*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1978202-3-Too-Many
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Mystery · #1978202
This was an incredibly vivid dream I had... So I'm writing it down. As a story!
Fall 1879

I sure get tired of being so prim and proper all the time. These big ugly dresses, and fancy furnishings are a a big waste of my time. If we must live through life, why not do it comfortably? I am everything but comfortable!

Set off an old dirt road, heading out of town we have the Maryland residence. That's me, my family's home. My mama married a rich businessman when she was 16. At the time, he was 23, already bringing in money from working and continuing his fathers works. He had also inherited a great deal of money from his great grandfather.

Mama said it was love at first site for her. Papa says he didn't feel a thing until he witnessed her walking down that aisle. Seeing her in the dress her ma had made her, he said he couldn't peel his eyes off of her.

Papa had this place built for her for her 18th birthday, the day they found out they were pregnant with me. Pa said I'd need one fine place to stay. It sure is a nice place to stay, but I'm getting absolutely tired of it.
~~~
The foyer of our mansion consists of marble floors speckled with gold. A staircase up to where we sleep each and every night. My brother who is 5 years younger then me, at the age of 12, still sleeps in the closet room attached to our parents room.

Finally I have got my own room and it's quite grand. The walls are papered in flowers and birds. A large canopy bed sheathed in white. At the foot of my bed sits a trunk. That trunk is where mama stores her wedding dress, the one my great grandma made. Ma says I'll wear it someday.

Our dining room has a massive table laid with our shiny china. I've never figured out why it's so long, with only 4 people in our house, and mama doesn't very well like to entertain. Just for status I reckon, everything is for status. The living room opens off the dining room in a large room with a long sofa and 3 chairs. A coffee table fills the space between the furniture. The fire place is the focal point of the whole room, reaching all the way to the ceiling of out massive house.

Bricks stretch to the ceilings and up and out into the chimney. The fire roars nearly every night from the beginning of fall to the last day winter.

Outside we have one neighbor, well, neighboring house anyway. The owner was arrested a few months ago for trying to burn down the general store in town. Rumor has it he was trying to kill the family that owned it, and claim all they had. Doesn't make since to me but that doesn't matter.

That house was built strong but not strong enough to keep itself up. It's been dark for awhile, and the grass is taller then my knees. Pa says it looks great though because it makes our house look even better.

A balcony juts from the top of our house. The door opens into the upstairs hallway. Up here we can sit and read newspapers, or chat, or watch the horizon sink and change from day to night. Underneath it though, shadows lurk...
~~~
A light tap on the door brings mama to the door.

I watch from the very top of the staircase as mama answers the door, pa not far behind. A young gentleman standing tall, yet nervous wearing a very nice black suit asks a question. Ma and Pa step aside and discuss. While they do so, I stare at that handsome fellow, his medium build, dark hair, and shimmering skin attracts my eyes right to him. Before I could look away he spots my stare. My parents turn back around and nod towards him He steps inside. I stand up as fast as I can in my tight corset and slip and run back to my room as I hear two sets of feet shuffle up the stairs.

"This is where you'll stay. I hope you find it comfortable enough. Let me know if you need anything. Jonathan will be up soon to show you around. He's our butler"

"Wonderful. Thank you Mrs. ah, I didn't catch your name I reckon."

"Mrs. Maryland. Thank you."

Next a tap on my door. "Dear we have a visitor staying with us for a while. Don't be shy."

"Mother, are you kidding. he can't live with us!"

"Why not dear?"

"Because, ugh!" Because he is so handsome and gorgeous. Because he'll take my heart away.

"You don't even know him! "He hasn't a place to stay. We'll house him for awhile. You'll see, everything will be fine."

"You don't know him either ma!"
~~~~~~
Stranger

I haven't seen that pretty face I saw at the top of the staircase again. She just disappeared. Mrs. Maryland said she had one daughter and one son, both becoming good at being unsocial.

"Ah, you must be Jonathan, I'm Jackson, Jackson Tate. Very nice to meet you."

"And you as well." A man of few words I see. "Are you ready for your tour, sir?"

"As ready as ever, thank you." Jon walked me out my bedroom door and pointed out everyone's room and the balcony doors. I did my best to remember to knock on the second one on the left when I came back up.

"The powder room, the dining room, the kitchen..." The list went on. "This is the library in which the children spend a great deal of time" Good to know. "Now, if you don't mind, I must attend to dinner, I reckon you want to sit tonight?"

"Oh, yes sir, thank you."

"Very well then."

What a strange man. I'm not sure I enjoy his company, but so be it. Making my way back up stairs I try to remember which door it was, the second... on the left.

"Hello sir."

"He-hello ma'am, I was just-"

"Nervous are we? Welcome. Jackson, did you say it was?"

"Yes ma'am."

"Alexis, please." A first name basis already, I don't think I can handle this. "Follow me."

I followed her nervously into my room and she sits down in a chair.

"What do you do Mr. Tate. For a living?"

"Ah, well, nothing at the moment, I'm ashamed to say so, but it's only the truth ma'am, uh, Alexis."

"I see, where did you get your suit?"

"My fathers, ma'am."

"Hmm..." Then there was an awkward silence. "Thank you," And just like that she stood and left.
~~~
Alexis

