told".

"Man, you guys are pansies", Michael said, "My mother said he is just another Navajo who has strayed from his tribe and reservation years ago and just keeps to himself."

"But my dad told me more detail", Gus stated emphatically with a rather stern look directed at Michael, "He said that Injun Joe went to a town council meeting and he claimed to be a medicine man, a shaman or something like that.  He claims to have curative powers and follows the way of the old Navajo."

"What's that mean?" Michael jeered, "The ways of the Navajo?  Sounds like mumbo jumbo to me.  All my parents ever heard was that he drank a lot and was pretty much a loner."

"I think these are all stories we can't prove one way or another", Tyler added, "We should probably go and knock on his door to ask him for permission to get our ball back."

"No way", Michael pronounced, "I say let's just jump over the fence and go get it.  We will have the ball back before anyone notices."

"You better hope so", Gus added, "Because if you tried and got caught, that could be the last thing you do.  Think about it."

"Oh man, you guys are just afraid, but I’m not", Michael stated as he began to climb the fence to the back yard because the main gate was locked and bolted.

"What are you doing, Mike?" Tyler shouted.

"I am going in, boys.  Cover me!"

At first all that Tyler and Gus could do was watch as the more ambitious Michael jumped the fence and began to creep toward the back lot.  Then they too followed suit and climbed the fence to back him up in case he needed help.  They had done this before and actually rescued Michael from a mean dog when they had to enter Mr. Bollinger's back yard to get a football that bounce over his chain fence.  It was a close call, but Gus and Tyler had helped to distract the dog and confuse him while Michael retrieved the football and made his way back over the fence.  All three boys got away without the dog reaching any of them and without Mr. Bollinger noticing they were ever in his yard.

This time it was a little different.  No dog, but perhaps more danger and unknowns since they knew very little about the one the townsfolk called 'Injun Joe'.  Gus and Tyler looked at each other with mutual perplexing glances, but then Gus signaled with his hand to follow Michael carefully as he made his way further into the yard.  Michael was no more than thirty feet in front of them and also moving carefully.  Occasionally he would stop and quickly peer left and right to see if anything or anyone was coming for him.  This he did out of habit and also probably from years of experience dodging dogs and irate neighbors.  He made his way closer to the back shed and woodpile where the ball had terminated its velocity and laid at rest.

Gus and Tyler also made their way deeper into the yard but still at a safer distance from Michael and the ball.  As Michael approached the ball, he hesitated at first, but then reached down and picked it up.  He examined it to make sure it had no tears or holes given all the debris in this yard.  It appeared fine so he gave it a toss or two in his hands to make sure.  He then turned toward Gus and Tyler and held it up in the air like a proud hunter claiming his game.

"See, I told you it was okay.  No sweat", Michael exclaimed with a proud grin on his face.  It was the type of grin that also stated boldly 'Look how brave I am'.  But as he stood there facing the other boys in his moment of glory, he failed to notice any movement behind him.  In the time it took to turn his head toward his friends, the shed door opened abruptly and out came a very large Native American, dressed in casual clothes with gloves on and holding an axe in his right hand.  He moved quickly toward the boys but specifically approached Michael.  He was silent but direct in his approach, something he had learned to do as part of natural survival instinct over many generations.

Michael knew something was wrong by the look on his friends’ faces.  Their faces quickly turned from smiles to frowns to sheer fright all within a matter of seconds.  By the time Michael turned around, the one they called 'Injun Joe' was just a few feet away from him glancing down on the young boy's face.  Michael stood there frozen in his steps and literally petrified; his body felt as if nothing could move except his eyes.  His vision fixated on the Indian's face.  He saw a rather tall Indian with long hair, braided down the middle of his back.  He had on typical western clothes, not any special Indian garb that Michael and the other boys envisioned him wearing.  The gloves on his hands were workman's gloves, very heavy cloth and dark brown.  In his right hand he carried a long bow axe, the type used for splitting wood.  Although at that moment, all Michael could think of was that it was an axe to scalp his head, or something worse.

The one they called 'Injun Joe' lifted his right arm swiftly without breaking his glance on Michael.  Michael got weak in the knees and felt sick as if the bottom fell out of his stomach in one quick moment of terror.  Tyler and Gus could only watch as this all transpired too far away for them to do anything in that instant of time.  The Indian lowered his arm quickly and released the axe.  At that moment Michael could only do what his body was telling him to do, and that was to close his eyes very tightly, drop the soccer ball and quickly pose in a defensive mode as best as he knew how.  The axe fell toward the earth, but instead of angling toward the boy in front of him, it went on a perfect spiral toward the woodpile, hitting a piece of wood and splitting it in two pieces as it then ended up stuck in the log below it.

"What's a matter with you boy", the Indian said, "Did you think I was going to throw it at you?  Huh, what an imagination".

At that moment, Michael's heart skipped a beat or two, at least that is what he felt, but it kept pumping blood at an exceedingly fast rate throughout his body.  This was obviously the reason for the perspiration building up on his head and underarms and just about all over his body.  The other two boys were no better off.  They both felt their hearts pounding in their chests, but when the axe hit the woodpile, it was as if a weight was lifted from them.

"What are you all doing in my backyard?" the Navajo asked looking annoyed at all three boys.  At first, no one replied.  They were all frozen in their tracks.  Michael was just happy to be alive at that point.

"Who is the leader of this outfit?" he asked them all.

At first they were all silent, perhaps setting a record for silence and having 'nothing to say' as their mothers would attest.  Then Michael, who felt he had to speak since he was the closest, responded quietly.  "We....we don't really have a leader.  We kind of all make decisions together", he said with a very nervous and apologetic voice.

"So, then", the one they called Injun Joe answered, "You are all responsible for entering private property without consent from the owner, correct?"

"Well, we were just trying to get our ball back", Michael pleaded as if he were in front of a jury.

"But you didn't knock on my door", the Navajo exclaimed.  "As you can see, I was in the woodshed getting some tools, so I would not have heard you knocking, but I would have heard my dog barking loudly when you went to the door and that would have brought me out".

"But, we just didn't want to disturb you", Gus added as he jumped into the conversation, "We simply thought we could get it and get out fast."

"Well now, I see the flaw in your logic young man", the older Indian interjected, "You believe that reason justifies violating my right to privacy established by the state of New Mexico.  Don't use that argument in court, it won't go far today, especially with the abundance of lawyers in this town."

"Are you a lawyer?" Tyler asked, now more curious than ever.

"Yes I am, among other things an advocate for the Navajo tribe in this region", the Indian replied, "but I am more interested in hearing what you think of me.  What stories have you heard among the local lore?"

At first silence again.  All three boys looked at each other with pleading eyes.  Neither one wanted to respond first out of fear of retribution, but all three knew exactly what the Indian meant.  Then, suddenly, Michael spoke up boldly.

"They say that you practice strange spiritual rituals and black magic against other people in the town.    This is how you win cases in court."

And then Gus added, "Yeah, and my father says you drink a lot, get drunk and use your Indian powers to place curses on other people to get what you want.  Some people call you 'Injun Joe'.  I am not sure where that name comes from."

With that the Indian started laughing loudly, with a big smile on his face surprising the boys altogether.  "I wish", he said in between laughs, "I wish I had such powers.  Just imagine how much I could actually accomplish.  But believe me, none of that is true."  He then turned to Tyler who had yet to respond and asked, "And what about you?  You haven't chimed in on this yet."

"Well," Tyler responded, "My parents tell me that you are actually a shaman and an official representative of the Navajo tribe.  They say that you work hard in the local court to represent cases brought up against other Navajos and Apaches that come into town.  Other than that I don't have any other stories."

"Well now", the Indian responded, "Finally someone in town that follows the truth.  With that he started walking toward his back porch.  As he passed Michael and Gus, they winched a bit but did not move.  When he got to Tyler he paused and made a hand gesture pointing toward the porch.  "You want to sit down and discuss the truth a little more?" he added staring right at the young boy.

