*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1973592-To-Kill-A-Wizard-Second-Draft
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #1973592
An assassin faces his toughest mission yet. Will it be his last? It's Demon versus Wizard.
Dezrar slunk through the silent night, sinking from shadow to shadow virtually unseen. His soft leather boots made no noise upon the long cobblestone streets of Throve. His progress was slow but his patience saved him from making a sound. There was nobody out on the streets, which was to be expected, for it was just hours before dawn and all the townsfolk would be fast asleep in their homes. Even the rats stayed silent while Dezrar made his way to the very heart of Throve.

His target, the home of the high wizard of Throve appeared as Dezrar turned a final street corner. It was a large mansion with tall walls standing meters high in the air. The mansion of the high wizard was an eerie castle of dark bricks. Even the large pillars in the front of the house were a deep, dark gray. It was definitely the biggest and creepiest building in Throve.

As he got closer he began to get excited. His thoughts turned to the large amount of blood that would be spilled this very night in the heart of Throve. He loved spilling the blood of enemies and not just any blood would be spilled tonight but the blood of a wizard. His eyes gleamed a dark, ruby red at the thought. His eyes widened and he shook his head as if to wake himself up. Damn it! I promised myself I'd learn to control it he thought to himself as his eyes changed back to their normal color of brown.

He loved his job but something else loved it even more than he did. Dezrar did it for the glory, the fame, the riches that it brought but something else, something inside of him loved it for the splatter of warm blood against his skin as he sawed the throat of a noble or government official, listening to their pathetic muffled screams. It always did what it took to kill as many people as possible. Sometimes it urged him to kill his own people, his own leaders. The creature inside of him was getting stronger, almost to the point that it could take him over completely. Dezrar could not afford for that to happen, not just to keep himself safe but also everyone else. There weren't many demons in the world but each could fight with the strength of an entire legion of men.

Finally Dezrar arrived at the mansion. He had come during the afternoon yesterday to see what he was up against. He noticed that the people of Throve kept well away form the house and he didn't blame them. It was swarming with guards at all times and not to mention the creepiness.

He had accessed the wall situation for quite a while but had come up with no bright ideas so he decided to not do anything fancy. So he walked up to the wall and let the demon in. His eyes glowed red and with one hit there was a hole large enough to let him through in the wall. Guards shouted and one went to sound the alarm. He didn't care though. The demon had taken control. The guards were definitely not used to any action. They didn't even group together, just charged him one by one. He pulled out his knife as he ducked underneath the swipe of a sword. The guard stumbled and Dezrar effortlessly slit his throat.

He sheathed his knife and picked up the sword of the fallen soldier. It was far to light and short for his liking but it would have to do. The next guard charged him and tried for an overhead blow but he sidestepped easily, causing the guard to stumbled. The guard payed for his sloppy sword-skills with his life. The guards must have been the stupidest people he'd ever met. No matter how many he killed they just kept coming. They were determined he'd give them that. When there were only a few guards left they got wise and ran.

Blood soaked the ground and his soul sucked up all the energy from the dead. He walked up to the large double doors and kicked it down like it were made of cardboard. By then the bell, which was a couple of minutes walk from the mansion was sounding. The whole city would be awake in a moment.

Even though he knew they would come for him and attack him he didn't speed up. In fact, if anything he slowed down a bit. Guards would often come and attack him and he ended their lives with glee as blood spurted all over the ground and his clothes. After a couple minutes though, the guards decided to do something even dumber. He noticed that as he walked the guards ran to the place that the high wizard slept to regroup and attack him as a group.

Dezrar followed them to get to where the wizard slept. Right in front of the door though there was a group of around two dozen guards. When they saw him coming they panicked and their crossbows that they had been holding fired wildly. Almost every bolt missed its target...almost. Dezrar now had three crossbow bolts protruding from his leg, shoulder, and stomach. He pulled each one out one by one feeling no pain. His strength had grown. No human weapon could harm him anymore.

He continued down toward the large group of guards and they tried to reload their crossbows but they were clumsy with fright. A few eventually got them ready and fired but they had no impact on the demon. He finally reached them and each one of them fell to the might of his sword.

He opened the door to the wizards room and was just able to see the giant room filled with so many luxuries before he was hit by a force and stopped moving. He tried to move but he couldn't, he was frozen in place, unable to move. Then the wizard stepped out from the shadows so that Dezrar could see him.

"Ah, you have come at last have you Dezrar? Your reputation exceeds you. You weren't that hard to capture. So you can kill a few ordinary, pathetic mortals. So what?" Dezrar struggled against the enchantments. "Don't bother, that is the strongest enchantment known to wizards. Now, I'm gonna kill you, and I'm gonna do it nice and slowly."

Dezrar struggled again with the enchantment but it didn't take him long to realize that his attempts would be in vain. Then an idea came to his mind, an idea that was simple enough to be understood by a child in it's mothers womb. His eyes began to glow red again, not just any red though, red like blood, bright enough to make you flinch from the brightness. He focused all but a small amount of energy on destroying the enchantment and finally let it free, destroying the enchantment.

The high wizard stumbled with his eyes wide in shock. Dezrar didn't give it another thought as he ran the wizard through in the gut with his knife and twisted, laughing.

© Copyright 2014 WritingNoob14 (writingnoob14 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1973592-To-Kill-A-Wizard-Second-Draft