*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1971843-Nexus-Crossings-chapter-6
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Brahma
Rated: 13+ · Other · Sci-fi · #1971843
no synopsis yet.
Bashir briefly debated whether he wanted to get a drink from the replicator but stayed put on his bed scotching up so he could sit up and look his uninvited guest in the eye, :So what does Section thirty-one want me to do for them this time?" Bashir asked leaving no sense of hospitality in his voice.

"Yes, I'll answer that in a second. But, if you don't mind indulging me in my curiosity a moment, in Sloan’s reports, he has waited at the foot of your bed on more than one occasion. Now, I can understand the psychological effect this would have, but from the way his report was written it felt as if he derived some form of entertainment from doing that. What's your opinion?" James asked in seemingly honest curiosity.

Bashir was even more annoyed now than when he first saw him earlier, "How would I know? He was your protégé."

Cunningham dismissed Bashir's response with a casual wave, "Fair enough. Now, down to the reason I'm here. Simply put, we would like you to gather information on this new..." he paused a moment thinking of the right word, "Potential threat," he said delicately.

"And how am I supposed to do that?" Bashir asked skeptically, and understandably so.

"Really doctor, even after hearing from your friends about how one of their ships was able to destroy the Borg ship in two shots? I'd of thought that all those years conversing with Garak would have gained you a healthy dose of paranoia."

"I don't have time or the patience to play your games."

James sighed and rolled his eyes," Several Starfleet personnel including official representatives of Bajor will be meeting shortly. They'll be discussing what to do with the "DES". At some point it will be suggested that a number of Starfleet officers will be sent as unofficial emissaries/observers. Think of it as an officer exchange like the ones between the Federation and the Klingon Empire."

"And if I refuse this "illustrious" assignment?" Bashir asked as he got to his feet.

"I won't deny that I'd be a little put out should you refuse but we'll simply move on and get someone else to do the job."

"That's it? I'm not going to find myself in a Section thirty-one jail cell charged with treason later am I?" Bashir asked giving a sour glower.

"That's it! No idle threats to you, your friends or anyone else you hold dear. No efforts will be made to sabotage your career by us or anyone we could influence to do so. This is just a simple request from me to you to do what you would have normally done had I not approached you. Just with a little more... thoroughness," he said somehow ominously.

"Just what is it do you want me to look for specifically?"

"When you scanned those first three at the airlock with your tricorder, we found some intriguing results. From the few genes we could identify the "Phoenix" woman has an extremely remarkable healing ability. So good in fact it suggests that it would halt the aging process. An invariable fountain of youth as it were. It doesn't hurt that the genetic make-up suggests full immunity to virtually every known disease we've encountered. We are also very interested in the android that came with them. Of course you know, pretty much any idiot can build an android body these days. Even the positronic neural network, while still difficult to establish initially, can be made. What we're looking for, doctor, is the ability to create true AI comparable to the Data android. A programmable sentient that can function on its own and adapt to new unforeseen situations that weren't programed into it."

James continued, "And from various conversations we've recorded, including your own, they have the ability to transfer memories into android bodies. Quite easily in fact," James said with a hint of excitement in his voice.

"So you want me to fully analyze Phoenix’s blood for compatibility to human genes and to try and duplicate the process they used to copy and transfer a person's memories to an android body."

"Essentially, yes. There are other things we'd like investigated but those items are outside your skill set, so just focus on these two things," James said and got up and started for the door.

"I wish Section thirty-one never existed," Bashir muttered under his breath.

James stopped, hearing Bashir's remark, he turned around, "Without Section thirty-one there wouldn't even be a Federation for the Dominion to invade doctor. You see, just several years ago in fact a previously unknown parasitic species had infiltrated key positions in Starfleet. They borough into a person’s brain so they can take control of the host body. The host unfortunately dies from this and I'd assume this is an unbearable experience. Never the less, the plot was uncovered before serious damage was done but not before they sent a signal beyond Federation space. Section thirty-one then assembled a sizable fleet and went to where the signal was sent and found a small gathering of ships. All of them were infested with the parasite so we had to destroy them all," James said saying the last part matter-of-factly.

He gave Bashir a minute to digest what he just told him before adding, "And in regards to your situation, doctor, you have a lot to thank Sloan for. When we heard that you "developed" a cure for the changeling virus that was afflicting your friend your friend we were split on what to do. Some of us wanted to let you cure the changelings so they'd feel indebted to us and stop the was while others, like Sloan, believed that we should let them die since it would make it easier to fight your opponent when their head's chopped off. Fortunate for you doctor, Sloan was more persuasive," and with that, James walked out of Bashir's quarters leaving him to think whatever he wanted.