At first Tyler didn't know what to say, but he sensed certain calmness in the invitation from the Navajo.  He quickly looked at Gus and Michael who, at that point, were behind the large Indian and were shaking their heads back and forth indicating "no" at the same time waving their arms; looking somewhat like a football referee's signal for a declined penalty.  They appeared very agitated.

"Well?" the Navajo spoke up, "You coming or not?"

"Uh, okay", Tyler responded, "I can stay for a bit".

With that Michael and Gus almost lost it.  They both rolled their eyes in disbelief.  The one they called 'Injun Joe' proceeded up the porch stairs and responded, "Good then, follow me", and then after a short pause and without glancing back, "You two are welcome if you have the courage".

The two boys hesitated, but then walked up the stairs with Tyler into the screened porch.  The porch was fairly old in appearance, lacking several needed coats of paint and with screens that had holes peppered about.  Other than that it was quite tidy inside.  There were shelves on the wall near the back door of the house.  They were filled with old books and what appeared to the young boys as Indian relics.  In addition, one shelf was dedicated to an array of Native American pottery.  The pieces seemed to belong to multiple tribes, most notably the Navajo, but there were some pieces that were clearly Apache and a few others that appeared to be Sioux in origin.

The tall and lanky Indian sat down in an older rocker made exclusively from what appeared to be knotty pine.  The three boys sat down near each other on an old sofa that was propped up against the exterior porch wall across from the rocking chair.  It was also the closest seat near the back porch door.  Tyler was sitting almost directly in front of the Indian and looked fairly calm and relaxed.  The other two boys were far from relaxed and appeared nervous about sitting down and talking to the one they heard so many rumors about.

After a few minutes in silence, the Navajo spoke up.  "So it is only proper that we introduce ourselves.  That way there are no misconceptions or rumors flying about."  The boys nodded in agreement.  "Okay, I will go first", he said with a very serious look on his face.  "My name is really 'Injun Joe'."

With that the boys all perked up and their eyes became as big as saucers.  Then before they could react, the Navajo started laughing as loud as he could.  The boys didn't know how to react, but their looks were priceless to the old Indian.  "You see", he added holding his laughter back, "My real name you could never pronounce let alone remember.  So the town nickname is somewhat appropriate, other than the fact that I do not go around harassing young 'Tom Sawyers' and 'Huck Finns' out there.  My full legal name according to the state is Chief Joseph Cloud Walker from the Dine nation, which you refer to as the Navajo."

"How did you pick that name?" Gus asked quickly almost without thinking.

"Good question young man", the Chief answered with a slight smirk on his face, "You see I didn't really pick it.  My great grandfather had actually moved into this area a long time ago as a translator to the U.S. Calvary.  The government officials had to register him for the records and needed to put something down in the books.  The story is that a Calvary sergeant saw him walking high up on a ridge with nothing but the sky and clouds behind him, so from his vantage point it appeared as if he were walking on the clouds.  Hence 'Cloud Walker' stuck as a family and was entered into the ledger and passed down to each generation.  I am really from the clan Ye'ii Dine'e which would be translated as the 'Giant People'.  Now, what about all of you?  Do I get the pleasure of learning your names?"

Still stunned by the fact that 'Injun Joe' was indeed a nick name for a very real Indian sitting in front of them, all three boys hesitated to reply.  They looked at each other as if to figure out who would go first, but no one spoke up immediately.

"Okay, I am not that scary, am I?" the Chief asked in a somewhat calmer and soothing voice to encourage a response this time.

"I'll go first", Tyler quickly asserted, "My name is Tyler Andrevich.  My parents and I haven't been in New Mexico that long.  We moved here from Virginia".

"Well now.  Tyler the Brave", the Navajo added.  "Welcome to San Gabriel and the great land of my fore fathers.  And what about you?" he said as he pointed to the apparent leader of the gang.

"Well, I am Michael Brooks.  My Dad is Ted Brooks, the manager of the 'Double R' ranch at the edge of town.  He also sits on the town council."

"Yes, I recognize the name very well", the Navajo added.  "I've run across his vote many times and we rarely agree.  And you, Gus?  I think I actually recognize you.  Gus McFadden, correct?"

At that point Gus perked up.  "Yes, how did you know?"

"Let's just say that I also know your father fairly well.  He is a cow hand at the 'Double R' ranch, and also gambles any chance he gets."

"Well, I don't know about that", Gus replied, "He does like to play cards every Friday night, but that's just cards."

"Let's just say the word gets around fast", the older Chief added, "There are many local Navajos and Apaches that have lost their weekly earnings to your father, and he doesn't blink an eye."

"Well, that's just hear say", the younger Gus replied adamantly; "My Dad always plays fair in everything he does."

"I'm sure he does.  I am not questioning that.  I only report the facts, young man.  A good 'human being' only lives by the truth.  Lies and deception will only lead to horrible consequences."

"Aren't we all human beings?" Michael interjected, "I don't understand what you mean".

"For native Americans, a 'human being' is a very important classification", the Navajo added, "It is not taken as lightly or casually as you hear in school or on television.  Native Americans believe it defines a person on this planet that is in touch with nature and his fellow man.  It is a man, woman or child that realizes their place in the universe and their place among the animal kingdom.  It is not a person out of touch with these things or one who ignores these concepts.  A true human being is one that lives by the truth and does everything possible to make sure the truth is kept in a good place".

"Kept in a good place?"  Tyler asked, "What does that mean?"

The Indian smiled a bit and was glad to see he got the boys interested, "Well now, that is a good question", he continued, "We are all obligated to live by the truth but also to protect the truth and those that are governed by the truth.  So we must keep the truth 'in a good place', that is, we must not allow it to be damaged, twisted or distorted in any way.  We must protect it like it is a precious object.  For most people the truth is as solid as a diamond, so protecting it is fairly easy.  It may have a few flaws in it, but still shines brilliantly.  For others the truth is like an eggshell.  It is very delicate and could crumble and be crushed easily.  Everybody has their own container for the truth, they must discover if it is solid or fragile, and once they discover this, they must work hard to protect it."

"But is truth the same for everybody?" Gus asked trying to figure things out, "I mean, my parents are always talking about how everybody has their own opinions and what's right for them is not necessarily right for others."

"That is one of the problems with society", Injun Joe added, "People are always trying to change the truth to meet their needs.  Truth is absolute, but one of the hardest things to discover are what those absolute parameters are, so some human beings 'stretch' the truth a bit, but this is just as bad as ignoring the truth and living a lie.  No one said this is easy.  Most people spend their entire lives struggling with this concept and straying from the truth as things get difficult.  This is why truth must be carried well in its container and protected; never ignored, always there in your presence.  Some people hide their containers for long periods of time only to discover that when they seek the truth again it is very damaged and ignored.  Some people discard their containers and never seek them again.  They are not interested in the truth but only what suits their needs.  These people define what we refer to as bad acts and are guided by the forces of evil and not good."

"But what about laws and justice?" Tyler asked, "Aren't they created to protect the truth and people?"

"Aha, yes, very good", Injun Joe smiled, "You see, justice is the close cousin of truth.  Justice is created to serve truth."

"But my Dad says there is no real justice", Michael interrupted, "At least not in this town.  He says that people can buy justice and control it like everything else."

"Now you see", the Chief added, "This is exactly what I was referring to.  Justice must serve the truth, but it can be bought, as you refer to, when weak men and women allow it to be compromised.  This is what we must fight in order to keep the truth in a good place."

"It sounds way too complicated to me", Michael retorted, "I don't know how people can keep all of this straight."

"Yes it can be", the humbled Navajo replied, "We all find ourselves constantly challenged by the forces of good and evil in a battle of trying to do what is right.  Sometimes it is not easy, but the truth will always prevail in the end.  This is something you must believe."

"Then you would describe yourself as a truthful person?" Gus asked the large Native American with a slight smirk on his face.

