*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1974794-Warriors-Cloud
by Kit
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Animal · #1974794
This story is set about 15+ moons[months] after 'After the Flood' comic. Still a WIP.
~Prologue~

A white storm howled outside the small cave, freezing wind and ice sweeping inside. The cats inside curled up as tight as they could, trying to stay warm against the chilling winds. A fluffy yellow cat rushes inside, shaking the white flakes that clung to it’s pelt. It dropped the kill that it held in it’s jaws, licking the remaining flakes of her pelt.
         “Sunwing…?” A white she-cat lifted her head, ears pressed against her head to keep them warm. The yellow she-cat lifted her head, large amber eyes locking onto the white she-cat. She picked up the kill and carried it back to her.
         “Iceflower… Leafbare is harsh this year. I would be surprised if any kits or elders survive this leafbare.” Sunwing gazed back at the howling storm.
         “But it doesn’t mean we should give up.” Iceflower shook her head, green eyes full of determination.
         “Yes, but prey is very low. I know feeding the queens and elders is top priority, but there may not be any warriors left to hunt at this rate.” Sunwing hung her head, eyes closed.
         “Do you want to share? Sandtail already brought Plumwillow a mouse.” Iceflower placed a paw on the squirrel, pushing it half way between them. Sunwing shook her head, face saddened.
         “You’re kits have hardly been here for a moon. They need it more than I do.” Sunwing sighed, quickly leaving the den. Iceflower lowered her head, curling up tighter around her three small kits. She slowly ate the squirrel, making each bite last. Pushing away the bones and scraps of fur, she laid her head down, covering her nose with her tail. She watched as her kit’s tiny flanks rose and fell as they slept.
         “Cloudkit… Skykit… Specklekit..,” she whispered, vision slowly blurring, “Please be strong…” she blinked, releasing the tears that hung in her eyes. She wiped them away and curled tighter against the wind, falling asleep.

~Chapter 1~

         “The snow’s gone, the snow’s gone!”
         Iceflower lifted her head, blinking the sleep out of her eyes. She sat up to find Cloudkit bouncing around the nursery. Plumwillow glared at him until he calmed down, covering her two young kits.
         “I wish we didn’t have to be so quiet around Snowkit and Shrewkit…” Cloudkit muttered as he retreated back to his mother. Iceflower gave him a comforting lick on the head, pulling him closer to her.
         “They’re young and they need their sleep.” Iceflower paused for a moment, looking thoughtful, “How about we go outside for a bit since the snow’s gone?” Cloudkit started bouncing up and down again, rushing towards the cave entrance. Iceflower stood up and nudged Specklekit and Skykit awake. Once they were awake and had a quick bath, Iceflower led them down the rocky slopes. She kept the towards the wall so they wouldn’t fall off. As they neared the bottom of the slope, three young cats, each just a few moons older than the kits, ran up to them.
         “Iceflower, you finally came out!” The dark tabby bounced up and down.
         “ Your kits will be apprentices in another moon or so, right?” The larger brown tabby was much calmer than his brother.
         “They’re really cute.” The dark she-cat peeked around Iceflower to see the three kits huddled behind their mother. Iceflower stepped to the side, letting the three cats see her kits. Skykit scrambled back behind her mother. Specklekit hid behind her brother, who hadn’t moved an inch. Iceflower swept her tail over her kits, starting with Skykit.
         “Sparrowpaw, Hawkpaw, Ravenpaw… This is Skykit, Cloudkit, and Specklekit.” She purred, nudging Skykit out from behind her.
         “With how big they are, they should be becoming apprentices soon, right?” Sparrowpaw asked Iceflower as he watched Hawkpaw play with Specklekit and Cloudkit.
         Iceflower nodded, “Within the next moon or so.”
         “Good. So there will be others to put some distance between our nests and theirs.” Ravenpaw muttered, glaring at the other two apprentices that just emerged from the Apprentice’s Den.
         “Ravenpaw! At least try to be nice to Nightpaw and Dapplepaw!” Iceflower demanded, giving the she-cat a hard cuff around the ear. The young she-cat flinched not at the sudden blow, but to Iceflower’s sudden and uncommon raise of her voice. She muttered something to herself before stalking off, rudely bumping into Nightpaw on her way to the Apprentice’s Den. Hawkpaw got up and followed her, harshly bumping into Dapplepaw.
         “How about you watch where you’re going, beetle-brains!” Dapplepaw yowled as they ran up the slope and into the den. She turned to glare at Sparrowpaw as she neared Iceflower. He lowered his head and scampered after his siblings, avoiding the two cats.
         “What’s their problem?” Dapplepaw muttered as she settled next to Iceflower. Nightpaw sat next to her and gently played with Cloudkit with one paw.
         “If you watch the kits, i can can go ask what’s been bothering them.” Iceflower offered, patting Skykit on the head. Dapplepaw nodded, scooting Skykit towards her. Iceflower nodded as she got up and head towards the Apprentice’s Den. As she neared the entrance, she heard crying.
         “Ravenpaw, what’s wrong?” Iceflower whispered as she entered the den, eyes quickly adjusting to the darkness. Hawkpaw flicked his attention from his sister to Iceflower, ears lowered. Ravenpaw sat up, not looking at Iceflower or her brothers. Sparrowpaw looked like he had been crying a bit as well, but not as much.
         “If they hadn’t came along…” she sniffed, “Duskfeather would still be alive..!” Ravenpaw’s eyes were not only full of sorrow, but more of anger. Iceflower sighed, shaking her head. She sat next to Ravenpaw, curling her tail around her and pulling her close.
         “Everyone knew she wasn’t going to survive Leafbare. Even if she hadn’t taken in Nightpaw and Dapplepaw as kits, she still wouldn’t be here.” Iceflower whispered, giving Ravenpaw comforting licks. Ravenpaw sniffed again, leaning against Iceflower.
         “She would have more food for herself…” she sobbed, pressing her face deeper into Iceflower’s thick white fur.
         “No cat got enough to eat.” Iceflower whispered, rubbing Ravenpaw’s back with her tail, “It’s not your guy’s or their fault.”
         “StarClan just thought it was her time join them, didn’t they..?” Sparrowpaw whispered, wiping the tears off his face with one paw before settling next to Ravenpaw and leaning on her. Hawkpaw sniffed, starting to cry a bit. He too joined the group, leaning on Ravenpaw.
         “Even if they were only adopted littermates, they are still your brother and sister. Would you treat Sparrowpaw like that?” Iceflower whispered to Hawkpaw and Ravenpaw. They both barely shook their heads, still sniffling. They all hugged closer together, quietly sobbing. When Sparrowpaw broke out into a full out wail, the two other siblings started to comfort him. When Iceflower left, the three of them were curled up in a large heap of greys and browns as if they were kits again.
© Copyright 2014 Kit (kyrctyn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1974794-Warriors-Cloud