*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1978245-Jonas
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Occult · #1978245
A boy with psychic powers is asked to find a missing girl.
The door opened behind Jonas as he sat at his desk. Three people entered. One felt familiar, he recognized his mind as Dr. Matthews. The other two were new, fresh, untouched. Jonas smiled slightly, amused, and swiveled around in his desk chair.

“Dr. Matthews,” he chimed amiably, “what brings you to my little corner of the zoo? Oh, but I see you brought guests.”

“Cut the crap, Jonas. You know why these people have come.” The doctor moved to reveal a man and a woman in their mid thirties.

Jonas frowned. “I never have visitors, how could I possibly--“

“Jonas...”

Jonas paused. “Alright, Doctor. I’ll play nice. Not that you deserve it, keeping me locked up in this guilded cage.” He motioned theatrically to the room in general, a typical teenage boy’s room, albeit extremely tidy and smelling slightly of hospitals.

“We’ve discussed this before, Jonas, you can’t go outside--“

“Yes,” Jonas interjected, “for my own safety. I know.”
He looked up at the odd couple standing awkwardly by the door. “Mr. and Mrs... Silverman...”

The woman looked up for the first time, her eyes suddenly hopeful. “Yes, that’s right. Please, can you tell me--“

“Yes, your daughter, missing and all that... are you sure she didn’t just run away?”

Mr. and Mrs. Silverman looked back at him, puzzled. “But...”

“I’m afraid, the good doctor lied to you, Mrs. Silverman, I don’t know where she is.”

“For God’s sake, Jonas,” the doctor yelled, “tell the truth for once in your life!”

Jonas bit his lip. How dare he... “Fine,” he spat, “fine! She’s dead, in the crawlspace under your house! Happy now? Should have really fixed the lock on that grating, Mr. Silverman!”
He turned his chair around and smiled. Behind him, he heard the woman had started to cry.
© Copyright 2014 Christophe Desmecht (cappinator at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1978245-Jonas