"I would say that I strive to live a truthful existence, and for the most part, I do", the Chief replied knowing this inquisition was leading to something else.

"Then any question we ask you, you must tell the truth, correct?"

"Yes, that is correct", the Chief answered, "I will answer your questions, one at a time, with the truth to the best of my knowledge."

Michael and Tyler were a little surprised at Gus' approach and both glanced at each other with a surprised look on their faces.  Tyler crept forward a bit to the edge of the seat wondering where Gus was going with all this.  Michael elbowed Gus from the side and frowned at him as if to say, 'What are you doing?'

"What I would like to know", Gus continued, "Is if all they say about you in town is true?  That is, you have special powers and use them to control things that happen in town?"

Somehow Tyler knew Gus was going to go there.  Gus is not one to hold back.  He was a little nervous for all three of them hoping this did not infuriate the Navajo.

"Very good young man", the Chief started, "Just like your father you are indeed clever.  You put me in a place in which I must respond with the truth to validate a town rumor; especially after that lecture I gave."  With that the Indian stood up while smirking a bit.  All three boys reacted to his movement by sinking further back in their chairs, maybe a little apprehensive with this latest turn of events.

"I tell you what", the Navajo said, "I am a shaman according to the Navajo tribe.  And if you studied about Native American tribes in your school, you would realize that a Shaman has no special powers of his own, but rather channels the powers in nature that exist.  There is a balance of good and evil in nature.  A shaman can recognize when the evil is dominating or holding back the good, so all he does is seek out a vessel in which to help the good win the battle."

"So you 'channel' this power to control what you want?" Gus asked.

"No", Joe said emphatically, "That is not what I said.  Much like you, a shaman engages in what you would call prayer.  So we believe in religious expression as much as the next man.  This country protects our rights as anyone else who engages in the right to pray or practice religion."

"But did you or did you not use it at the town council to control the outcome of decisions?" Michael added.  "My father says he sees you all the time in deep thought and concentration right before they take votes, and you are holding different objects in your hands.  He says he can't tell what you are holding because they are too small to see."

With that the one they call Injun Joe stood up and moved closer to Gus and Michael.  The expression on his face was one of both anger and disappointment.  He had hoped the boys would make up their own minds, but apparently they were still at an impressionable age and took their parents' perspective as gospel.

"Enough!' Joe shouted, "I will not be questioned by a bunch of kids about things they do not understand."

From Gus and Michael's perspective, they looked up and saw a rather huge Indian towering over them.  He had on a traditional Navajo buckskin shirt decorated in many colors, a pair of dirty old blue jeans and some old cowboy boots without spurs.  He wore no face paint, but had done so in the past and they remembered seeing him with a rather brightly decorated face on other special occasions.  That memory was ingrained in their brains, so much so that the impression of an Indian with warrior paint towering over them dominated the reality of a less vibrant and more docile human being speaking to them at that moment.

"We are just repeating what we have heard", Michael said defensively as if to calm down the Chief in his steps.

"That is the problem", Chief Joseph replied, "You are parroting what your parents and other townsfolk have said about me.  I want you to hear the truth from me and make up your own minds.  What I do privately is no one else's business but mine.  Why is it that our practices and beliefs are treated differently than the white man's?  The Bill of Rights should protect us all equally."

Gus and Michael inched closer to one another as Joe spoke.  Gus was getting edgy and kept picturing the Indian in full warrior dress with a hatchet in one hand ready to scalp them all.  Michael was no better and imagined a good old cowboys and Indians battle at Injun Joe's house that kept circling around the house and back yard and involved some arrows and an occasional spear chucked at them with eagle feathers attached to it.  Needless to say, imaginations ran wild.

Tyler, on the other hand, was watching with interest and admired the Navajo's spirit and courage.  From his viewpoint he saw a very eloquent and well-spoken man who knew the law very well and also fought hard to protect his people against the injustices the town covered up.  The boys' reactions were as different as night and day, but fell into place based on what they believed, or more importantly at their age, what their parents believed.

"Well, uh, thanks a lot, Mr. Joseph", Michael said nervously, "I think we better be getting home now."  As the self-appointed leader of this boy's outfit, Michael took the lead in terms of starting the safe bailout approach.

"Well now", Joseph began, "I guess you all had enough of the crazy Indian for one day", he added as he turned and glanced at the shelves behind him.  "Before you go, I have something to show you."

This got a reaction out of all the boys, but Gus and Michael were a little more nervous about some weapon appearing quickly and turning on them.  They both shot up and inched closer to the door never letting their eyes off of the large and imposing Indian.

Injun Joe turned to the cluttered shelves behind him and moved a few items to pull out a box, an old shoe box to be precise.  He proceeded to move closer to the boys but guarding the box and contents with both hands.  Michael and Gus stood nervously, almost frozen in their footsteps, whereas Tyler jumped up eagerly to see what the Chief had hidden.

The Chief moved closer and slowly lifted the top of the box off.  Gus winched and turned his head a bit thinking that would stop anything bad from happening.  Michael grimaced but was too curious to look away.  Tyler was ever more curious and stood as tall as he could to get a peek inside the box.

"You see", the Navajo began, "in this box are a collection of very valuable items.  Some are nothing more than historical in nature and carry only sentimental value, whereas others are very important as they carry powers beyond anything you could imagine."

After glancing into the box, Gus and Michael calmed down a bit; especially Gus.  They saw nothing that was an immediate threat, although Gus saw what he thought was an arrow head among many smaller items.  His fear now turned into curiosity.  "Is that an arrow head that was used in battle or something?" Gus exclaimed pointing down toward the one corner of the shoe box and at a very old and chipped arrow head which appeared to be made out of some stone he had never seen before.

"It figures you would see that first in a box full of wonders", the Chief replied, "But it is indeed an arrow head.  It goes way back, passed on to me from many Navajo generations before me.  It is said that this arrow head was used in many famous battles throughout Native American history.

"Like which ones?" Michael asked, with his curiosity at an all time peak. 

The Chief looked down with a sadder face and began to name some of the key battles in the old West that most historians would agree were of important consequence.  "Well, for one, the battle of Little Big Horn lead by Chief Tatanka Iyotaka, you would know him better as Sitting Bull.  I am sure you have heard of this one in school.  And then there was the battle at Fort Ridgely lead by Little Crow.  Less documented but still of grave importance.  In each case, the arrow head was said to have killed a significant figure in the battle.  The arrow shaft it was on was marked with special identifiers, so much unlike the others that it was easier to find and recover afterwards."

"Who did it kill in the battle of Little Big Horn?" Gus asked hoping for a certain name to be called out but realizing that would be a stretch.

"Well, you may not believe it, but when I received it as a gift from the Nation of the Sioux, I was told it was the arrow head that killed General Custer at that fateful battle.  It was said to have had a shaft decorated with large eagle feathers all painted in blood red.  The shaft itself was painted in black and it was longer than most.  It really stood out among the others.  The bearer was guarded well until he was within a certain proximity to the general.  He was then allowed to ride as close as he could to get one chance knowing it would be his last breath as well."

"So what is so special about this arrow head?" Tyler asked inquisitively, "What power is it supposed to have?"

"Well in this case", Injun Joe started, "The arrow head is said to possess an ancient earthly curse or evil power, something that was part of the stone found by the first Human Being to come across it.  Remember, not all stones and earthly substances with power are good.  Some are indeed bad.  But someone had to recognize its power and then harness it to kill only evil figures, or else unleashed, it could destroy more innocent people."

"So are all these objects in the box that evil?" Michael interjected.

"No", Joseph answered, "This is the only one.  It figures you boys would point out the one that carries with it the most harm and consequence."

"So why do you have it?" Gus asked bravely, "Are you planning on using it against some bad guys?  Or someone in town?"

