*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1970323-Beauty-Conceals
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1970323
You can't see what's hidden.
I could remember every single detail of when we met. His shirt color (black flannel-like button-up), the design of the pockets on the butt of his straight-jeans (beautiful tan stitching in lacey patterns), the way his hair was done (or-- not done, in his case).
My heart pounds at the recollection of memories with him. It's ridiculous.
The day we met, we were at our county fair. He spotted me from about mid-way up on the tallest spinney ride in the whole area, and that's where I spotted him, too. When the ride was over, I followed him with my eyes, knowing that I needed to meet him. He jogged over to me, and he looked at me straight in the face, and he said, "Hi, my name's Stetson." With an outstretched hand, his smile made my heart flutter, even as he let out a few heavy breaths.
I remained calm and collected (like any other 17-year old girl), as I took his hand in mine and said, "Hello there, I'm Natalie, the pleasure is mine."
He flipped my hand in a way that caused me to hold his hand like a lady, and with a swift move, kissed the top of my hand and replied, "No, no, the pleasure is all mine." and ended with a wink. I forgot people might be watching. I forgot that there might be any other people at all.

For months after that, we spent at least 6 days per week together, with an exception to some Sundays, which were the Lord's days. It wasn't until I was 19 that I realized that I didn't need a religion. There were a few Sundays that Daddy would allow Stetson to come with us to the Lord's Home. He'd often say, "Go up the street, and talk to STUD-son. I bet STUD-son wants to be with you."
I suppose that was a joke that Daddy found funny.

After one Sunday at the Lord's Home, Daddy told Stetson he could come home with us. It was a nice gesture- one that Stetson accepted. We all hopped into Daddy's white '68 Chevy pick-up truck, and went home (I got the middle seat). We all sat down, and ate a peanut butter sandwich (Daddy's favorite). Daddy even said that Stetson didn't need to call him Mr. Anderson anymore. I giggled, and decided that Stetson could call Daddy "Daddy". I think Daddy thought that was a ridiculous Idea, but he accepted it, and from then on, Daddy was "Daddy" to Stetson.

Not too long after that, though, a few real bad things happened. It was real bad to me, but Stetson didn't think much of it.
He started talking to Darla from up the way. She thought he was gooder than the cat's meow. That bothered me a little bit. Every time I'd see them talking, I'd walk up real cute like, and put my arm through Stetson's. He never minded, until after about 10 times of that happening.
I put my arm through his, and kissed his cheek, and he pulled his arm out from around mine, and just kept on talking to that Darla.
She giggled at him, and they walked away from me real cute-like, leaving me there. It made me real mad, and I could feel my heart sinking, and my ears turning red.

I needed to ask him about it. I wanted to know if he knew that it was actually me, that it was actually his baby-girl, and not some other sleaze-bag lady. I Just wanted to be with him, and he pushed me away, and that made me real sad about things. I saw him walkin' up Main that day, and he had his arm around Darla's shoulder. I started seein' black spots in my eyes.

I guess a lot of things happened that day. Things happened that I didn't even know had happened. Some days, I ask the folks here what happened that day, at least then I get company, and a story while they feed me. It's nice.
All I have to reminisce on are these memories of him..
After all, I don't get any visitors here except for Daddy.
The only other person I'd like to get a visit from I killed.
© Copyright 2014 Paige Aaron (paigeaaron56 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1970323-Beauty-Conceals