*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1979914-Little-Lad-You-Know-I-Love-You
Rated: 18+ · Fiction · Death · #1979914
A story of love, misunderstanding and death
Little Lad, You Know I Love You
3rd person limited


"Are you sure you don't mind Henry? I don't wanna be a burden on you and Louise."
"No, it's no problem Frank. Besides, it's only a couple of weeks, right?"
" No more then three, I give you my word. I just need to save enough money , to get a down payment on a one bedroom apartment. I work third shift, and I sleep during the day, so you'll hardly even know I'm here." Henry said, "Okay, you know where the spare bedroom is upstairs, right next to billy's. We are having spareribs tonight, and there will be plenty. Hope you're hungry."Frank picked up his tan duffelbag, and tapped his brother on the shoulder. "Thanks, and hell yeah, I'm starving."
"He noticed Billy playing a Super Mario videogame in his room, as he walked by. Frank peeked his head in. "Hey sport, how's it going?"Billy pushed the pause button, and dropped the controller on the floor, where he stood. "Uncle Frank" he yelled. The little lad ran over, and Frank crouched down with a hand extended."Slap me high", and Billy did. "Slap me low", and Billy missed. Frank said, "You're too slow, I get you every time" , and he shook the blonde hair on his head, messing it up. It only took a second or two before Billy had the controller back in his hand, and the Mario music was playing once again.The door to the spare room was already open, bed was neatly made, and in the corner was a rocking chair and a small, wooden end table. He placed his bag down, and sat on the bed. A head popped in, it was Louise.
"Well, hello Frank. Henry told me you were here. "Frank nodded.
"Yes, but like I told him, you won't even know I'm here."
"It's fine, Do you work tonight?", she asked.
" Yeah, I work three to eleven, except wednesday's and Saturday's."
"Okay, dinner will be ready in about a half an hour."
Frank gave birth to a big smile. " I look forward to that."
"Good" Louise said, and she left the room. He overheard her tell Billy, "Dinner soon."
Frank opened the window to the room, just to let some air in, and he placed his clothes in an empty dresser. He put his essentials like deodorant, toothbrush, razor and shaving cream on top. He felt relieved that he had a place to stay. For two days, he had been sleeping in his Ford truck, at a bus depot, so he figured after dinner, he would set an alarm and get a few hours in, on a comfy bed for a change. Frank could smell the ribs once he got halfway down the stairs, and Henry was sitting at a desk, sifting through some mail.
"That sure smells good Henry, just like mom used to make, huh?" Henry laughed.
"Don't tell my wife, but nothing compares to mom's cooking."
"How is mom anyway"? Frank asked.
"She's good, she has a new boyfriend she met at bingo. Nice guy. Not dad by any means, but he makes mom happy." Frank was hesitant to give a response. He didn't have a relationship with his father, the way Henry had, and he always wondered if his father touched Henry, the way he would touch him.
"Right", he said. "So how is work going?"
"Ehh- not bad, little slow lately, but hopefully it will pick up soon."
Frank said, "You would think bike sales would be up, being summer and all."
"Yeah well, kids seem to be more interested in I-phones, and computers these days."
"True. I didn't think of that."
Suddenly, Louise's voice spoke up from the kitchen. "Come and get it." Billy with his bionic ears, came flying down the stairs, blew past Frank and his father, sliding across mom's spic- n- span kitchen floor, and sat down. "Somebody's hungry", Frank said. Henry shook his head, as they made their way in. "When is that kid not hungry?" As soon as dinner concluded, Frank excused himself, went upstairs, and took his snooze.
Ten o'clock came fast, and his first thought upon awakening was, at least there's no wait for the bathroom. After a quick shower, brush of the teeth, and comb through the hair, he was left with enough time to grab a coffee from D and D, to make it to Scotthill Grocery, where he unloaded trucks, stacking the supplies on pallets with eight other guys, and they would procede to fill the shelves. The overnight's always seemed to go by fast for Frank. He liked that the boss would play rockin' music over the intercom, and he was always so busy, before he knew it, it was break time. The crew was allowed two fifteen minute breaks, and a half hour lunch. Frank would go outside with a couple other guys for a smoke on the fifteen's, and on the thirty he'd go out, after he ate and drank something from the vending machines provided. Breaks weren't the only thing that came fast. Before he knew it, two weeks had gone by and he needed to find a place.
He woke up, it was a wednesday. He would stay awake all night when he was off, so he could stay on track with his work schedule. He sat at the kitchen table, and was sipping a coffee he purchased from the country store, and was checking out the apartments in the classified's section, of the New York Post Gazette. With a red marker, he circled the one's that were in his price range. Henry strolled into the kitchen, smoking tobacco from a yellow corn cobbed pipe, and he sat across from Frank.