The first thought in Joseph's head was that this was predictable, but then he got angry thinking he had to say something to let these boys know his role was good, not bad, and he was protecting others from misusing such powers.  He realized it was not easy explaining this to an adult let alone boys with vivid imaginations, but he felt he had to try.  "I am not an evil person!" he responded loudly, "In fact I am here to protect others from the harmful things in this world.  Part of a shaman's role is to use his knowledge of the spiritual world to help guide and protect others.  Yet you two are primarily focused on what your parents would see.  Their eyes are your eyes.  I think it is time you boys leave.  My lessons for the day are done."

With that Gus and Michael must have simultaneously turned to look at one another and realized they crossed some line.  Instead of arguing any further, they quickly moved to the door.  Gus grabbed the ball that was lying on the floor; after all, that was their prime objective, to retrieve the ball.  Now they had it, so mission accomplished.  Tyler was surprised at the quick dismissal since he was fascinated by what the Chief had to say.  Nonetheless he thought he was also included in the discharge order and had to leave.  He started to follow the boys, but as he did, Chief Joseph gently grabbed his shoulder and stopped him.  Tyler turned around a little surprised and nervous.

"Tyler, can you remain for a moment longer before leaving?" the tall Navajo asked while kindly looking down at the young man in front of him.

"Uh, I guess so", he said with just a hint of doubt while quickly glancing over at Gus and Michael who were two steps away from bolting out the door.  "I think I have a few more minutes to talk to you before returning home."

"Good then, because this will only take a few minutes", the one called Injun Joe replied, "Your friends can go ahead, I am sure you will catch up".

With that Michael looked a bit sternly at Tyler and asked him carefully, "Are you sure you want to stay behind?  We can all leave together and pick another time to come back."  Tyler appreciated the effort by his friend to rescue him from the moment, but Tyler was more curious than afraid.  He really wanted to hear what the Chief had in mind and it appeared to be specific to him and not the other boys.

"No that's okay", Tyler replied after only a slight delay, "I'll stay and catch up with you guys.  Maybe we can meet up later at the tree house?"

At that point Gus gave Tyler a rather strange look, but one Tyler had seen before.  It was the coded look they developed between the three of them, a look that said, let's get out of here no matter what.  Gus' eyes were as wide as they could be and his head was moving back and forth with a slight nod towards the door.  This had worked in school on occasion, so Gus was hoping the signal would hold true.

Tyler spoke up one more time and added, 'Seriously, I am okay.  I'll catch up guys".

"Uh...okay", Michael responded, also looking rather strangely at both Tyler and Gus.  "I guess we'll get a jump, but we won't be too far ahead".

The two more rambunctious boys then gathered themselves and exited the porch door.  They turned around and waved at the Chief and their best friend who stayed behind.  Tyler glanced back with a slight smile on his face indicating he was fine.

"Please sit down, Tyler", the Chief said while ruffling through the box looking for a few items.  He pulled out three rather shiny stones, each one part of its own necklace, each one looking very old.  "I wanted to show you these items.  The other boys would probably not appreciate their beauty and power."

"Wow", Tyler responded as the Chief laid the three items in his lap gently.  Tyler looked at each one noticing the beautiful color of the stones and also the differences.  They looked like they could be a type of quartz, but it was hard to tell.  They were definitely unique in terms of color and energy, something the common stone does not possess.  "They are all very bright and colorful, almost like they are admitting some light themselves, but I know that is impossible."

"Nothing is impossible if you truly believe it, Tyler", the Navaho replied.  "These are all healing stones of varying power".

"Healing stones?" Tyler responded, "What do you mean, they can heal people or animals that are sick or hurt?"

"Something like that", Chief Joseph answered moving a bit closer and sitting down next to Tyler, "You see, as I told you boys earlier, there are objects in nature with mysterious powers far beyond the comprehension of man.  A shaman can search a lifetime to find as many of these objects as he can and either be lucky in his quest or unlucky.  I was lucky enough to have these objects given to me over many years; you could say a collection from other shamans to put to good use.  And I have used them only as needed, careful in my selection of when, where and whom they affect".

"If they are so powerful and can heal, how come you don't use them more often?" the young but rather wise boy asked.

"Well, that's a good question", the Indian responded quite humbly, "You see, every time a shaman guides their usage to heal, it takes a lot of energy to do that, and it weakens the shaman, sometimes close to death.  So he must carefully choose the times he invokes the power and must always be aware of the potential danger".

"So how does it work?" Tyler asked, "How does a shaman know when to use these stones to help people?"

"Well, I can certainly tell you it is not an exact science, in fact, it takes a lot of belief and what you would call 'faith' at times to even believe in the healing power.  But a shaman must see himself as one with the patient.  He must extend himself and his control of the power to the patient's natural field of energy and become one with that.  That is why this can severely drain the shaman's life energy depending on how bad the sickness is."

"So can he die from this?"  Tyler boldly asked.

"Yes, in fact a shaman will go through many near death experiences in their lives which in turn help develop their intuitive powers and control of the spiritual world."

"Have you had many yourself?" the rather intuitive young man asked of the older Indian.

"Unfortunately, yes", he answered, "I have had many close calls, but all worth it in the end.  I guess eventually I will have one last episode that will carry me over to the other world."

"Wow, it sounds very risky and unpredictable", the boy added, "I am not sure a lot of people would put their own life in such danger to save another person.  What you do is amazing, and not a lot of people would understand it."

"Well, I am glad you see it that way.  This is why I sensed you were special and would understand the ways of the shaman more so than your friends."

"But why me?" Tyler started to prod further, "I am not sick."

"But your mother is, isn't she?" the wise old Navajo said with a calmer and more direct voice.

Tyler was surprised at first with the answer but then realized who he was talking to.  A million things ran through his mind all at once after hearing those words, almost like confirming some deep dark secret among your friends.  He stared blankly for at least a few moments which may have seemed long to the old Chief, but then he answered with a question, "So you know about my mother and her illness?"

"Yes, unfortunately the town is a small one and people will gossip about everyone and everything", the Indian added with a disappointing look on his face, "Your mother is very sick and I fear that she needs all the help she can get."

Tyler could only look down to the ground at this point and try to hold back the tears he felt building up in his eyes.  Every time the subject of his mother's bout with cancer came up, he would almost shut down and fall into a depressive state.  He found the courage to at least respond with a slight nod and a few words, "Yes, she is not doing well."

"Then I would like to help you", the Navajo added as he sat down next to Tyler and gestured for him to also sit next to him.  The Indian carefully sat the box on his lap and reached inside to sort the items out.  He then looked at Tyler and asked, "Look inside the box again and this time tell me which one catches your eye and why."

Tyler at first hesitated not knowing what to expect and thinking he would see all of them in the same fashion, almost like a blur.  But when he glanced down in the box, he noticed something towards one corner of the box.  It was a very beautiful stone, very light blue in color, almost like Topaz, but he also noticed some very bright areas of what appeared to be yellow and sparkles of white as the eye moved up and down.  The stone was shaped in what appeared to be a heart, not perfectly cut, but distinct enough to give that impression.

"So which one sends a message to you?" the wise old man asked like a master to the apprentice.

Almost without hesitation, Tyler responded, "The one in the right corner, the light blue one shaped like a heart."

"So, you have picked the 'Heart of Otekah', a very important healing stone.  It is named after Otekah, the Sun Maiden, because of her role in the Navajo Nation as a healer.  She lived a very long life as a healer traveling from tribe to tribe, even among enemy tribes.  No one would ever harm her because they knew about her powers and mission to save lives."

"What happened to her?" the boy asked now very curious than ever.

"Well, she lived a very long life.  Some say she wandered out into the wilderness one day when she was near one hundred and three years old because it was her last healing mission and she would not return."

"What happened?  Who was she healing?"

"Well in that case", the Chief added, "she had met a woman in her village that had a very young child, a young girl about two years of age that had a very rare disease with no known cure.  She gave the woman the heart stone on the very same necklace you see in this box and told her to place it around the girl's neck when she slept that night.  She then told the mother that she would fall into a trance that night and dream of her daughter, and she would meet her in the dream world and use the power of the healing stone to cure her daughter."

