*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1973494-Missing
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Other · Contest Entry · #1973494
It's prom night and Justin's date is nowhere to be seen.
         Justin threw his black jacket on the back of his wooden chair and tore the unraveled bowtie from around his neck. His roommate looked up from the book he had been reading.

“What’s your problem?” He asked.

“Shut up Zuberi. I’m not in the mood.”

Zuberi put his book down and uncrossed his lengthy legs from under him. Justin angrily threw his dress shoes into the closet and started taking off his tuxedo. He stripped down to his boxers and headed for the showers. Zuberi intercepted his path and grabbed him by the shoulder.

“What happened?” He asked the distraught boy. Zuberi’s own almond skin stood out against Justin’s paleness. Zuberi was a pureblooded African. His father had taught him English when he was young, but it wasn’t his native language. His caring eyes bore deep into Justin’s, searching for the truth.

“Julie never showed up for the dance. She stood me up, okay. Now leave me alone.” Justin yelled and a shrugged off Zuberi’s hand. He stormed out of the dorm room and into the bathroom. He tossed his towel over the shower stall and pulled the curtain closed behind him.

The water was like hot jets of pleasure beating down on every inch of his body. Small wisps of steam curled around him. He took his palms and rubbed the disappointment from his face.

“Justin!” A cry of panic interrupted the boy’s calm moment. Zuberi stuck his head inside of the shower stall. “Justin, I just called some of my friends. No one has seen Julie all week. Her roommate has been worried sick. She didn’t leave you, she was never there.”

“What? Is she okay?” Justin said, turning off the water.

“No one knows.”

Justin ran his fingers through his hair.

“We need to find her.” He said, stepping out of the stall.

“Well first you need to get dressed.” Zuberi replied, his shoulders shaking with laughter.

“I just got done talking to Julie’s roommate. The last thing she heard was that Julie was going to visit her parents, but her mother said that she never arrived.” Zuberi said as Justin pulled on his jeans.

“Did she take the bus or did someone pick her up?” Justin asked, throwing a grey shirt on over his damp hair.

“The bus.”

“Then we should check with the driver first.”

“Already done,” said Zuberi, smiling. “He doesn’t remember where she got off but he said she left her stuff on the bus. It’s in the lost in found at the campus square.”

Justin threw his arms around the grinning African boy.

“Sometimes I really like you.” He said. “Now let’s go get my date.”

The two boys ran down the flight of stairs that were in every dorm building. They were in a prep school known as Simpleton High. The classes were time-consuming and demanding. Rules were strict and enforced. The kids were closely monitored, even being forced to ride on a campus bus. It was on one of these buses that Julie had ridden. Her family lived in a small town near the school, less than a twenty minute drive away. The bus driver had found her bags on a seat at the end of his shift and turned them into the school. The principal dropped them onto a table with other forgotten objects and that’s where Justin and Zuberi were headed.

“Hey! This is hers.” Justin said, rooting through a pile of items. The bag he found was old and threadbare.

“Ala! It looks like she was mugged.” Zuberi said, looking worried.

“Oh no, this is just how Julie likes her bags.” Justin replied, laughing. He searched through the sack looking for anything that might give them a clue to Julie’s whereabouts.

“Find anything?” Zuberi asked.

“Her book, it’s missing. She never goes anywhere without one.” Justin said looking to his friend. “What time does the public library close?” he asked.

“Uh, around ten.”

Justin looked at a clock.

“Then we better hurry.”

Zuberi climbed back onto campus bus number three and plopped down next to Justin.

“Well?” Justin asked impatiently.

“The librarian remembers her. He said she was in here last night for a couple hours before she left with another guy. That’s all he saw.”

Justin narrowed his eyes and said, “Another guy? Was he older?”

“The librarian couldn’t tell. He just remembers her getting into his car.”

Justin put his head in his hands and rubbed his temples.

“Hey,” Zuberi said, putting his palm on the boy’s back. “Everything is going to be fine. It was probably her uncle or something.”

“Julie’s uncle is in prison and will be for the rest of his petty life.” Justin lifted his head and looked at his friend. “What if I never see her again? I didn’t even get to say goodbye or anything. I don’t even remember the last thing I said to her.”

When the boys’ bus reached their dorm they slowly climbed the stairs to their rooms with their heads hanging and their hearts heavy. Zuberi unlocked the door and nearly screamed with fright when he entered.

On Justin’s bed was Julie, her legs up on his desk and her jacket lazily tossed onto the floor.

“Gosh, what took you guys so long, I’ve been up here for hours.” She said, putting down the book she had been reading. “Oh great, you got my bag. Thanks guys. My brother picked me up from the library and I completely forgot about it.”

Julie!” Justin yelled as he ran into the room, flinging his arms around her and letting out all his worry and tension.

“Hey, yourself.” She replied in surprise, returning his hug. “Did I miss something?”

“No, I’ve just missed you.” Justin replied, smiling.
© Copyright 2014 S.T. Rose (samthompson at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1973494-Missing