Jackson seemed trustworthy, and wonderful, you can tell a lot by a man's stature. I won't mind his stay at all.

"Ma'am, dinner is waiting." Jon said at my door.
~~~
"Well, Mr. Tate, tell us about yourself." Mama said to start a dinner conversation above the clink of the silverware.

"Mrs. Maryland, I was the son of a wealthy ranch man, but he passed away recently to old age. My ma kicked me out one night on one of her crazy days. She is mentally ill. And she didn't want me to come back. I even asked her on a good day and she still wouldn't let me back in. I had no where to go, no where to sleep. So I climbed the side of our house and gathered a few clothes, just my suit, my fathers, and set out on my way."

"How'd you get clear out here?"

"Walkin' ma'am, along way from home." He smiled shyly and glanced towards me.

"I reckon you've met my daughter already, Alexis. This is my son, Jeremiah. Myself and my husband are more then happy to have your company."

"Thank you Mrs." It was so hard to keep my eyes off of him!
~~~
I have a secret! Don't you tell now, but the last few days Jackson and I have been sneaking to the balcony in the night. Just casual long night chats. We've told each other a lot about ourselves and I seem to have known him forever. Each night, at around 10 pm, we climb out f our beds to talk about our days together, I haven't ever felt I'd had a friend until now. His laugh, even when muffled is brilliant, his eyes are so green and lovely, too.

Tonight, Jackson didn't show up. I knocked softly on his door and walked in.

"Jackson, it's 10."

"I know, I'm to tired tonight, go ahead and go back to sleep." His voice heavy with sleep and muffled in pillows.

"Ok." Confused. "Goodnight."

"Goodnight Lexi." He sounds so sweet.

I flopped in bed a little sad he was so tired, but pa had been making him help out around the house, so it wasn't questionable.

While I slept that night, some one else, was not even going to wake up the next morning...
~~~
I jolt awake to a screaming women's voice, my mother's. I slip on my night robe and run down the stairs, nearly tripping on the rug lining the stairs. Some how I make it to the bottom. Searching for the source of my mothers terrible screams, I detect a faint smell, an awful smell.

"Ahh!" My ma is pointing breathlessly into the pantry. I swing around the counter and clutch pa's arm. The pantry is red, bloody, deathly, morbid. In the middle of it all was our poor Jon. Dead. What in God's name had happened!?

"Who did this!!??" Ma couldn't contain herself, she was screaming in pa's face and glaring at me. Not once in the night did I hear a scream of death, a knock on the door, or a creak in the floor. How did this happen, when did this happen?

Mama began questioning, me, then pa, then herself, yes she questioned herself. She even questioned dear old Maggy, our gardener. Maggy was quiet and reserved. She had African American history pulsing in her blood. Her weathered skin was tanned with a good dose of sun and her rich heritage, her hair black as night, and her eyes as brown as her skin. We don't own her though, she is not a slave, just a gardener. She worked hard to raise us when we were young, for awhile she was like our nanny. She is as sweet as could be, I don't know why ma would question her at all.

But Jon's body lay mutated in the pantry of our beautiful house. The marble pantry floor stained. It looked like he was stabbed with the first laceration in his heart, since he did not scream, and his hair was chopped, leaving random patches missing and bald. The stomach of the innocent man was brutally bruised and cut. What on Earth had happened in here!?

"Where is Mr. Tate?" Mother asks me with a serious glare.

"I don't know, I'll go find him." I sprinted up the stairs. Silently I sent up a prayer that he was sound asleep in his bed, the last thing I want is for him to be blamed for something like this.

As I walked in, there he was, snoring safe and sound.

"Jackson, wake up!"

"Mm..." He mumbled back at me. I could sit here and listen to him breath in and out all night, and be perfectly at ease with everything, fall right back asleep, be perfectly happy... Snap out of this!

"Jackson, it's Jonathan, he's dead!"

"What?" Those bright eyes shot open faster than I expected.

"Jonathan is lying dead in the pantry! Wake up!!" I jostled him until he yelled at me. I mad him mad.

"Ok!! Give me a second alone so I can get dressed!" I couldn't have him mad when he went downstairs to my angry, shocked mother. Suddenly my lips, they fell. Right onto his. They were soft, warm, dry with sleep. Surprisingly, I lingered there for a moment too long. Pull away, pull away!

"Hurry up, mama wants to question you no doubt. Come on." With my cheeks crimson with embarrassment, I slowly walked back out of his room and down the stairs for the second time that night.
~~~
"He should be coming, he was still asleep." Mama looked suspicious towards me. Was something obvious?