-------------

Colonel Kira had just sat down in the boardroom once again. Sitting at the head of the table she looked to her right seeing Admiral Ross, general Dorn and ambassador Saven. Captain Avries and "Phoenix" were to her left. Kira could swear she could see smugness in Saven's eyes when he raised an eyebrow ever so slightly after making eye contact for a brief second.

"Oh how I'd like to smack that look off his face," Kira thought to herself but instead slapped an open palm on the table, "Okay, I'd like to apologize or the last few days. I swear that's not a common occurrence here."

Admiral Ross let out what sounded like a cough distracting Kira momentarily.

"... So getting back to the discussion, what is it did you come here for?"

Avries adjusted his chair, "Since the war in my universe has been over for the past four years, we've began exploring for scientific reasons again. When the zero-space drive, a device that we used to enter your universe, was created the theoretical possibilities of its scientific uses were put on the back burner till after the war ended. The entire experiment was to send a group of ships into another universe, and if it was "friendly", explore the local region."

"And what assistance will you need from the Federation?" Saven asked, seemingly bored.

Avries looked across the room sparing a glance at each expecting look, "We'll need star charts of the area that are detailed enough to display foreign territories, we'd prefer to stay out of the internal affairs of any hostile aliens. We will also require an unclaimed system with at least one planet capable of supporting human life."

The last statement caused some murmurs between Admiral Ross and the ambassador while the Klingon general let out a low displeasing growl.

"That's quite a request," Admiral Ross stated, "Is there anything else?"

"Just autonomy inside the system."

The admiral looked at each of his colleagues, "Thank you captain, please excuse us while we go over your requests."

Avries got up and gave the admiral a hesitant salute, "Thank you admiral sir. I'll be waiting on my ship for your final decision on the matter." With that he left the boardroom with Phoenix, a Bajoran deputy escorting them the whole way.

Admiral Ross sucked in a large breath of air before letting it out in a short huff, "So, what does everyone think about these people?"

"They are... dangerously unpredictable in battle," general Dorn started, "Even more so when they fight hand to hand."

"Look general, I admit I was impressed when I heard about the fight at Quarks bar but..," Kira started.

"I was talking about their android soldiers, colonel. I wish I was there to see it but the worriers I sent to guard the station have told me that they fight like a wounded animal when one of their own was dispatched. Those who are near when one is fallen immediately set upon the attacker with such furiousness that it pales a Klingons bloodlust in the heat of battle."

"You sound as if you admire them for that general," Ross said.

Dorn narrowed his eyes, "A Klingons bloodlust is far different than what you would call a "blind rage" admiral. When a Klingon succumbs to the bloodlust of battle we can still tell an ally from an enemy."

Admiral Ross nodded, "I'll have to admit it that their fleet formations leave me more than a little concerned. Using multiple short-range warp jumps in a system is crazy enough, but doing that while in a battle zone. What concerns me even more is their technology. They've shown quite plainly that they don't need the wormhole to enter our universe so even if we say no, we can't bottle them up at the entrance if we wanted to. We have to do something because if we leave them be they could fall under the influence of one of our enemies. I don't need to tell any of you about the less than ethical war profiteering that we're all just starting to address now. Not to mention splinter groups that have their own visions for the Alpha quadrant," Ross looked around the table, "So what do we do?"

"The answer is simple if not logical admiral," Saven replied, "We cannot afford to allow these humans o wonder aimlessly with the capabilities they possess. The logical course to take is to give them what they requested. However in exchange for our information we will impose restrictions on their military capabilities while present in the Alpha Quadrant. If they wish to explore the region they will require a Federation escort to ensure against "diplomatic incidence". Also, members of the Federation council would like us to send observers to see if sustainable relations can be upheld."

The admiral nodded, "Agreed. General Dorn, do you have anything else to say on the matter?"

Dorn mulled the question over in his head humming, or rather growling softly, "I will speak to Martok and see if we can spare a ship or two to look over our new allies’ shoulders when they think we aren't watching.

Ross nodded again, "And what about you colonel? You've been quiet this whole time."

Kira was sitting back in her chair, one hand holding her head up as she slouched to one side, and then looked up at Ross' prodding look, "Hmm?"

"Is everything all right colonel?"

"I'm sorry, yes, I was just thinking about something else. What was it?"

"Do you have any thoughts about how we should proceed with captain Avries and his people?"

"Yes, no... I don't know... I'd have to say everyone's already covered what's needed to be done."

