*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1976137-The-City
Rated: E · Short Story · Emotional · #1976137
Chapter 1 & 2 - Tamisin is an 18 year old girl dealing with life in the City.
Chapter 1 ~ Dreams 



Finally. I suck in a deep breath. It may be city air, clogged with smog, but it smelled fresh after twelve straight hours of brutal work.

I step to the side to allow the other workers to stream by me and smile. The hours were long, yes, but I was now bursting with energy. Father had told me this morning to take the evening off, and though I was reluctant to agree, I was ready for a break.

There's a flash of dark hair in the crowd, and then Tiro's standing beside me, grinning down. He wraps an arm around my waist. “Ready for some fun?”

I smile and stand on my tiptoe to give him a quick kiss. “You bet.”

He laces his fingers into mine and leads me away from the crowds, down an alleyway. “Good. I've got something I want to show you,” He says, flashing his lopsided smile at me again.

“What is it?”

“Can't tell you. It's a surprise.” He says, laughing because he knows how much I can't stand surprises.

I groan. “That's cruel.”

We walk in silence for awhile, simply content to be together.

The sun had slipped beyond the horizon, and the skyscrapers cast the city into a dreary shadow, darkening the streets and causing mothers to usher their children inside, away from the gangs and street wanderers. The City holds a kind of sadness- a sadness that is seen in the dark shadows and the tired people. But there is also a spark- a tiny flame of rebellion alive in the people that brings hope and joy. And that's what I love about it.

Movement up ahead causes Tiro and I to duck down a side street, taking a quick detour. Normally, I would be afraid to walk alone, but Tiro is with me, and that turns it into a dangerous adventure; a game of cat and mouse.

I'm itching to run; to feel the wind in my face, see the earth blur beneath my feet.

Tiro glances at me, a strand of dark hair falling into his eyes. “Want to run?” He asks, footsteps already growing lighter, faster.

“You know me too well.” I reply, and then we're flying.

Our strides are long and easy, footfalls silent, as we race through the city. We both love running - there's an exhilerence about it that captivates you.

Tiro slows as we approached a concrete wall, then jumps and pulls himself on top, offering me a hand up. We stand for a second or two on the wall.

“So?” I ask. “Where's the surprise?”

“Wait and see,” he says, poking me in the ribs. “We're not there yet.”

His bronze eyes are shining with suppressed laughter as he watches me scrunch up my face at his answer.

He ducks under my swat and walks along the wall.

I follow him, curious. “Sure you know where you're going?” I tease.

He turns, walking backwards along the wall. “Pretty sure,” he replies, a corner of his mouth turning up in the start of a smile. “Don't look down.”

We climb up onto a low building, and then pick up the pace again, leaping from building to building, scaling walls. Up, up, higher and higher. I'm focused on my feet and what's ahead of me, as instructed, and we shinny up the last wall.

Tiro covers my eyes with his hand as I reach the top.

“No peeking,” he says, and grabs my hand, leading me along.

He steers me around a corner, and wind slaps me in the face, whipping my hair out behind me and causing me to shiver.

I had an idea about how high we were- the air was cold, and the wind was fierce... probably about 1,500 feet up.

Wrong.

Tiro's hand drops away and I gasp, surging backward. He wraps his arms around me, comfortingly, but I'm suddenly dizzy, gazing down at the City below.

It was stunning. The lights, in different shades of blue, yellow, and red, spread out for miles. And beyond that... nothing.

We were a lot higher than 1,500 feet.

“What is it?” I ask, breathless.

“The Ocean,” he whispers. “Just like we've always dreamed.”

The Ocean? I don't know how long I stood there, just staring out at the huge, black space.

I've dreamt of the ocean since I can remember, of the old tales of sea monsters and ships. No one has ever been out of the city. I wondered, even, how many have even seen the outside.

“H-how do you know?” I finally ask.

His arms are still hugging me to his chest as he leans against the tower's spire. “I climbed up here last week, in the daylight. I didn't know...” his voice trails off.

I was still gaping at the view below me, but I turn to face him when he leaves his sentence hanging.

“Know what?”

His face is half in the shadows, making the hard angles in it even more pronounced. “Didn't know it was so close. What's out there, Tamisin?”

I slid down to a sitting position and Tiro mimics me. “I don't know.” I say, and squeeze his hand. “But we can find out, can't we?”

I glance up then, and find him gazing down at me, his mouth curving into a smile. He leans his forehead against mine, and I stare back into the depths of his honey golden eyes, flecked with black.

“I missed you,” I whisper.

He blinks. “I know. I missed you too.” His hand reaches up to sweep back my hair, and then he's kissing me, and I forget all about the city below, and the ocean far away.

When we break apart, I lean my head against his shoulder as we huddle together in a dreamy sort of state, miles above the twinkling lights.

Being up here... it was as if we had taken a step back from reality. Up here, our problems faded away, allowing dreams and hope to spring forth. Like Time himself had been frozen by the North Wind.

I gulp in the clean, cold air.

Well, if Time really was frozen, I was going to enjoy the rest.

“What did It look like, in the daylight?” I ask suddenly.

Tiro laughs. “Well, it was huge. Stretched as far as the eye can see. And it was this gorgeous, blue-green color.”