"And was the woman's daughter healed?" Tyler asked now more excited than ever.

"Yes", the Navajo replied, "she was examined by two doctors after that incident and they both reported no more trace of the disease in her body.  They could not explain the immediate turn around and one of them included in the medical file the words 'unexplained homeopathic remission', because he could not write down 'miracle'."

"And what about Otekah, what happened to her?"

"Well, nobody knows for sure, but some say she entered the wilderness that very night and went into an extended dream state to cure the child.  But because she was so weak and old, she did not return to the land of the living and passed on to the spiritual world."

At that point, Chief Joseph lifted the necklace from the box and carefully placed it in Tyler's waiting hands.  Tyler's eyes grew wider as the necklace shimmered in front of him.  "I want you to present this as a gift to your mother tonight.  Please remember that she must wear it to receive any benefit."

"What if she doesn't want to wear it?" Tyler asked looking a bit concerned, "How do I get her to accept it?"

The one they called Injun Joe thought for a moment and then added, "Tell her it is a gift from the women of the Navajo tribe, from the reservation.  Your mother has donated her time at the schools there and she knows the sincerity of the women and children of the tribe."

"Yeah, that might work", Tyler exclaimed, "However, she is also very religious in her own right and might worry that wearing this might be in conflict with her own belief in God."

"Wow", the chief said rather impressed with Tyler's intuition into these matters, "then I would tell her that Navajos also believe in a supreme being.  God does exist and is all around us.  He is part of our lives yet is addressed differently by all who seek Him.  The key is how to approach Him and ask for help.  So what you must do is take the healing stone to your mother and in your heart you must believe that God and the goodness of the Earth will heal her affliction."

"And what will you do tonight?" the boy asked with a sense of urgency in his voice.

"I will go into a meditative state and channel my shaman powers to help your mother.  It may not be easy as I have not done this in a while, and it may leave me somewhat weak for a while.  However, I am a rather determined and stubborn old Navajo, so that is in my favor", he said with a smile on his face as he stood up in front of the boy.

Tyler stood up still clutching the Heart of Otekah in his hand and slowly extended his hand to the old Navajo.  "I, uh...I wanted to thank you for the gift and also your kind thoughts about my mother", he said as he reached further out to shake the old Indian's hand.

Chief Joseph reciprocated as both hands met firmly.  At first it was a bit awkward since the Indian towered over the small boy, but then it felt natural as they mutually moved their arms in harmony while grasping with a confident grip and emotion.

"I won't forget, I promise", the boy added as he turned to the door and opened it.

"Sounds like a plan, young Tyler Andrevich", the Indian stated rather formally, "May the spirits of the Earth and the goodness of what has been given to us by the creator protect you and your family from all sickness and harm."

Tyler stood there in amazement and awe.  Towering over him with a huge smile on his face was the very large Native American that instilled confidence in the young boy again.  He sounded like a high priest or Cardinal of the Catholic Church giving the boy a blessing to carry through the ages.  But he knew the Chief was not a priest or a member of any other religious organization, for that matter, but his message to the boy felt stronger than a sermon at Sunday Mass.  He couldn't put his finger on it, but just felt the power of it all and kept that feeling as his motivation to carry out the mission to save his mother.

But was any of it true?  How would he know for sure?  And why would the Chief lie to him or make it all up?  What would he gain by that?  The thoughts kept racing through his mind uncontrollably.  But Tyler could only go on what was in his gut at that time.  He felt and saw the power of the heart stone.  He wanted to believe and maybe that was all he needed to make it all true.  Deep down, he knew there was a chance it was all just Indian lore, perhaps to explain the things they did not comprehend, but he also knew there was always a chance it could all be real, and that was what he had hoped.  There were plenty of things the human race could not explain, and just maybe this was one of them.  And what did he have to lose?  The worst case would be his mother loved the new necklace and it made her happy, so it was all worth the effort either way.  At that moment he clenched his fist around the heart of Otekah and made a promise to himself to do his best to follow the instructions and help his mother.  He had nothing to lose, but everything to gain.

Tyler walked down the stairs of the old Indian's back porch and then turned one more time to wave in gratitude to the one the town saw as a nothing more than a thinly veiled character that walked straight out of a Mark Twain novel.  The Chief answered the boy's wave with one of his own and then turned and walked back to his kitchen door.  Tyler clutched the precious necklace with all his strength and telling himself he could not drop it or lose it before he got home to present it to his mother.  It was his new task, his new mission and he could not fail because, if he did, it could mean a completely different outcome for his mother's well-being.  The necklace might as well have been the Holy Grail itself and he was a Templar Knight protecting it with his life.  He picked up his pace a bit and focused on the path home with determination.

II


When Tyler arrived at home he wasn't sure anyone was around.  It was quiet and he called out for his mother and father in the house foyer, "Mom, Dad, you home?"

At first there was dead silence, then he heard a very faint murmur come from the den down the hall, "Tyler is that you?" Mary Andrevich responded.

Tyler bolted down to the den with a renewed exuberance and purpose and opened the door.  Inside sitting on an old reclined lounge chair under a Navajo throw was Tyler's mother.  She had appeared to have dozed off and had been reading a book.

"Hi Mom", Tyler said, "I'm sorry if I woke you up, but I needed to find you."

"That's okay", Mary answered sitting up in her chair and stretching a bit, "I needed to get up and get moving again.  I have a lot to do before more tests are run tomorrow.  Where were you?  You were gone for a while."

"I was with Michael and Gus playing kick ball", the young boy explained, "but Michael hit the ball into someone’s yard again and we had to retrieve it."

"So what took so long?" Mary asked with a puzzled and concerned look on her face.

"Well, we ended up talking to the person living at the house because he saw us in his yard."

"Did you get in trouble?"

"No, he just stopped us to talk to us and ask us questions", Tyler added, "He was not mad or anything, he just wanted to see who we were and what we were doing in his yard."

"Who is it?" the concerned mother replied, wondering where this was going.

"It's Chief Joseph Cloud Walker", Tyler responded with confidence and a slight smile on his face.

"Oh yes, Chief Joseph from the town council", his mother responded, "He is a very good man.  He fights for the rights of the local Indians and also the poor on the reservation."

"Yes, he told us all that", Tyler interjected, "And he also told us about more of the Indian traditions and powers of a shaman and other things."

"Wow, looks like you boys got an education today as well", Mary added jokingly.

"Yeah, I guess we did", Tyler said leading up to his main task, "But the other guys didn't stay long as I did with the Chief."

"So Michael and Gus took off and left you there?"  Mary asked with a concerned look on her face.

"No, we were all getting ready to leave and the Chief asked me to stay a little longer because he had something to show me."

"And what was that?" Mary added as her curiosity and concern were now elevated.

Tyler initially hesitated, but then reached into his front pocket and carefully pulled out the Navajo necklace.  It glimmered in the light as it rotated with each facet of bright yellow and white alternating across its light blue base.  He carefully lifted it and held it up in front of his mother.  Mary's face quickly changed from one of concern to one of surprise.  Her hands rose to meet her son's in perfect synchronicity as they both grasped the necklace with the same care and admiration.

"Wow, this is beautiful", she said as her eyes glazed over at the sight of the rather large and mesmerizing stone at the center of the necklace, "Whose is this?  Why do you have it?"

Now came the hard part.  Tyler knew he had to convince her to accept this necklace and wear it in order to receive its miraculous benefits, especially that very night when the Chief was planning to use his powers of healing in a special trance.  But he knew if he brought that up she may not know how to respond to that notion, or even believe it, so he had to get as clever as he could for her to adopt this gift.

"Well, Chief Joseph said he and the women of the Navajo reservation know about your sickness and wanted to present you with this necklace from their tribe.  They call it the 'Heart of Otekah' and it is given to those who are special and require a blessing from the tribe", Tyler responded biting his lip a little hoping his response was at least passable.

