*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1976322-CLUNK
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Horror/Scary · #1976322
Glenda heads to the gallows, but can't seem to find the words that may set her free.
CLUNK


by: Michael Orzechowski






The gallows finally came into sight. The rain was falling lightly and Glenda could feel it trickle on her forehead. She wanted nothing more than to wipe her brow, but the ropes binding her hands kept her arms firm against her side. Closing her eyes to keep the sweat from rolling in, she tripped on the cobblestone beneath her feet. As she landed on her knees, the crowd exploded in cheers. Glenda opened her eyes and search for any sign of remorse; any preservation of her dignity. There was none.

         Glenda made her way up the creaky stairs of the platform and ranting and raving of the audience was pushed to a halt by a short, bald man in a long brown robe. Waving his hands high in the air, he drew the attention of every man, woman and child who had traveled to the far side of town for a hanging.

         “Good people of the state!” he began, muffling the voices of the last few citizens, standing at the base of the wooden structure, “We gather here today in triumph! We gather here today in victory! We gather here to put an end to the heartache and to find closure from the events of the past few months. Here before you stands Glenda Handell. She is convicted on three counts of kidnapping and the murder of Emily, George and Gretchen Libell. She has been found guilty and been sentenced, by the court, to hang from the neck until she is dead. We only hope that God shows her the mercy that she was unable to show those poor children.”

         The crowd’s voices lifted again in a fleet of booing and screaming. The town had looked forward to this day since the three children had gone missing over two months ago. The one who look forward to it the most, however, was James Crandon, the leader of the search. Originally a traveler from New York City, he had traveled all the way to Decker in hopes of opening his own business, but had since become the sheriff of the small town. He was one of the first out-of-state sheriffs the state of Virginia had ever had, and the townsfolk adored him.

         James was a tall man, dark in complexion with bright green eyes. His haired flowed over his shoulders and we swept back to reveal the lapels of his finely tailored jacket. He stood at base of the gallows, biting his bottom lip in anticipation. Glenda moved her eyes over to his and shook her head. James did nothing but smile.

         Glenda knew the truth.

         It was a beautiful day out in the fields. The sun was shining and the trees danced in the light breeze that blew from the north. The town was alive with workers and artists, walking the streets and making their living. Glenda stepped out of her small home and onto the dusty road. She could hear the children playing in the crop fields across the way and decided to go sit on the fence to watch them. She would see the blue of their shirts peering through the cornstalks as the bolted from side to side.

         “Tag!” one of the children would yell. “You’re it!”

         “Am not!” the other would cry, running away from the other children.

         Glenda would chuckle as the kids would argue. She would think to herself the games she played when she was their age. She missed those times so dearly. She jumped off the fence and decided that she was going to join the children, despite the fact that she was still wearing her cooking gown and soft shoes.

         The fallen stalk crunched under her feet as she walked towards the young ones, steps growing faster and faster until she was in a light jog. She finally reached the middle of the field to find that the children had left. Glenda circled the field, but the three where nowhere to be found.

         Glenda began to feel a warmth under her feet. The strange sensations struck fear into her heart as she look down to her toes and wiggled them in the thin, damp covering of her shoes.

Crimson.

         Glenda covered her face in horror and saw a trail of red leading to the back of the crop field. Her feet reluctantly pulled her towards the trail as tears rolled down her face. She stepped ever-so-carefully, terrified to know what was at the other end. The trail lead her to an old shack in the backwoods. Her hand shook as she stretched it out to the door. The hinges squealed as she gave it a small shove and peered inside. What she saw she knew would never leave her eyes. There, standing over three motionless children, was James.

         Glenda turned and ran.

         “Ladies and gentlemen!” the man in the robe continued. “It saddens me to have to watch such a young, pretty girl like this fall into the grasps of the devil. However, the crimes you have committed are beyond that which is forgivable here on Earth. Ms. Hadden, have you any words to say before you meet your fate?

         Glenda stood silent.

         James spoke up from the crowd. “The girl’s one of them mutes, Reverend. Can’t say a God damn thing if she tried.”

         Glenda hung her head in shame.

         “But worry not, Sir, I assure you, she is the culprit. I saw her do it with my own two eyes.”

         The reverend stepped up to Glenda, placing a hood over her head and began whispering a prayer into her ear. Her knees shook violently as she made her way towards the noose. Glenda felt the rope fall over her nose and chin as the reverend pulled it tight to her throat. The crowd stood in awe as the trapdoor opened with a loud clunk.

© Copyright 2014 Michael Orzechowski (morzechowski at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1976322-CLUNK