Admiral Ross was skeptical about Kira's response but decided not to pursue it, "Ok, now for the hard part. Where do we put them?"

--------

Jake Sisko and Nog were up on the catwalk of the promenade. They were both looking down at a girl of seventeen or eighteen sitting at a table in the replimate drinking what looked to be coffee will thumbing through a holographic display projected from her bracer. She had long blond hair tied in a high pony tail. Jake and Nog had taken a quick infatuation with her.

"Have you ever seen a more beautiful girl?" Jake asked.

Nog sighed, "Yeah, too bad you'll never get a shot with her."

Jake jerked up as he turned to Nog, "What's that supposed to mean?"

Nog flung his hand out to the girl's direction, "Just look at her Jake, she's wearing a uniform, which means she has her heart set on her career, which means she won't have time for you. Besides, everyone knows a woman likes a man in uniform," he said while straightening out his collar.

Jake just rolled his eyes and shook his head, "So, how do you want to do this?"

"We'll approach her, tell her the best qualities about ourselves and let her decide who is better."

"So we wing it and winner takes all," Jake stated.

"Exactly," Nog proclaimed.

"Deal," Jake replied before shaking Nog's hand.

They then made their way down to the replimate. They walked up to the girl's table who didn't seem to notice them as she took another drink of her coffee until Jake cleared his throat causing her to look up.

"Hi! My name is Jake," he said giving her an awkward but friendly wave.

"And I'm Nog," he added equally awkward and friendly.

"Hello," the girl replied casually before looking back to her holo-pad.

Jake looked at Nog as if asking him "what now?” Nog was just as clueless until Jake nudged him causing him to blurt out, "And what's your name?"

The girl let go of the holo-pad which then vanished from existence, "My name is Sata Bishop."

Jake nodded, "That's a really nice name," he then groaned inwardly at what he just said.

"Thanks, I think it's a nice name too. So, Jake and Nog, what is it you do when you're not trying to pick up girls like me?"

Jakes mind blanked for two seconds before he was able to answer, "Um, I'm a writer, I write books. And I'm also a journalist."

"A writer and a journalist," Sata remarked teasingly.

"Ye-yeah, I covered the Dominion occupation of the station during the war a few months ago," Jake said with the hint of pride.

Sata took a sip of her drink, "Mmhmm, did your journalism help your Federation or the occupied citizens?"

Jake was taken aback by what she said,"...What?"

Sata waved her hand apologetically, Sorry about that. Just some biased opinions from back home. They seemed more wanting to focus on how badly we were losing than helping evacuate."

"I'm sorry to hear that," Jake said.

Nog then shoved Jake a little, "Well I'm a pilot."

"Wow, I used to be one too. Tell me, is that how you lost your leg?"

Nog stiffened and unconsciously scratched his knee above his prosthetic leg.

Sata winced, "Sorry I didn't mean to draw attention to it."

"How did you know?"

"There's an old Earth saying, usually an insult, "it takes one to know one." I've unfortunately lost a few limbs too. And after that I just began to notice things. No matter how good a prosthetic is or how natural it feels, an amputee leaves a little telltale that another can pick up."

Nog was about to say something when a big bear of a man walked up to the table, "Captain, Avries has requested a general meeting on the Hathaway."

Nog instantly went rigid on realizing he was flirting with a superior officer.

"Well it can't be helped. It was nice meeting you two, good bye," Sata said as she got up and walked away with the man. As the two made their way through the promenade to the turbolift the man built like a bear, who's actually Sata's XO, spoke, "I'm not going to ask if you enjoyed flirting with those kids but did you at least tell them that you're an ArtForm?"

"Well I didn't go right out and say it but, yes, it was implied."

"What about telling them you're actually twenty years older than you look?"

"Slipped my mind," Sata said mischievously, "Side effects maybe? At any rate, it's good to be young," she said with a stretch as they entered the turbolift. As the doors closed, her XO told the computer their destination. As the turbolift hummed to life Sata, her arms still stretched behind her head, turned to her XO, "So did we get a response from them yet?" she asked, seriousness creeping into her voice.

"Not yet, but the frequency they gave us is probably out of date by now. They might not even be monitoring it since it’s been so long."

"Maybe, they might already be here and they're just spying on us for now," Sata said listlessly before stretching up and letting her arms fall to her sides as she began to hum a random tune to herself.

-----------

O'Brian had just finished replicating the part for the mobile emitter and began assembling it in the infirmary when he looked up to see Bashir walk in looking like hell.

"Julian, I know things have been busy the last few days but you do need to sleep."