Dressed in just an undershirt and dress pants, Jackson appears, sleepy-eyed and bed-headed.

"It was you wasn't it?" Ma yelled in his face, and poked a hard, mean finger at his chest. Her face was bright red and her brows were crinkled deeply. I have never seen my own mother this mad in my life.

"What!? I just woke up, are you kidding me!" He rubbed his eyes and peaked in the pantry. Those bright green eye shot open like a canon, bigger then the sun that was rising outside the window. Faster then he could really even investigate, he turned around, found our waste bin, and threw up. Now his face was brighter then mine had been.

"I am - so sorry."
~~~
"If he can't even handle the sight of that like a lady can, how could he have done it?" I whispered angrily at my mother.

"You never know dear, my, men are sneaky." She was being absurd, ridiculous even.

I know for a fact that Jackson did not participate in this- slaughtering. Just my gut instinct I suppose but he went to bed early, and I never heard his door open, or his feet hit the floor.

"Jackson, come here!" I spoke quietly, but the words were filled with anger, and frustration. I caught his hand and dragged him around the corner, faster then he could tell it was me. He threw his arms up the best he could in some sort of defense, assuming it was my mother.

"Are they crazy? Why would they think you would do something like this?"

"I don't know. Do I seem like a murderer?"

"No." I said lightly and quiet as I stared at his chest, not wanting to look him in the eyes. "You don't." How could he be! He's so charming, generous, and polite, no there's no way he could have done it.

"Hey, what exactly was that this morning when you were waking me up?" He smiled at me, his eyes glistening.

"What are you talking about?"

"You know just what I am talking about, Alexis. Do you have some kind of attraction to me?" He gently grabbed my hand but I couldn't do anything but turn away. "You kissed me this morning Ms. Maryland. You kissed me."

"I did no such thing! How could you accuse me of such a preposterous encounter?" I giggled, about to give into another kiss. When I turned back around he was looking deeply at me.

"Yes you did." And he bent down for another try.

"Listen Mr. Tate, I can't handle this! Besides you just threw up... So I kissed you once-"

"I told you you did." He smirked.

"But, I can't now. Our butler has been brutally murdered and my family thinks you did it, and-" Tears started falling down my face.

"Hey, don't cry. Come on." His arm wrapped around my mid section and he led me straight to the balcony.

The family talked out on the lawn. They mostly yelled at one another and blamed each other.

"Your family is taking this pretty hard."

"Well of course they are! Someone has committed a murder in our house!"

"How do you presume it was murder? Could Jon have taken his own life?"

"You're kidding right? You saw the blood and gore and crazy damage that had been done! No one, even the most talented, could do that to themselves!"

"Sorry I asked." He watched me peer over the balcony from his rocking chair. The sound of his voice told me he was smiling at me.

My mother peeked up and saw my face.

"Where's that Tate?" Ma yelled with all her might right up at me.

"He's right here mother!"

"You bring him down here this instant!"

I whipped around to gather him, and to my surprise he was right behind me. Thunk, I ran right into his hard chest.

"Come on, ma wants you again."

"Kiss me once more."

"No! Come."
~~~~~~
My brother was being questioned by my father. "You don't ever come and talk to us boy, you don't ever help me work, you don't ever come and sit with me."

"What is your point, Herald?" My ma yelled into his face.

"You, being an only boy in this house, are feeling lonely, feeling depressed, feeling-"

"Pa, are you pulling my chain? Do you really think I could have done that sort of damage to a human being? I'm only but a young man." My brother sulked, his shoulders feel, and a tear streamed down his face. He was sensitive and couldn't handle much yelling and screaming.

"Exactly."

"You prove nothing."

"Mr. Tate. What were you doing last night?" Pa turned his attention from Jeremiah to Jackson very fast.

"Well, sir, I went to bed about 10 last night. I was simply plum tired of working."

"I suppose you were asleep all night long like everyone else was, too."