Mary looked at the necklace, turned it this way and that way, inspecting each view and facet as reflected from the soft light of her reading lamp.  As she moved it closer to the light she noticed more colors that jumped out at her with every turn and movement of the stone.  The light blue color was dominate but as she looked longer and deeper into its core she could swear she saw glimmers of a bright yellow, some white, some dazzling red and even a hint of purple.  It was as if the stone had a special energy of its own and the light that hit it exposed this energy with a kaleidoscope of color and intensity.

"Well now Tyler", Mary said looking at her son with such appreciative eyes and a kindness that only a mother and son could ever share, "I think this is a very beautiful necklace and a wonderful gesture on the part of the Navajo women and the Chief.  I will most certainly accept this and wear this in their honor."

As soon as Tyler heard that response his heart skipped a beat or two.  Then a big sigh of relief as she had a huge smile on her face and reached out to pull him closer to her for an embrace.  Tyler allowed his mother's arms to pull him in and hold his head tightly against her shoulders as she gently rocked him a bit.  This always made Tyler feel at ease when she did this, almost as if there was no safer place or position he could think of at that moment in time.

Mary placed a gentle kiss on Tyler's right cheek and then added, "It's getting late now, at least for me, and I have another doctor's appointment tomorrow for some more tests.  This one they say will be critical, so I guess I need to get as much rest as possible."

"Okay Mom", Tyler answered as he stood up and helped her stand up as well, "I'll help you upstairs if you like?"

"Yes, that would be nice", she responded looking tired but somewhat rejuvenated as she proudly wore her Navajo necklace that glimmered with every movement.  The two walked hand in hand up the stairs and to his parents' bedroom.  It was a little early in the evening but both of them knew that Mr. Andrevich would be in much later given the extra work he was doing lately for Mary's medical bills.

Tyler was also tired from the day's events so decided to grab a quick sandwich for dinner and then headed up to his room.  He had a lot on his mind but quickly finished his dinner and eventually collapsed on his bed.  He stared out the window toward Chief Joseph's house thinking about everything he was told today and all the possibilities awaiting him.  He had hope, but cautious hope at best.  At least his mother was smiling and feeling better from the gesture of receiving the necklace and maybe that was good enough.  He comforted himself with that last thought as he slowly dosed off into a deep sleep.

III


Morning came in what seemed like a flash.  Tyler felt his body move but he was not moving it.  He was groggy and really locked in a deep slumber, but there were these occasional nudges on his shoulder that alerted him this wasn't a dream.  Then he heard his Father's voice faintly in the background get stronger and stronger, "Tyler.....Tyler....time to get up."

Tyler slowly opened his eyes and saw his Dad sitting on the edge of the bed.  He had a smile on his face which had been rare these days and Tyler knew it.  This drove Tyler to wake up even faster and he popped up to a sitting position surprising his Dad a bit.

"Whoa tiger", Gabriel Andrevich exclaimed, "Take her easy there a bit", he continued still smiling and now moving his hand to Tyler's shoulder to steady him.  "Looks like you overslept a bit, but no worry, your Mom said you were very tired yesterday and had quite an adventure."

"Yeah...." Tyler started to respond, "I guess I was.  What time is it?"

"It is a little after 10:30 right now", Gabriel answered looking at his wrist watch.

"So I missed Mom's doctor's appointment?"

"Yes, but that's okay", his father responded, "She told me to let you sleep.  Why don't you get up and get dressed and come on down and we can all catch up, okay?"

"Yeah, sure", Tyler answered, "right away."

Gabriel Andrevich stood up, bent gently over Tyler's head and gave him a kiss on the top of the head.  He then left the room to go back down stairs.  Tyler immediately jumped up as if he had a coiled spring in his body that responded on command.  He immediately found a pair of jeans and a new t-shirt to throw on and ran to the bathroom to wash up and brush his teeth.  He knew that if he skipped the latter his parents would surely know and make him do it anyway, so he just focused with due diligence to get it done.

Tyler flew down the stairs faster than he ever had in the past.  He arrived at the kitchen and saw his Mom and Dad sitting down at the kitchen table looking over results the doctors had given Mary this morning.  When Mary saw Tyler come around the corner she immediately lit up with a huge smile.  Their eyes met and locked.  Tyler slowed down in his tracks to almost gauge her response as if that would be some sort of message to him.  She responded by holding her arms out to receive a huge hug.  Tyler saw that and came running toward her.  He fell into her arms and they hugged as if they had not seen each other in years.

"Tyler", Mary started, "I have some good news for you".  She was beaming with energy and what some people would call a glow about her.  She moved her hands from Tyler's shoulders to his face, one hand on each cheek caressing her son like he was five years old. Ordinarily that would embarrass Tyler being twelve, but this was one time he did not mind.

"The scans they did today show a reduction in mass", she continued, "The tumor is shrinking at a really fast rate.  In fact the doctor said he has not seen a case like this in years.  It's like it is a miracle."

Tyler couldn't believe what he was hearing.  Was it true?  Did the necklace with the shaman powers really work?  What happened last night?  His mind was racing at a million miles a second.  He knew he had to calm down and rationally figure this whole thing out.  But, then again, what did that matter.  His mother was healing.  Her cancer was disappearing and he could ultimately care less how it occurred as long as it was true.

"But....but", he started to reply; "Did you wear it last night?" he asked as he looked around the base of her neck for any signs of the necklace, but could see none.  So his heart rate picked up a bit as he began to get confused and worried.

"Wear what, son?" his father added looking a bit perplexed about the whole conversation.  Mary smiled and thought about it for no more than a few seconds.  She knew exactly what Tyler was talking about.

"Oh, you mean the Navajo necklace you gave me", she answered with a calming smile on her face.

"Yes, the 'Heart of Otekah'", Tyler replied, "The gift from the women at the Navajo reservation."  Tyler was being careful to deflect the true source and reason so his parents would not think he was part of some mystical conspiracy.

"Actually, you are right", his mother continued, "I normally take off my jewelry at night before falling asleep, but for some reason last night, I was so tired I could not lift a finger.  I felt compelled to lie down in bed with it on.  So I did sleep with it on last night.  But then I took it off in the morning before going to the doctor's appointment."

Tyler's expression went from one of a very tense and nervous young man to a very relaxed and overly exuberant young man within a matter of seconds of hearing that fact.  He could not contain himself.  He realized what this meant but could not blurt it out.

"Why are you so concerned about your Mom's necklace, son?" his Dad asked now curious about this subject as well.

Tyler had to think fast on his feet, "Well", he started, "I just wanted to be sure it wasn't lost.  I was responsible for giving it to Mom as a gift for her good health and well-being.  That is what Chief Joseph said."  Tyler than ran up to his mother and gave her a big hug. "I am so glad you are feeling better and got that good news.  This is most excellent".

"Yes, most excellent" Mary exclaimed with a big smile on her face, "and you know what? It comes from you and your Dad.  All the love and attention has helped me to heal."  With that Gabriel approached them both and they all ended up in a group hug.  For whatever reason, his mother was doing better.  That was all that mattered to this family of three.  It seemed all was good in the world, at least at that moment in time.

A few seconds later, someone was knocking loudly at the front door.  Repetitive knocking that wouldn't stop.  Gabriel looked a bit annoyed but smiled and said "Seems like your old buddies are up to something Tyler."

Tyler broke from the huddle and ran to the front door.  When he got there he saw Michael and Gus standing outside both pounding the door incessantly.  Tyler opened it up and greeted his two rambunctious friends.  They were both panting a bit since they ran over to his house as fast as they could while breathing in the hot and dry air of New Mexico.  Gus started since he was in a little better shape, "Ty...you have to come", he interjected with a few pauses here and there to catch his breath.

"Why Gus, what's wrong?" Tyler responded now more concerned than curious.  By this time Mary and Gabriel also approached the boys at the door.