Bashir got a coffee from the replicator before sitting down in his chair. "Normally I would agree but I had an unexpected visitor an hour ago," he replied while breathing in the aroma of his drink which seemed to reinvigorate him slightly.

"Hang on; I thought Ezri was helping out on the Venture. How'd she get back so soon?"

Bashir took a deep gulp of his coffee and let it settle in his stomach a moment before answering, "It wasn't Ezri, and even if it were her, she knows I've been working hard these last few days and would have let me sleep."

"Then who?"

"Our esteemed friends from Section thirty-one."

O'Brian stopped working on the emitter, "What the hell do they want now?"

"Well it's not revenge...”

"I'd hope not. It'd look pretty sad if it took them four months to avenge one of their own. So, what did they want you do?"

"That's what’s been keeping me up. They're giving me a voluntary assignment."

"That doesn't sound like them."

"He says Starfleet is going to send people to "observe" and I'm supposed to be one of those. What's been keeping me up is that he didn't have to tell me anything, let alone showing up in my quarters. They would have gotten what they wanted just by going through my files when I get back."

O'Brian just nodded with a grunt while he attached the power supply to the mobile emitter causing a minor spark to fly off. O'Brian swore under his breath but otherwise unharmed by the experience. "Well," O'Brian said as he got up with the emitter, "We'll figure something out. Computer, activate the EMH mark one."

A tall bald man with a no-nonsense look on his face wearing a blue trimmed uniform materialized in the middle of the room, "Please state the nature of the medical emergency!" he said before walking towards them.

O'Brian turned to Bashir, "So what's so special about this thing? He sounds just like the other one."

The holographic doctor grabbed the mobile emitter out of O’Brian’s hand, "Despite the automated greeting protocol I say on activation, I can assure you that my charming personality will more than make up for whatever preconception you may have," he said with a straight face then turned to Bashir, "What is the current status of the patients?" he asked with a level of concern that surprised the two.

Bashir cleared his throat before handing the EMH a padd, "Two hundred and thirteen people with various levels of Borg implants. I'm making headway removing the ones in their bodies, but the implants and nanites infesting their brains are proving more difficult. I went over the techniques the medical staff on the Enterprise used to restore Captain Picard but these implants are much more invasive."

The EMH nodded as he looked through the padd, "That is what I did first as well. However, on comparison with my first patient and Picard’s situation, Picard’s implants were largely superficial. My first patient still requires a majority of her implants to maintain the automatic functions of her vital organs."

Bashir held up his arm as if to offer control of his infirmary to the EMH, "All right, where do we begin?"

The EMH attached the mobile emitter to this left arm just below the shoulder, "First we'll need to do a complete scan so I can do a comparison to my records to see if we can make things easier for ourselves. Otherwise, we will have to start from scratch."

Bashir then lead the EMH into the next room where he had one resting on a biobed.

O'Brian had chosen this time to leave and return to his quarters that were temporarily assigned to him. Coincidentally they were the same quarters he used to live in when he used to work at the station. On entering he saw Keiko sitting on the couch, when she looked up at him he could see that her eyes were red and wet from crying just moments ago.

"What's wrong Keiko?" he asked as he slid in beside her and wrapped his arms around her.

Keiko sniffled as she looked up at O'Brian, "Oh Miles," she cried burying her head in his shoulder for comfort.

"Come on, tell me what's wrong," he urged giving her shoulder a nudge.

She wiped a tear from her eye, "I was talking to Geordi before you came back. The Enterprise just returned from a mission, he couldn't say what it was but he told me that Data died saving the ship," at that tears welled up again as she hugged her husband.

O'Brian stared up at the ceiling. He heard what she said and was able to understand each word individually but he just couldn't comprehend them going together in a sentence. O'Brian looked down at this wife, "What!?" A tone in his voice suggesting on some level that he thought it was some kind of joke.

"Data's is dead Miles. He died, why would I make up something like this? He gave me away at our wedding for god’s sake!"

"Shh, shh. It's going to be ok Keiko. I don't know how but we'll get through this," he said hugging her while they rocked back in forth grieving.

---------

Avries looked around the conference room at the other ship captains sitting at the table with him. Out of thirteen ships that participated in the battle (not counting the escorts for the defense platform) only six remained. One was currently in surgery so he was represented by his XO. More than a few had bandages and bruises.

"I'm sorry to have called you all here when you're all in the midst of making repairs but I feel that this needs to be addressed before we get underway. Once we establish a base port and make complete repairs, we'll need to figure out what to do and where to go. I believe our best course is to see if any of our allies exist in this universe," Avries finished as he again looked around the table gauging the others reactions.