"Yes sir."

Papa grumbles deep in his throat. "None of this would have happened if hadn't of shown up!"

"You are presuming that I am to blame sir?"

"Papa, you are mistaking! How could he kill someone while he was sleeping!" Everyone is just screaming, I'd momentarily forgotten what a soft spoken dialogue sounds like. Then I remember talking up on the balcony, what a relief.

"How could someone kill a human at all? You're protecting him I see. Are you the killer, my own daughter?"

"Pa! No sir, I could never do such a thing!"

"That is what everyone is saying, but someone obviously did something! Are you smitten with him?" He pointed slightly with his chin, to Mr. Tate. My face lit on fire, my cheeks went as red as our rose bushes.

"No sir." I felt my eyes roll and my voice dropped as I gulped. "Absolutely not."

"Are you two working together? Who's next?"

"Papa!

"Your mother instructed me that I question everyone, and so I am."

"How does she know that you didn't do it?" Jackson butted in and yelled at my father. My father glared at him with all the anger and power in his body surging threw him.

"Because Mr. Tate-" He enunciated every syllable, "she sleeps by my side every night. Claims she didn't feel me move a muscle."

"Pa, again you are proving nothing!" Jeremiah said off to the side.

"Keep quiet boy!" Papa was furious now.

"Did you question your wife, sir?"

"Yes."

"And?"

"I never felt her move either." So this is how we are all trying to decide who it was, by whether or not we felt someone move or not in their sleep. How professional.

That big quarrel got us nowhere in finding out who the killer was or is. Papa remained boiling mad and mama was losing her mind, she just knew that Jackson was the killer.

"Alexis, steer clear of that boy! And as soon as I find him guilty, I'll throw him out!"

"Mother, you're being absurd."

"No, I just know that it was him. Who else would have done it? I raised my young'uns much better than that!"

"Mama, I don't think anyone did it here in the house."

"What do you mean?"

"I think something in my gut tells me no one in this house did such thing. Something else must have happened."

"Well, when you get proof, or a better story, you let me know!" Mama was just absolutely furious. She was going crazy. Instead of looking her elite self as normal, in a bushy dress and brushed hair tight in a bun sitting on top of her head, she was wearing her hair down, better to pull out I guess, as she has been doing that a lot lately. And her dress had reduced to a silk and flat evening dress looking simply like a slip. The hoop in the bottom of her dresses expressed her sanity...gone.
~~~
"Jackson, I think we should investigate this ourselves."

"Really? How?" He seemed intrigued by the thought, not at all what I had expected. I guess that I expected him to turn it down as fast as it came out of my mouth.

"I don't know, but I certainly don't like you being blamed for all of this!" I looked him in the eye and droplets of my anxious saliva plopped on his face.

"Well I don't either. Lexie, do you trust me that I didn't do it?" His hand covered his face for a moment to wipe my sprinkles from his face. The look of helplessness was captured in his face, he didn't know what to do.

"Yes."

"Good. I can promise-" he moved closer to me and rest his hands on my shoulders, "I didn't do it."

"I believe every word you say to me Mr. Tate." And I did.

We were back on the balcony but the clouds were dark, and it was everything but refreshing. The humidity had hit record levels and there was a serious looking storm brewing in the distance. Maybe it will go around us who know, but I decided to grab Jackson's wrist and lead him back into the upstairs hall and into the door that I could claim as my bed room. This was so inappropriate. I motioned for him to have a seat on one of the many pieces of furniture that I had scattered around my room.

"Jackson, it's time to try this again."

"What are you talking about?"

"I like you, I really like you. And I believe that you had nothing to do with this murder. I'm so tired of my parents arguing, I'm tired of remembering that terrible picture of the pantry, I'm so tired of hiding this from myself, and you." He looked honestly worried at what I was trying to get at. I anxiously rubbed my sweaty palms together and stood in front of him. "Jackson, I am so smitten with you!" My lips fell heavily on his for the second time. This time something happened, something exploded deep inside me. What on Earth was this experience? I couldn't pull away, it was too intense, in a very good way. My lips parted naturally as he dug into this real kiss. The explosion was growing bigger and bigger inside of me.

"Alexis! Where are you dear?" Mama was quickly striding down the hall and was about to open my door.

"Come on, look like we were discussing something! Don't just sit there dumbfounded!" I whispered loudly to our sweet guest. I don't know why I told him not to look dumbfounded, I was a little myself.

"Oh, I'm sorry if I am interrupting. May I borrow you in the kitchen?"

"Yes ma."

"It will only be a short while, without our dear butler, I'm afraid we must prepare the table ourselves."

"Dinner will be done shortly, Mr. Tate." I concluded as I walked with my mother and away from the one and only person I wanted to be around at the moment.
~~~
My eyes would not shut that night. I could only keep thinking about Jackson and what he meant to me. What exactly did he mean to me? Well he was my only friend even though I had only recently met him I felt like I'd known him for ever, he was the only person I trusted, and he was the only person I felt trusted me. He is my best friend. In the midst of my day dreaming in the dark, a tap startled me, but before I could get up to answer it, Jackson himself walked on in.