"We just came from the other side of town and saw the ambulance and the police chief", Gus continued.

"What? What's going on?  Who is it for?"

Michael finally caught his breath and wanted to get his words in.  He inched his way closer to the door elbowing out Gus a bit to speak to the Andrevich family.  "It's Injun Joe!" he exclaimed, taking some of the thunder away from Gus.  "Gus and I passed his house this morning and we saw the police chief's car and an ambulance."

"Does anyone know what happened?"  Tyler responded, his voice now cracking a bit as he feared someone or something may have hurt the older Native American, the man that entrusted him with a new secret.

"No", Gus answered claiming back his spot on the stage, "police chief Sanchez saw us and told us specifically to run down to your house and have you come back as soon as you could.  He would not tell us anymore."

"Well that sounds a bit odd", Gabriel interjected, "Why would he ask that of a little boy?"

Mary glanced over to Tyler and knew how close he got attached to Chief Joseph even though it was a short period of time.  "Well", she added, "I think if the police chief requests Tyler to show up, we better see what this is all about.  I'll drive Tyler and the boys back down to Chief Joseph's house and see what the sheriff wants.  Besides, you have to report back to the ranch for the deliveries today.  You can't afford to miss that."

"Mary, are you sure?" Gabriel asked looking more than a little concerned for his wife in her recent condition.

"Yes, not a problem", she continued, "Tyler was there for me.  Now it is time I repay him."  She glanced over at her son who was looking at her the entire time and their eyes met reassuring one another they wanted it no other way.  "Okay then young men", she said to all three boys standing in the door jam, "It's time to go and see what the sheriff wants."

Mary grabbed her car keys and walked down the path to where the car was parked.  Tyler, Gus and Michael piled into the car, with Tyler up front and his buddies in the back seat.  Mary pulled out of the driveway with a little more urgency than usual, but still at a safe and conservative speed.  The last thing she wanted was another incident on this day knowing something major was happening at Chief Joseph's house.

As they got closer to the house they noticed more cars parked around the residence and, as Gus and Michael claimed, an ambulance parked in front of the house, backed up toward the front door with the ambulance doors wide open.  That alone was not a good sign and all the passengers in Mary's car knew that.

Mary pulled the car over across the street from the house and they all got out of the car.  Tyler was the most hesitant as if he felt something was dreadfully wrong.  Call it a bad feeling or a six sense, but he just knew something was out of order based on how his stomach was feeling at that point in time.  The two other boys out ran Tyler and his mother and headed straight for the back of the ambulance to get a glance in.  When they got within ten feet, a police officer working for the sheriff stopped them and held them off from getting any closer.  "Whoa, whoa...hold up guys", he started, "What are you doing here?"

Gus spoke up first, not wanting Michael to beat him to the punch again, "We were told by the sheriff to go find Tyler Andrevich and bring him back here."

"Is that so?" the younger police officer replied, not necessarily recognizing any of the boys at that point. "Well, I don't know where the sheriff is right now, but I think you better wait here until I can verify all this.  Do you know why he wanted Tyler?"

"No", Gus answered a little more muted, "He just grabbed us when we were here earlier and told us to go find him and bring him back here."

As they were talking, Sheriff Sanchez came out of the front door holding his hat in one hand.  When he reached the sunny street he quickly put it on and continued to walk in the direction of the boys and Mary Andrevich, whom he recognized immediately from town council meetings.

"John", Sheriff Sanchez called out as he waved his hand, "It's okay, please let Tyler and his mother through."

Police officer John Fontana held up Gus and Michael but looked back about twenty feet and asked the young man looking rather pale and nervous, "Are you Tyler Andrevich?  Chief Sanchez would like to talk to you and your mother."  Tyler looked up and saw a rather imposing figure near the front of the house holding something in his hands he could not place exactly at that distance.  He walked up closer glancing back at his mother to make sure she was following, which she was, and he continued moving closer to the police officer.

Tyler shuffled nervously forward to within a few feet of the officer and answered quietly, "Yes I am Tyler Andrevich and that is my mother behind me."

"Okay, well please go talk to the sheriff, he is waiting for you", officer Fontana instructed the boy and gestured to his mother it was okay to proceed.

Tyler took a deep breath and paused for what might have seemed a lifetime but was really about a second or two.  Then he continued moving closer to the sheriff, a person his parents knew well from many town council meetings and other occasions over the past few years.  When he got close enough, Sheriff Sanchez nodded to Mary Andrevich and began with a greeting, "Hello Mary, it has been some time.  How are you?"

Mary smiled graciously and replied, "Hi Tomas.  I'm feeling much better today, thanks."

"Well", he continued, "I wish we were meeting under better circumstances, but I have some bad news."

"Is it Chief Joseph?" Tyler interjected, "Is he okay?"

Sheriff Sanchez took one knee in front of the boy and continued, "Unfortunately the Chief passed away last night from what appears to be a heart attack.  The town coroner needs to put out an official report later, but it appears he died either during the night or very early this morning in his bed.  I'm sorry to have to tell you this Tyler.  I realize it is a lot to take in right now.  I understand that you, Mike and Gus spoke with him yesterday?"

"Yes", Tyler answered after a slight pause, "We accidentally kicked our ball in his yard and went to get it.  Then he came out and spoke with us for a while."

"Well then, apparently you made an impression on the old Chief", Sanchez continued, "He left this box full of Indian artifacts with a note just for you, Tyler.  Do you have any idea why he would do that?"

At this point Tyler was overcome with grief, surprise and even excitement.  If this was the same box he saw the other day, he knew exactly what it was and what it meant.  He thought carefully about his response to the police chief and then spoke up, "Well, he did show us a box full of some old Indian charms and arrow heads.  He told me they were special to him and they needed to be protected and cared for."

"Yes, well apparently he wanted you to have them all after he passed.  From what we can tell he wrote this letter and taped it to the box.  The box was found by his side at his bed."  Chief Sanchez pulled out the note and handed it to Tyler.  Tyler's hand was shaking a bit from the emotional state thrust upon him, but he reached out and grabbed it.  He opened it and read the Chief's last words:

'In case I do not have time to add this to my will, please make sure Tyler Andrevich gets this box.  He knows the value and importance of these articles and will take good care of them.'

And further down the note he addressed Tyler directly:

'Tyler, remember what we discussed.  You have a responsibility to continue this tradition.  Please honor what time has passed on to you and do what is right and just.  And whatever you do, do not let these precious vehicles be given to the wrong hands.  They carry an enormous power and responsibility.'

"What did he mean by the last few lines, Tyler?" the sheriff asked inquisitively.  "Do you have any idea?"

"Well", Tyler started to respond but added an extra few seconds to his response.  At this point, every word was crucial. The chief made it real clear what was involved with these healing stones and arrow heads and the amount of power, both good and bad, that they carried.  "Well, I think he told me they go back several generations and are important to the local Indian tribes in this area.  He wanted someone to take care of them and make sure they ended up in a proper place", he responded biting his lip a bit at the end waiting on a reaction from the police sheriff.

"Why wouldn't he just leave them to the local museum then?" the sheriff responded, "Seems a bit odd he would entrust you with these, no offense young man".

At that point, Tyler felt like he was caught in a small trap.  You can't plead against that logic and he couldn't tell the sheriff what he really wanted to say, that these items were powerful givers of life or takers of death as the Chief told the boys earlier.  That no one person should control this power, but someone needed to make sure they were used for the right cause.  And apparently Chief Joseph found his guardian in Tyler.  It was all there in black and white.

To Tyler's surprise, he did not have to think of a clever response.  His mother intervened on his behalf. "Sheriff", she began, "You know I am on the town council and also have been part of several committees to further the history and preservation of the local tribes.  I believe these articles are in good hands and I will make sure Tyler carries that through."  Mary felt compelled to respond and defend this decision. Was it because of her son or something else drawing her into the moment?  She didn't know exactly why herself, but knew she felt better than ever and it all felt right.  Perhaps this was the best feeling in her entire life.  She felt an overwhelming warmth and peace inside.  Around her neck lay the Heart of Otekah, partially visible below her collar line.  Without even realizing it, she reached up to touch the stone, rubbing it gently between her fingers as she stared back at the young officer of the law.