Captain Margret Roberto spoke up, "We don't even know if these "people" will even accept us. Just because they let us fight with them hardly means they'll let us in their back yard. I'm willing to bet they're more interested in our weapons technology than whatever culture we might have to offer. I wouldn't be surprised if they're scanning our ships right now; trying to figure out our technology," she said rather distastefully, "Our first priority should be to build up our military fleet." One of the other captains nodded in agreement.

Avries could sympathize with her especially considering how large a fleet they were able to rally in the short few days warning they were given.

"Once we have a location, the immediate area will be thoroughly searched before a permanent base is set up. No one is saying we just plant a flag and then run off to look at the first shiny object that catches our eyes. I fully expect every ship to be committed in securing the system," Avries said hoping that it answered their questions of base security. Avries decided then to change his tone urging others to follow his lead, "Since the battle, command has already given identification codes for the ships we've encountered.."

"Just a moment, captain," Don Wait interrupted.

"Yes?" Avries asked.

"Is this the subject for the remaining of this little "meeting"?" Don asked.

"Unless anyone else has anything to bring up, then yes it is," Avries answered.

"Then I'll take my leave here. You can send my ship a copy of the information if it hasn't already been sent by command. I have a ship to run and reports that need to be looked over," Don said with thick condescension in his voice as he got up and left.

Once the doors closed, Avries looked around the room that had become still, "Well, if no one else has anything to add, then you're all dismissed. The information has already been sent to your ships."

No one said anything and after a brief moment’s hesitation, they began to file out.

Avries bracer beeped, "Yes, what is it?" he asked on activating the communicator.

"Captain," his XO replied, "They've agreed to let us stay. We're receiving instructions to follow some escorts to an uninhabited system."

"Acknowledged, inform the Marigold to prep to get underway." Avries cut the comm link then looked at the people making their way out, "Excuse me everyone," They all turned around to face Avries, one that had made it out into the corridor was called back to the entrance, "I've just been informed that we have been granted the use of a system," there were some murmurs of approval, "So having said that. Coordinate with your crews to get your ships ready to go as soon as possible."

After Avries saw his guests off the ship, he made his way to the bridge. "Status report on the ship systems," he asked commander Noel as he entered.

"We're still in the process of restoring full main power to compartment eleven.."

"I thought that problem was fixed the day after we got here," Avries said as he "took" the holographic pad from Noel which had a full description of the ships systems.

"It was. This was damage taken in the battle," Noel explained, "Also, since the battle, we'll need to put into dry-dock to fix the warp engines. Till then, we can only make warp five point eight," he added.

"Well, it's not as if we can go faster than that if we wanted to with the Absolon in tow. Very well, relay the advised speed limitation to the Federation escorts and our own ships. Let’s get underway," Avries said handing back the report.

"Aye sir," Noel said before turning to the bridge crew.

--------

Meanwhile at a nearly forgotten, lonely, Federation outpost closest to the galactic rim. Anthony, one of two officers manning the outpost that's supposed to be crewed by four, stood in the control room. He wasn't standing so much as floating as he had turned the gravity in the room off. As he floated practicing his harmonica he was interrupted by a beeping sound from a console. Pushing off the ceiling he sailed towards the console and looked over the data.

"Hey Pete, could you come up here a minute?" he asked after tapping his combadge.

Five minutes later Pete came walking in, "What's the matter, whoa!" he shouted as his first step into the room sent him hitting the ceiling, "Dammit kid! How many times did I tell you not to turn off the gravity?"

"How many times did I ask you not to call me kid?" he answered as he restored the gravity.

"I'll stop when you stop acting like one! Now what'd you want?" He said as he walked towards Anthony straightening his uniform.

"The sensors picked up a group of ships two light years away."

"That can't be right, it's a waste land out there," he said as he checked over the sensor records, "You read it wrong." Anthony gave him a look. "Alright, if it makes you feel any better, let’s launch a probe. But you’re going to bring it back if it's nothing!"

They both waited as the probe reached the area. On receiving telemetry from the probe, all they saw was an unusually shaped dust cloud. "There, you see! Nothing but dust," Pete said as he left the room, "Have fun recovering the probe," he said over his shoulder before the doors closed. Anthony chased after him in effort to get out of it. As he left the room, a group of alien ships appeared on the probes telemetry. Flashes of light erupted from several of them towards the probe.

An instant later, the probe telemetry stopped.
© Copyright 2014 Brahma (blackfire3 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1971843-Nexus-Crossings-chapter-6