I was not decent to present myself to him so I huddled deeper into my covers, pulling them high up to my chin.

"What in God's name are you doing here right now?" I whispered.

"Shh, I have something for you."

"What couldn't wait for morning, Mr. Tate?"

"A poem."

"A what? Are you loosing your mind too?"

"No, look I wrote you a poem. I've been out on the balcony, you never showed up so I started writing what I wanted to tell you. Here." He handed me a crisp piece of paper folded over in half with my name scribbled on the front.

"Can I read it in the morning? I really should try to get some sleep. You are making that very hard, Mr. Tate." I giggled in his direction, but I knew that I wouldn't be sleeping tonight, my mind was racing with so many things, the murder, the romance, the blame game that was making it's way around the house. I was not going to sleep.

Jackson looked at me and sulked a little. "I guess so. But don't forget." That was all he said as he left me in the dark.
~~~
I witnessed the sun come up before my eyes ever closed. But no sooner did my eyes finally drift into sleep, someone, Jackson, knocked on my door with quite a thud.

"Excuse me," I shielded my eyes from the bright sun sneaking through my window and from what came through the hallway as he held my door open. "What do you want? I told I would read your poem, but I'm barely awake, give me a break."

"Hey, good morning."

"What time is it?"

"Eight thirty-four to be precise." Out of no where I feel his lips touch my neck.

"What are you doing? Mama would slit my throat!"

"She left. Her and Mr. Maryland went into town to talk to the constable."

"Mm..." I didn't know how to reply to that.

"How much do you reckon you like me?"

"Why do you ask?" My heart was pounding like crazy in my chest as I knew where this might be leading.

"I just wondered. Can't a man wonder?" His lips left a small trail of wetness along my neck. There was an explosion again.

Jackson crawled on my heavily blanketed, four poster bed and tucked his arms behind his head. He gazed at my ceiling looking happy as ever.

"How long to town do you suppose it is?"

"Oh, maybe an hour or so. Why are you in my bed, can't you respect my privacy?"

"You barged in on me the other night, not asking permission, I think I can do the same to you for once." He chuckled and turned to face me.

"That was so different!"

Then suddenly I was tasting his lips again, locked together by some of the most powerful flesh a human has. Kind of embarrassed I let out a small moan. That wasn't supposed to come out of my vocals! It must not embarrassed me too bad because my breathing was getting heavier, faster.

He backed away for a moment, "I think that you are very pretty."

"Um, thank you?" I questioned not knowing what to say to that comment. Really I didn't want to talk at all I wanted to explore what was about to happen.

"What are you thinking, Alexis?"

"I don't know, I do but, I don't." That sounded like the stupidest thing I'd ever said.

"Tell me."

"Can I show you instead?"

"Yes." His breath was whispy and quiet. I gathered myself, and trudged up out of my bed. All I could do now was hope this was why he was here, otherwise, I was about to make a huge mistake! My gut churned as words fell out of my mouth. This was time to let myself go, break the pattern of following orders and be myself, follow my own instructions.

"You have got me very curious, Mr. Tate." I slipped my nighty up over my head.

"Lexie," A small gasp escaped his mouth as he tried to reel in a little air.

"What do you say, Jackson?" I asked him with a worried grin on my face. "Would you like to..."

I've never done this before. I don't know what to say or do. Walking closer to him, he stands up and I become even more nervous and self-conscious. I closed my hands behind his neck and against my bare body I feel him, a good sign he wants to do this too. My lips part and are magnetized to his. Now he sneaks in a slight moan and without taking his lips from mine he lays me across my bed.

"Are you sure we should be doing this?"

"I'm tired of being bound by my parents tall orders. I want this no matter what they say." This was scary, I was about to defy my parents and start a whole line of lies to them. I was about to rebel. "Please, just..."

"Lexie, I'll love you till you tell me to stop." His voice was so soft. Had he done this before? Does he know what to do? I certainly do not.

"Then please Mr. Tate, love me until I tell you to stop."
~~~
The sun brightly intruded my room through my second story window, shimmering off small beads of sweat on Jackson's body.

