*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1972205-Dad
by Dawn
Rated: E · Other · Death · #1972205
about my father's death and how I dealt with the loss.
My Life before Dad Died




         Before Dad died I totally dependent on his love and money. But I was not the only one my brother and sister both relied on him too.  The love he shared with us was being around us at least once a day, taking on our problems without a complaint.  But we respected him.  He also took care of our financial well=being, helping us pay our bills and buy gas for our cars.  We relied on him when our cars broke down.



         I was very close to Dad.  We would go to football games, visit family, and go out to eat together.  Once we went all over Southeast Ohio just looking for a restaurant that served spaghetti.  We'd go to flea markets, don't worry we didn't pick up any fleas.  Dad stayed with me when I got sick, when my mental illness got worse.  But when my illness got better he left and he visited me every day.



When Dad Died




I was shocked, confused, and numb. The call came early in the morning in

November in 2012.  My sister, my niece, and my sister's sister-in-law drove up to Grant Hospital in Columbus, Ohio.  My dad laid there in a hospital bed with life support on him.  I immediately teared up.  The doctor told us that Dad had bleeding in his brain and that nothing could be done to save his life.  It was a big shock to us, it happened so fast.



Dad:  One Year Later


I made it through the year!  I have a lot of good memories.  One memory is when Dad and I went to a football game and he yelled at the referees.  The most difficult thing is not being able to talk to Dad or hold his hand.  I hug my sister a lot now and we are closer for that reason and even my brother, whom we're not that close to, is communicating with us occasionally.



The death of our father has taught us to be more relying on each other.  For example my sister's care went down a month after Dad died and I shared my car with her.  Then about a year after Dad's death, my brother is selling a car to my sister so she can get to work and back home, and now my car is actually mine once more.



Lessons Learned




         The longer your love one has passed away the easier it is to deal with it.  A year ago I couldn't even write about Dad.  I'm not saying that I don't miss my dad because I do.  It's just you learn to accept the death and you move on.



© Copyright 2014 Dawn (marie1977 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1972205-Dad