"Well then", Tomas Sanchez responded, "I guess there is no harm in letting him have this.  After all, Chief Joseph wanted it that way according to this will.  I hope now he has some peace and rest in whatever afterlife he believes in."

"Yes," Mary added, "He was a strong leader for his community and people, and never stopped working for their cause up and until his death.  He will be missed greatly."

Tyler looked up at the sheriff as he held the box tightly in his hands and close to his body.  He knew now what was entrusted to him and what it really meant.  "Thanks Sheriff", he said quietly yet with affirmation, "I will take very good care of these items and make sure they are preserved for all people to admire.  And I will learn the history of each one as they are important to the Navajos and other tribes as well."

"Excellent", the sheriff said with a slight smile as he rose to his feet and patted the young man on the head, "I am sure you will do a good job, Tyler.  You are free to go now.  I am sure the council will organize a proper funeral for the Chief including members from the reservation, so we will see you both there."  He then nodded to the boy, glanced at his mother, tipped his hat and walked back toward the house.

Mary smiled as well and looked down at her son, never more proud then at that moment.  Death alone is hard to take and here was this young boy evolving into a mature young man in front of her eyes.  "Let's go home, son", she said, "It's time we get back."

Tyler looked up at his mother with as much love and happiness a son could spare.  He knew his mother had been affected by the Heart of Otekah and she was now looking and feeling better than ever.  As he walked back towards the car, he glanced up at her on occasion.  When he did, he saw a woman's face both illuminated by the bright morning sun and darkened by an occasional shadow from the large Elm tree above them.  It was beautiful and somewhat surreal.  But all he cared about at that moment was the fact that his mother would be able to walk with him for many years to come.

As they approached the end of the pathway, officer Fontana was standing and waiting to see what had happened.  When they got closer he spotted the box Tyler was carrying.  "So is that what Injun Joe gave you?" he asked with a smirk on his face.

At first Tyler was almost immune to the comment and normally would not give it a second thought.  However, now he realized here was a man who recently died, and in death, he was still being disrespected.  The anger and defense built up inside of him.  It was too much to keep in.  "His name was Chief Joseph!" he shouted back firmly and with resolution.

"What did you say little man?" the officer retorted.  By now a crowd had been gathering around as news spreads fast in a little town.  Neighbors and people from way up the street, and they were whispering and chattering no doubt about what they were seeing.  Mike and Gus were also standing near the car and heard it all.  It was an awkward moment for a handful of seconds before Tyler was able to speak again.

"I said his name was Chief Joseph Cloud Walker of the Dine Nation, and he was a shaman and protector of the sick and injured.  He should be remembered for that and not disrespected", he added quite loudly and clear for all in the immediate area to here.  At first there was silence from the crowd and many with a look of amazement on their faces.  Mary Andrevich simply looked down and squeezed her son's hand with a smile.  Tyler smiled back and felt good about what he just did.

"Well now Mr.Andrevich", an apologetic officer of the law responded, "you are correct.  He was a fine man and good town council leader.  He will be missed."  He then smiled and patted the boy on his back.  Mary nodded to the officer and proceeded toward her car.  Gus and Mike followed quickly behind Tyler eager to discuss the box and contents with him.

When they got closer to the car, Gus and Mike surrounded Tyler as he opened the back door of the car.  Gus stopped him briefly and whispered so only the three of them could hear, "So you got the whole box with all the magic stones in it?" Gus started as he checked around to make sure no one else heard them.

"Yep", Tyler replied quickly, "It appears as if this is everything he showed us the other day."

"What are you going to do with them?"  Michael intervened.

"I am not sure.  But I do know that the Chief trusted me with them, so I have to make sure they are kept safe and respected.  I need to learn about each one."

"Cool" Gus responded, "Let us know if you need our help."

"Yeah", Michael added, "You can trust us; we're your best buddies."

With that Tyler smiled and got into the back seat of his mom's car.  Mary was waving to a few neighbors while getting into the driver's seat.  Tyler shut the door and sat in the middle of the back seat with the box sitting firmly on his lap and secured by both hands.  Gus and Mike backed off a few feet and waved at Tyler.  Tyler lifted his right hand slowly and gave them a quick wave.

The car pulled away and Tyler looked outside.  It was a little strange as people from the neighborhood and all parts of town had lined up on both sides of the street and were looking at Tyler and his mom.  The car proceeded down the street slowly as if it were in a parade procession.  Tyler looked out and thought how odd it was that people, some of whom he barely knew, had all their attention focused on him and his mother for this instant in time.  Everyone was curious about what he had in his hands and would be talking about it for weeks and months to come.  He knew he had the obligation to the Chief to never expose its secrets to anyone not worthy.

Tyler sat quietly, his mother proceeding carefully down the street heading back home.  He wondered if his mother was truly cured now from the healing stone.  He had only faith to go on and time to prove it out.  However, ever since she first put on the necklace she appeared different to him, somewhat more at rest and more exuberant.  He looked up at her and she glanced back at him in the rear view mirror.

"You okay, Ty?" she said in a very quiet and soothing voice.  He was still clutching the box but lifted his eyes and looked back at her.  He did not notice it before, maybe it was because he was looking at her reflection in the mirror and it was more obvious now, but there was a faint warm glow about her face and head.  Her eyes shone brighter than before with radiance he had not seen in years.  Something was different about her and he could only wonder if this was due to the power of the 'Heart of Otekah' stone.  If so, what did that mean for everything else he held in that box?

"I'm fine, mom", he replied looking up with a slight smile, "thanks for being with me and allowing me to keep this gift from the Chief."

"Of course, son", Mary Andrevich added, "I know that it is important to you to have these items.  I know you will take good care of them and follow the Chief's wisdom."

"Of course, mom, I will", Tyler stated with conviction.  He then looked down to the box sitting on his lap.  He carefully opened the lid and looked at the array of unusual stones and colors one more time, examining each piece carefully.  He knew his life had changed forever this day.  He knew he would forever be responsible for something far greater than he could explain.  The emotion had built up at that moment and a tear fell slowly down his left cheek.  He quickly wiped it, sat up straight and took a deep breath.

Fully resolved with his decision, Tyler placed the box down on the seat next to him and shifted to the right side of the car to look out the window.  His vision quickly moved from a nearby ranch in the foreground to a distant set of hills in the background.  He wasn't sure, but he thought he caught a glimpse of something moving on the far ridge of a mountain trail on the western horizon.  It was hard to see because there were some remnants of an early morning fog up in the hills, but it appeared to be an older Native American Indian.  He blinked his eyes a few times to be sure, but as he glanced back, the Indian appeared to stop and wave to Tyler.  From that distance he could not be certain, and probably never would be from that moment onward, but the Indian was dressed in full decorative ceremonial clothing and headdress from what appeared to be the Navajo tribe, or at least similar to what he had seen at the reservation in the past.  And at that moment in time as his car passed by, the figure stopped and raised his two arms in celebration to the sky.  At that exact moment, Tyler saw everything but the Indian's feet, which appeared to be blanketed by a small layer of fog, as if he were walking forward on a thin cloud layer.

"Chief Cloud Walker", Tyler smiled as he mumbled to himself.  He sank back into his car seat with a grin on his face and more tears in his eyes.  He was now at peace with his fate and looked forward to the challenges ahead.

THE END


References:  The name 'Injun Joe' is used in reference to the character in Mark Twain's novel, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, published in 1876.  The term 'Injun' is derogatory in nature and it is the intention of this author to make that clear throughout the story.
© Copyright 2014 Edmund Curie (edmundcurie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1969892-The-Heart-of-Otekah