"Alexis?"

"Yes, Mr. Tate." I asked quizzically.

"I, that was excellent. You were excellent." He sighed finally gaining his full breathing routine back. His chest rose and fell with the slow, intrinsic motion of his now quiet breathing. Jackson Tate looks wonderful, is wonderful. So wonderful a matter of fact that I trusted him with my life, I mean, I did just give him my everything.

"Thank you, as were you. Now, my parents will be home anytime. Fix yourself." I grinned toward him and sat up on the bed, swinging my feet over the side. Just then I heard a door slam downstairs.

"Hurry up!" I rustled to find the clothes I had taken off and found his in the process. I threw them at him and he swiftly began dragging on clothes one leg at a time. The nighty that I had taken off earlier was crumpled on the floor, I picked it up, pulled it on and jumped over to look out the window, to see who might have slammed that door so hard. There was no sign of anyone being here.

"Who is it?"

"I don't know, I don't see anyone."

"Hm," He stepped, tripped rather, into his dress pants. I found a day dress and slipped it over my head and pulled up my hair then plopped right back down on my bed.

"That was such a close call, we shouldn't let that happen again."

"Well, I conclude that you are correct." Jackson's face fell slightly, and in my hands, my buried face fell five times greater then his did. I wanted this little thing to last. That was the most rebellious, fun thing I'd ever done! I wondered how far I could get in a relationship with Mr. Tate, all the while keeping it from my parents.

"But I certainly would like to keep a secret relationship with you Mr. Tate. I'm just plum tired of following my parents ways and rules, I'm ready to grow up."

"Oh Alexis," My head fell to his shoulder and he hugged me tightly, "what about that poem now?" The door downstairs slammed again. "Never mind that, we probably should go and figure out what that is."

"No, wait. I'm sure it can wait." From beneath my pillow I pulled that single sheet of paper. "Let me open it." He smiled so big at me. It made that tiny spot inside of me explode for the fiftieth time today.

"Something is going on down there, I'll go check it out. Think about following me please."

"Oh, alright!" I tucked the sheet back under my pillow and trailed behind him.
~~~
"Maggy, what in the world..." Jackson looked stunned. I ran up behind and my stomach churned. I knew what was going on.

"Maggy, what are you doing?" I asked quietly. Maggy's job is simple, or so she makes it seem, watering and weeding, watering and weeding, she's grateful for her break in the winter. She lay under the water pump near the side of the house. The lever was tied to the handle and the water was still running. The yard was slushy from being drowned in the water, and the balcony blocked the light that I needed to see what was really going on. I ventured closer to see better. To my surprise, I saw a blue tint in her face and bugged, bulging eyes protruding from her head.

"Strangulation." Jackson mumbled. I knelt beside the poor women's body and tried to untangle the rope that was tragically cutting through her skin. Maybe there was hope. But her eyes didn't fall peacefully back into her skull, and her chest didn't rise and fall.

"They will think we did this Tate! What are we supposed to do now!?"

"We just have to make them believe the truth." Jackson murmured to me, kissing my forehead.

"Jackson! Really, they will never believe us! They left us alone together today and we were supposedly the only people in the house! They won't-"

"Shh, we just have to tell the truth."
~~~
"Ma," I gulped and gasped for air, the least bit of air would help me choke this out. "Mr. Tate and I found Maggy today." An enormous exhale escaped from me just then.

"Well dear, 'found' makes it sound like she's dead." She giggled hysterically, "She isn't dead is she?" She stopped dead in her laughing fit. A lump fell in my stomach.

"Um," I sniffed and my eyes began to water, no, don't cry now... "Actually, she is."

"Are you pretending, Alexis Maryland?" She glared with a hard stare at me and then to Jackson, then back at me.

"No ma'am. She looked like she was strangled, with a rope, or tie of some sort." Jackson butted in and tried to defend me, but I don't know that mama was buying it.

"Where is she?" Tears fell from mama's eyes too now, she didn't want to believe it, that our family friend from the beginning was fallen in the yard. Neither did I.

"We covered her up in the back yard for now, not sure what you'd want done with the body. She is over by the spicket on the side of the house underneath the deck." Jackson was being strong even though he knew sooner or later he'd be blamed. Mama stared at me again, she looked in my eyes and just killed me with shivers that tingled down my body.

"You know, it's beginning to sound a lot like you two are partners in crime, that wouldn't be the case now would it?"

