*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1976918-The-immortals-Support-Group
by RDLer
Rated: E · Other · Action/Adventure · #1976918
An old man's tale of the search for immortality.
"GODDAMN IT! BILLY YOU WATCH WHERE YOUR GOING, THAT TRUCK ALMOST HIT YOU!" Ah the sweet noise of my family coming to visit me. Best part of being in a home, seeing the modest to wild changes of your family. Its like looking through a magazine of before and after pictures. "Gawd mom I wasn't going to get hit, and even if i did i wouldn't die GEEEZE!" That boy was hitting his teenage years, and invincibility was now his. I watched as my loving red faced daughter walked in pushing her son through the door. " Your not immortal Billy you can die, and then what? Huh? Then you'll make me cry and I'll never forgive myself?" "Gawd, I'm sorry mom can i go get this over with already?" Little shit slumped his shoulders as he caught a glimpse of me. I always preferred my granddaughter's Michelle but i had seen she wasn't here today. I loved telling her stories, unlike her brother she listened and respected her elders. "Hey Grandpa" He barely opened his mouth to say those words but his mother butted in to give me a hug. I noticed that every time she had came to visit it was harder to get my arms around her. "Hey dad, hows the world?" Before I could give my two sense she never skipped a beat, "Ugh Billy's starting to drive me up a wall, Dave cant hold down a job for more than a day and I'm forced to pick up double shifts now at the hospital. Tell me everything will be alright Dad." I never was the sympathy giving type, so instead of being a supporting dad i would always change the subject. I think it was better for people anyway, a distraction helped more than any encouragement could ever do. "Where's Michelle, I got a real doozy of a story to tell her." Something about a boy and a date, I zoned out once she started to talk about herself again. I watched as billy sat and stared at his cell phone like the zombies I had seen on TV. "Billy how would you like to hear a story about your old grandpa?" He looked up and gave a less than half ass shrug and continued on with his cell phone. I was getting a little frustrated as his mother assured me that he was fine playing with his cell phone while we talked. So I stood up from my comfy old chair that i noticed needed a few patches fixed, nothing duct tape couldn't handle, and walked over to my grandson. First I stood there and watched as an angry looking bird flew across his screen into a nest of green pigs. "Your half way to becoming immortal Billy, I see your Zombification has started to set in nicely." I finally got a perk out of my grandson as he smirked and waved me off, "The only thing you know about zombies grandpa is looking like them". A smack would have done the boy good but I decided to push his interests. "I had a friend once, well not a friend more of an colleague that actually created a zombie." I got the look anyone would have gave an old man that claimed such a thing but i went on, " Yeah, his desires of immortality lied within the biology of humanity. Then there were the others." Billy finally pulled his heavy head up and had to ask, "The others?"

"Oh god where do I start? It was such a long time ago and such a long story are you sure you wouldn't like to keep playing that little game of yours? He shook his head no as I went back to my chair noticing Billy get up and follow. "What did you tell him now dad? Not another one of your stories?" My daughter hadn't heard this story so I told her to have a seat as well. So I told my story, the story of the Immortals.

© Copyright 2014 RDLer (roman.l at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1976918-The-immortals-Support-Group