*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1974026-Sashas-Careless-Mom
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Teen · #1974026
This story is about a careless mom who realizes how much she needs to change.
Hi. My name is Sasha Sunflower and I live with my mom, Sophie, who parties every weekend and really does not care about me or anything except her friends and going out. When I tell people my mom does not care about me they always say “How couldn’t your mom care about you?” But trust me, if you lived with her you would think she did not care about you either.

So, every Friday night my mom and her friends go out and she makes me stay at my grandmas. Some weekends she even goes out on Saturdays. I do not know how going out every single weekend and doing the same thing is fun, but apparently to her it is. I always ask her to do stuff with me. I even asked her if this weekend we could do something, like go shopping or go to the movies, but she said “If it is on a Friday, I’m going out!” I always ask myself “why even ask?” It used to make me mad that she went out all the time, but now it just makes me sad because she never wants to spend time with me. She always has something better to do.

To make things worse, I had a terrible week at school. I’m in 7th grade and the drama there is horrible. I go to a school in Wyoming and there are too many people there. The girls are so mean to each other and I try not to get involved, but I always end up getting in with the stupid drama. I try to talk to my mom about it but she is always on the phone or she is worried about other things like what her “perfect” long blonde hair looks like (that she puts 50 things of hair products in a day), or what shirt brings out her dark blue eyes. I guess looking good is more important than talking to her daughter.

I asked my mom again if we could do something but her answer was still the same. She also had to say “you are staying at your grandmas.” I got really mad when she said that because I am there EVERY weekend.

“Why do I always have to go to grandmas while you’re out having fun with your friends?” I asked.

“Because I have a life too,” she said. She never lets me have fun or have a life and so, I cannot believe she said that to me. I said some things out of frustration that I probably should not have said to my mom. But at the moment, I could not control what I was saying. One thing that I said that made her extremely mad was that I wanted to live with my dad, Benny, because he actually cares about me.

My parents were never married and my mom does not like to talk about my dad but I still made the comment about living with him. My dad lives an hour away from me and I barely ever see him because my mom does not like to talk to him. I could tell that it hurt her, but I really did not care.

After the fight between us, I went into my room and had no intentions on coming out or talking to my mom. It actually surprised me when my mom knocked on my door and said “Let me in, Sasha” but I would not let her in. I was still SO mad!

I ended up falling asleep for 3 hours. I think I would have slept all night but my mom was obnoxiously knocking on my door and saying “Get ready! We are leaving for grandmas in 10 minutes.” I instantly got annoyed when she said that because I then remembered the reason I went in my room in the first place. I was hoping falling asleep would make me forget about what happened earlier, but it did not help at all. I wanted to stay in my room for the rest of the night but my mom ended up getting a bobby pin to unlock my door and she basically dragged me out of my room.

On the way to my grandmas, the car was silent and the only thing that my mom said to me was, “I have to go out because it is my friend’s birthday and I cannot miss it.” But yet a few months ago she had no problem missing her sister’s birthday. I did not say a thing to her. She looked sad to me, but I was sad too. I thought maybe she would kind of feel bad and stay home after the big fight we had, but no. Even a “sorry” would have been nice! But nope, nothing. Why am I surprised though?

When I got to my grandmas, I did not really have anything to say and my grandma kept asking me, “What’s wrong?” But I did not feel like talking to anybody. I eventually talked to her and we ended up talking about everything that happened for about 2 hours. My grandma always has the right things to say to make me feel better.

The night she went out, my grandma went to bed and I could not sleep. I kept thinking of everything that happened that day and I kind of started to feel bad about everything I said to my mom. Later, my mom had called and said, “Goodnight Sasha, I love you!” She has only done that like twice before so it surprised me that she even picked up the phone to call me but it made me happy that she did.

The next day, my mom got me early from my grandmas. Usually I am there all day because she has to take a nap. I thought to myself, Maybe things will change around here. I was not getting my hopes up though!

On our way home, my mom said things and did things that we very unusual for her. She asked me if I wanted to get something to eat and usually she makes me just eat at home unless I ask for something to eat. So, her and I got McDonalds and it was nice sitting and talking to her without fighting for once!

“I’m very sorry about yesterday,” she said “I did not know how much it bothered you that I went out. You’ve never said anything about it before.”

That is really all I wanted to hear from her. I did not think she cared at all but I am so happy that she does.

It was only about 2:30pm when we got home and my mom told me her friend was coming over. She is always over so it did not really bother me. She’s my favorite out of my mom’s friends so it is nice to have her around. When she got there, my mom had to go to the store to pick stuff up for dinner. I told Maddie that my mom has been acting weird all day and she said that my mom was being really weird last night too. I ended up telling her everything that happened.

“Your mom looked sad all night and nothing was cheering her up. She only smiled like, twice” Maddie said.

I actually cannot believe that everything affected her like that and actually made her sad. I thought it only affected me!

“Did you ask her what was wrong?” I asked.

“All she said was that something had happened with you, but she would not tell me what,” Maddie said “She also said she is going to change.”

I liked to hear all that from Maddie. It let me know that my mom actually did care about everything that had happened.

Dinner was good. We laughed and talked about everything. My mom even said some funny things that had happened last night to her.

After Maddie left, my mom and I talked. “I’m really going to change for you, I did not know how much it affected you” my mom said. We have not had a talk like that before because she never had time to. But it did make me happy to hear all that she had to say.

“Want to have a movie night this weekend? I do not think I am going to go out this Friday. I want to spend it with you.” She said.

Jokingly, I said “I can’t, goin’ out with the friends Friday.” It made us both laugh but then I shouted “OF COURSE I’LL HAVE A MOVIE NIGHT!” I had no idea that that one fight would make her change but I am glad it did.

At our movie night, we rented 2 movies and they were both funny ones. We had popcorn and a whole bunch of junk food. We will regret eating it all later though! I had a really good time with my mom and I love how everything turned out for us!
© Copyright 2014 Sophie Jean (lauuren_xoxo at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1974026-Sashas-Careless-Mom