*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1977382-Fight-Flight-Freeze
Rated: 18+ · Other · Psychology · #1977382
Recognizing survival behavior responses.

Fight, Flight, and Freeze
Recognize and Release Survival Responses
"As the number of ACE experiences increased, so did the chances of the individual experi­encing cancer, chronic lung disease, skeletal fractures and liver disease. The correlations between addictions-nicotine, alcohol and illicit drugs-and early adverse experiences were so strong that the researchers concluded that "addiction" is more attributable to characteristics intrinsic to early life experiences than to characteristics within the drugs themselves." according to Robin Karr-Morse's book: Scared Sick: The Role of Childhood Trauma in Adult Disease.

Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACE) increase the likelihood of adult diseases. Some may be traumatic experiences that begin while still inside the mother. However, by recognizing the behaviors associated with trauma (fight, flight, and freeze); a sense of empowerment follows this awareness. Knowledge of the unhealthy thoughts or actions provides an option to modify unhealthy behaviors. If someone denies their smoking habit is linked to personal trauma; then there is not a clear path to modify the behavior. When this person in denial contemplates that smoking is a survival reaction to something that is no longer happening; here, the option to modify the behavior arises because such trauma is not in the present moment. As your yoga practices expand, take credit for the release and freedom that comes with overpowering these toxic behaviors that are linked to childhood or perhaps, inutero experience.

Control over survival responses and unhealthy behaviors affect health. Prevention of early traumatic experiences influences recovery from disease throughout adulthood. How important is recovery from trauma within your community? Benefits of collaborative effort to reduce Adverse Childhood Experiences include; a reduction of obesity, addiction, heart disease, and promiscuity, among other self-soothing behaviors. Traumatic experiences appear related to the individual; but can also be in part related to a social condition; such as war, adoption, or poverty. All such global conditions have lasting health effects.

© Copyright 2014 Lucia Charbonneau (arcomeau at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1977382-Fight-Flight-Freeze