"Mother! I can't believe you'd even say a thing like that! What makes you so sure that Mr. Tate and I, your own daughter, would be killing away our own people?" I was nearly yelling at my mama now, she was furious with me, but I was even more furious with her. I looked over and realized Jackson had disappeared.

"Where were you while this happened?" She questioned.

"Up in my room, and Mr. Tate was helping me choose a dress, he was with me when we heard a door slam downstairs."

"I see. Where is he now?"

"Who?"

"Mr. Tate!"

"Just a guess, but he's probably up on the balcony."

"Very well. Don't worry, I'll get to the bottom of this."

"Mama!" She took off not listening to me anymore. She doesn't believe me. What if I die next? Will she believe Jackson then? Will she murder Jackson herself? Is my mother strong enough to kill? These questions to myself got my mind churning. Who was next?
~~~
I ran up to the balcony but didn't find Jackson there. Where was he? I sprung into his room, the dining room, the toilet, the kitchen, which was so quiet without Jon there. Where the hell did Jackson Tate disappear too?

I ran into my room and yelled his name! I was so frustrated that I just plopped down and cried on my bed until a pounding that could have killed me beat slowly in my head.

"Stop crying." Jackson popped up from no where and came to sit on the edge of my bed, his lips tentatively kissing my neck in that familiar way that I was not yet used to but completely comforted by.

"Where were you at?" I asked him between heavy sobs of anger and pain and relief.

"I was sitting right over there on the chair that you first seduced me out of. How did you not see me?" I laughed at his wording.

"Jackson Tate, you scared the hell out of me."

"Your language Ms.!" He chuckled at me loud and happily and suddenly my tears just, disappeared.

"Wait a second, why were you in my room?"

"Simply because I needed to feel safe for a moment, and this was the only place that I really feel safe in this house. I wanted to get away and hide. I'm so tired of this, I want to leave but I can't because I've kind of fallen in love with you." A warm glow spritzed his face. My face on the other hand, turned as red as the tomatoes that we will now have to grow on our own.

"You, feel safe here? That's peculiar. Why is that?"

"Because this is where I was calm, cool, collected this morning and that is a wonderful memory that makes me feel safe, not only in your room but with you in general. Alexis, I love you." These were strong words that for some reason I was scared to hear but they didn't hurt me in the least. I was actually relieved and my shoulders eased slightly and the bright color faded from my cheeks because I knew that I really loved this man, this stranger.

"I love you too, Jackson."
~~~
When the night fell over the old house that evening, I retreated to the balcony for the evening. The fresh crisp air was cool tonight and that was so rare. I had a sweet glass of tea sitting on the balcony ledge and I stood there looking over the green lawn that was now up to us to tend. I didn't want to go to bed tonight. I stuck my feet up on the ledge of the balcony as I decided to sit comfortably down in the padded porch chair. At precisely ten o' clock, Mr. Tate came out.

I didn't have much to say to him, so I glanced his way and hoped he'd have something to say. But instead we just chose to sit in silence. The moon was very dull this evening but the stars certainly were bright. I stood and he tried to stop me.

"Jackson, I'm only coming to you, I'm not leaving." He had my wrist thinking that I was going to leave him out here all alone, but I only wanted to be sneaky again. I planted myself on his lap and he wrapped his arms around me. At any moment my parents could walk out here for their own moment of air, and here I was inappropriately sitting on a strange man's lap. My adrenaline was flowing, rushing through my body! "Do you think that someone else will die? Who will be next? Who do you think is doing this?" I asked all these questions so fast.

"Lexi, I haven't lived here long so I can't really say. But I know for a fact that it is not me. And I know it isn't you."

"I'm scared." The grip he had around my waist tightened and he kissed my ear.

"I know, love, I know. What do you say I tuck you into bed tonight, you need your sleep. It may make you feel better."

"Ok, as long as you kiss me good night as well."

"Of course!" And he stood with a swift motion as if I was not even on his lap. Strong arms carried me to the door and set me down. We walked inside composed and full of self control. My only wish was that my parents weren't in there waiting for me.

I opened the door in quick movement, hoping it would not creak loudly. I lead Jackson in my room with my hand tightly in his. The door to my room closes silently behind Jackson and as soon as he turns around I'm in my nighty and ready for bed. His arms scooped me up and laid me gently on my bed, pulled the blankets out from under me and fluffed the pillows that lay under my head and the ones beside me as well. Before I got completely comfortable, the man crawled in beside me.

"What are you doing?" I questioned shyly.

"I can not just lay beside you?"

"You best be up and out of here before my parents are up."