“Did you see any ships, serpents?”

He shook his head. “No. I think we're too far away.” His eyes search the horizon as if he would suddenly be able to see the rolling water. “When we get out of this mess, we'll go find them, and write down all our findings.” His voice holds that excited, quiet tone that he gets when he dreams.

“We could build a sailboat. Sail around the World.” I add.

The World. No one knew what it was like. Just like the Ocean. Just like the Woods. We knew only the City, the City and its strange quality of Hope and Dreams.

After the war, the government locked us in. Who is the government? Well, no one really knows that either. All we know is that anyone who tries to escape is whisked away, never to be seen again. So we don't try anymore. We work twelve hours a day, eat what is provided, and sleep wherever we like. The only freedom we have is the ability to act as we wish, and to adventure as we please as long as it is within the City limits.

I tilt my head back to look at Tiro. His eyes reflect the lights, reminding me of the way he loves the City. The way he cares for its people, and works to make it a better place. We both dream of the beyond, but this is our home, and we'll do anything we can to help it.

“Do you think the City will ever be free, like it used to?” I wonder.

He smiles softly. “Yes. Someday, we'll break free.” His grin grows wider. “I can see it all perfectly up here.” He taps his head.

“I'm listening.” I say. I love Tiro's stories. He's a master of spinning tales and dreams, and when he starts one, everyone listens.



Chapter 2 ~ Home



Tiro drops nimbly from the last building, rolling as he lands. I follow him, falling into the shadows once again. We lean against each other for a minute, our quiet breaths matched, as we let our eyes adjust to the blackness.

I don't want to move, and I feel that Tiro feels the same. I feel like if I take a step, the magic will fade, leaving me struggling for hope.

And yet, I know I must get back to Father and the kids, no matter what magic lies behind me.

I squeeze Tiro's hand and step out into the street.

“It's strange, being back down here after seeing it from above,” Tiro murmurs as we wander homeward.

I scan the sky. “Yeah. But I won't forget it. Ever.” I smile, but it turns into a yawn that practically cracks my jaw.

Tiro bites his lip, hiding his smile, and says, “You're dead on your feet. Hop on.”

I jump onto his back without much protest, resting my chin on his shoulder.

“I didn't mean for us to stay so late,” Tiro says as he calculates the time from the Stars and Moon.

“Are you kidding? I would've stayed up all Night.”

I can see the corner of his mouth turn up as he smiles. “What do you think the Stars would be like, if we ever meet one?” He asks after a moment of silence.

“Bright. Their hair and eyes would be pure silver, and they're tall and graceful. They'll be kind, caring, and majestic rulers of the sky,” I reply, sketching a small image in my mind.

We pass through the City, talking until we near my family's space.

Tiro lets me drop to the ground and turns to face me.

“Thank you,” I whisper against his ear as he wraps me in a hug.

“Do it again?” He asks, brushing his lips over my hair.

“Yes.” I smile into his shoulder. No one gives hugs like Tiro does.

We pull apart, reluctantly. “I'll see you tomorrow,” Tiro promises, kissing my nose.

I watch as he melts back into the shadows and circle my arms around myself, smiling.

There's a rustle behind me and I turn to find my sister Ellie peering out from our tent.

I ruffle her hair. “It's not nice to spy, kiddo,” I whisper. She giggles as I herd her back into the tent. “Back to sleep with you.” I kiss her on the forehead as she snuggles in her blanket.

I silently pick out the other four as I straighten. Sawyer, Noah, and my Father with his arm wrapped around Summer. I snuggle up next to the boys, satisfied that my family was safe.

I fall into Sleep's arms, thinking of the City, Tiro, and the Ocean.





I awake, as usual, to the bells clanging through the City, signaling that the day has begun. I lie still for a moment, recalling the events of last night and giving a little shiver of pleasure as I remember.

Smiling, I rise and brush out my hair before braiding it down my back.

The little ones are still snuggled together for warmth, but my father must be outside.

I duck out of the tent to find him tending to the fire with his good arm, the usual twinkle in his eyes, the same smile on his face.

He smiles up at me as I approach him. “Good morning, Tamisin. Have a good night?”

I grin back and blush despite myself. “Yes, I did. Thank you, Father.”

He laughs knowingly  and says, “ You’d better be off if you want to see        you-know-who before work starts.”

“Do you need anything first?” I ask as I pick up some firewood and bring it closer to him.

“No, you go on. And bring back that handsome young man for supper, if he is able.”

“I will. Love you.” I give him a hug and start off down the road, taking a little detour so I would pass by Tiro's place.

I sing as I walk between the towering buildings, slipping through the slums I've always known as home with ease.

“Someone's in a good mood.” Tiro laughs, falling into step beside me.

I bump shoulders with him. “Morning,” I say cheerily. “Father wants you to come over for supper tonight...?” I leave the sentence open for his reply.

“I'll be there,” he replies, flashing a grin down at me.

I try not to bounce in excitement as we file into the factory, heading to our different stations. I am quickly sobered though, as the long, tedious work begins.
© Copyright 2014 grandpaslippers (grandpaslipper at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1976137-The-City