*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1974960-Constructive-Conversation-issues
Rated: E · Other · Opinion · #1974960
Why we lack the ability to have a constructive conversation with other human beings.
Why we lack the ability to have constructive conversation.




Why is it you can almost never have an open conversation about anything without someone clinging to their political side or a religion? Why, as people, can we not have a constructive conversation about ideas, without someone blindly refusing any sort of idea based on politics or religion? The idea of people not being willing to evolve as intellectuals because they want to stay within a certain comfort of ignorance is astonishing.  When I see any group of people make general statements of defense, it shocks me because no group is 100% of "great people" and no group is a 100% "bad people". It makes no sense to pretend all black, white, brown, gay, straight, capitalist, socialist, christian, muslin, or atheist are either one way or another. Those are statements of pure ignorance. To think one kind of people (no matter if, of certain religion, race, sexual orientation, or religion) are all this or that; that is intellectual laziness. I would suggest that you lack intellectual stimulation, which occurs when one can enter new and especially, useful information or knowledge about something into their inner psyche. I once heard Joe Rogan say, "I'm on team people", and that is a statement I could agree with. It makes no sense to create so many divides amongst our own species.  To make blanket statements about what "team" you are on is odd. Why couldn't we all be on the same team? I agree that there are many who just are not "team" players but, as a "team" we could put constraints on the power or control (if nothing else the affects, and effects) they have on society.



Why do so many humans have a fear of extending their intellect? It seems that most people understand and accept the world and/or their views of it, and never want to deviate from that understanding, even when there may not be a true understanding to begin with (let's not confuse comfort, for understanding). Why is it most are worried with being right, than getting it right?  People will block out all points from another view and automatically go to justifying their thoughts or attacking the other persons without creating any actual constructive conversation.  Normally, these events lead to an argument or, if nothing else, a waste of time for everyone involved.



How are we as a species, or even, as individuals  going to grow and expand in intellect if, majority of our conversations about ideas turn into arguments about being right and not about seeking and discovering a further depth of knowledge or perhaps an understanding of another view point.



To those who think they fully understand everything, I ask you this:

How long have people been on this earth?



How long did it take our species to create electricity?



Not that long ago when you think about it, huh?

Hang on to your hats folks, there is much more that we do not know coming soon and the more we learn, the faster it comes. Not, only, do species evolve but, so does the mind.



© Copyright 2014 J.Wright (wrightwritings at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1974960-Constructive-Conversation-issues