"I know." Turning around on my side, I laid my head softly in his arm. I wish that this morning could happen again, but I was too tired. But I lay there remembering the details of the morning, how it went from bliss to death in a matter of moments. I wanted to escape into the wonderful world of dreams, dream something pleasant. Before I knew it, my eyes were closed tightly shut.
~~~
Morning came all too quickly and my eyes took too long to adjust, but for some reason I was confused. Something was missing. Then I remembered that Jackson wasn't by my side. I rustled quietly across the hall and peaked in his room. There he was quiet and sleeping heavily. I wondered briefly when he had left me in my deep sleep. I missed him for some reason. I wish that I could have woke up with him and for a moment I considered crawling into his bed. Maybe that wasn't the best idea. I shut the door and headed back to my own room to prepare for the day.

"Dear, I'll will be going to town this morning to talk again to someone. We need to find someone who can figure out who is killing people. I think that it is time to invest in someone to help us keep a look out, I have a strange feeling that whoever it is is not done." Finally it sounded like she was getting it that it was not Jackson and it was not I. I weight lifted from my shoulders. "Would you like to come?"

"No thank you mama." I couldn't come up with a reason, but I hope it would work and she would not force me to go in the uncomfortable coach behind the horses.

She sighed sadly before replying. "Ok, then keep a good eye out for anything. I think that I understand that it is neither you nor Mr. Tate. I just need to know. My poor Maggy is gone. Maggy was a good friend, and it is so sad, and then Jon, poor Jon." She let out a soft sob and then added, "Oh I reckon I ought to get a move on then, I'll be home by dinner."

I heard her heavy feet trail down the stairs and I watched her coach leave the garage. What was I going to do today? I ran over to Jackson's room. "Hey you, what can we do today?" He wiped his eyes from sleep and I watched as he drug his mouth across his pillow to rid himself of any embarrassing drool. Inaudibly, he mumbled to me. I poked his side and sank down beside him. "Mama went to town again today."

Jackson was so asleep that he was talking, not to me, but to himself, in a dream? "Look under the porch..." He trailed into more blurred words. I wondered what he was talking about. Seeing as he was still very much asleep, I ran downstairs. Secretly I went to look under the porch, as Jackson had hinted at in my dream. There was nothing unusual, other then the mud pit that had formed from all the water yesterday. Maggy's body had been drug out to a police wagon and they took her to town to lay her comfortably at rest. Her mangled, poor body was in sad shape, so they were going to do what they could to make her look better before they lowered her down. Poor Maggy.

I peeked in the kitchen and remembered that Jon was not there, there was no breakfast ready. I looked in the ice box, I checked in the cupboards and there wasn't much around. What had my family been feasting on the last few nights?

"How are you this morning, little lady?" The voice frightened me and I jumped and there in the door stood my father.

"Oh, papa you scared me! I'm fine thank you."

"Where's Tate?"

"He is still asleep, do you need help with work today?"

"No, I was just a curious fellow I suppose. Has he enjoyed his stay?" He walked to the table and pulled out a chair.

"I believe, sir. He is ready to stop being blamed for all this non-sense though as you could imagine." My papa stared me down.

"I reckon he can't stay much longer, especially if he's doing this, we'll find out sooner or later." I didn't look him in the eyes, and I walked out of the kitchen and quickly up the stairs. I've never just ignored my parents the way I have been lately. It was scary. But he didn't walk after me.
~~~
"Jackson, my pa still believes that you have a part in all of this mayhem. When will they believe us?" My breath was raspy and I was frustrated. I was in full panic mode for some reason and I just wanted to run away.

"Alexis, I'm not doing this, you know that and that is all that matters." He pulled me into a hug and I accepted.

"I'm so tired."

"I know, hopefully it will be all over soon enough, I know you are tired, come." Back into my room he fell onto my bed with me and ran his hand over my head. "Why don't you just lay in here for awhile, enjoy some quiet time and do something that you want to do, relax."

"That sounds pleasant. But,"

"You can do it. I'll leave you be."

"No," I whispered. I didn't want him to hear me, I wanted to be alone, but with him. Forever.

"Yes. Enjoy." Mr. Tate kissed my forehead and left my room, closing the door tightly behind him. I stared at it hoping he'd walk back in but he didn't. So I looked up at my ceiling and closed my eyes. Maybe I could just let myself enjoy this. Maybe I couldn't. Then I remembered. There was a poem under my pillow. I drug it out and held it, shaking. Something that I had forgot to do, but something that I really wanted to do was read what was in this poem.

I opened it.
© Copyright 2014 GizzardBiscuit (gizzardbiscuit at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1978202-3-Too-Many