"Good Morning, find any good ones in there?"
" Yeah, a few I hope", Frank said. He looked at the clock on the microwave. "Six- thirty huh? I guess i'll start making calls around nine, and hopefully I can go check these out. I only have a week left."
"You know Frank, you can stay longer if you need to."
"Thanks, but I don't wanna take advantage. You guys have been a lifesaver for me though."
" It's really no problem. Take all the time you need.
"Frank nodded, and said "Okay." He began waving his hand in front of his nose. "Wow Henry, that pipe sure is ranchid, and I thought my cigarettes were bad." Henry laughed and said, "Sorry bout that, I was kicked out of the living room. Billy woke up early, he apparentely peed the bed again."
"Oh shit, that sucks", Frank said.
" Yeah, he says he had a bad dream, and that's why it happened."
"And what do you think Henry?"
"Honestly, I think it's just an excuse, so he doesn't get in trouble, seeing how he's eight years old, and of course his mother's in there, coddling him."
Frank responded, "Kids huh?"
"Well, I'm off to the bike shop, I'll see ya around five-thirty."
"I'll be here."
"Oh, by the way, good luck on you're search today."
"Thanks, good luck selling a bike today."
"Always a comedian, aren't ya?"
"You know me. I'll see ya later."
Frank got up, went out to the living room, and turned on the TV. Nothing was really on, as he kept flipping through channels. Finally, he found The Three Stooges, and left it there, since he knew he had a couple hours before he could start making calls. He sat back, folded his hands behind his head, and glanced in the direction of the stairs. He figured Louise must be upstairs, changing Billy's sheets. Without realizing it, he dozed off. While in a dream, he felt something touching him. He attempted to shrug it off. He suddenly saw a beautiful girl with stunning blonde hair, and ocean blue eyes, standing in front of him, where he was sitting on the couch. Her white summer dress was short, and she was motioning him with a hand to follow her. He tried to stand up, yet he was unable to move. She whispered his name over and over. "Fraaaank, Fraaaank. You know you want me handsome." With all the thought process he had, he did want her, and he really wanted to follow her, he just couldn't. Finally, she disappeared, and his eyes suddenly opened, and Louise was shaking his shoulder. "Hey Frank, it's eleven- thirty, why don't you go lay upstairs, where it's more comfortable." She said. " Besides, I have a friend stopping over soon." He jumped to his feet.
"Holy crap, eleven-thirty? I need to make calls to those landlords. I didn't mean to fall asleep."
"Well, apparently you needed it."
" Thanks for waking me, do you mind if I use the phone in the kitchen.? My cell needs minutes."
"Help yourself." He made two calls, and had to leave a voicemail on both, since nobody answered.
"Shit." The third one thankfully, was a go. The man said he was the son of the landlord, however he would be able to show him the apartment. "Can you meet me at 21 Savery street, in about an hour? Frank said, "Sure, no problem." He was so excited, he got there twenty-five minutes early. On the outside, it was an ugly green, but he was grateful, there was a parking lot, and he wouldn't have to leave his truck on the street. Across the way was a park, with swing's and a jungle gym, and also a baseball field, where the infield had faded, and grass had grown in over it. The best thing he thought, was his job was only five minutes away.
The son showed up, and Frank followed him in, and right away it had an pine clean smell to it. The living room was huge, with two big windows looking out to the park, and it was furnished with a brown leather couch, a beige recliner, and even a 27-inch cable ready television. The kitchen, bath and bedroom were small, but he didn't care too much about that. It was plenty for just himself. He explained to the guy that he would have the down payment, and first months rent in a week.
"Will you be able to hold it for me?"
"I'll have to talk to my dad. I'm not sure if anyone else has interest in the place, but if not, would you be able to give at least half of the deposit for us to hold it for you.?"
"Yes, absolutely-- no problem", he responded with confidence.
"Okay, I'll have my dad call you later."
Frank shook his hand, and thanked him for meeting him, and they both went their separate ways. Things seemed to be looking up for Frank, but what he didn't realize, is his luck was about to change.
Three nights later, in the receiving area, was a new standing pallet jack. Although the boss informed the crew, that the steering on it was the opposite of a normal fork truck, he figured it wouldn't be a problem and he accidentally crashed into a pallet of pickles, knocking half the supply on the floor. His boss ran over and saw pickles, yellow juice, and glass everywhere. "What are you a fucking idiot? Any idea how much money you just cost us? " "I didn't mean to do it Joe, I forgot that the steering was backwards." "Yeah, how about we forget to pay you this week, dumbass."
Dumbass. That name rang through his head, over and over, and as much as he wanted to thunder-punch his boss in the jugular, all it reminded him of was his father. Shut up dumbass! His father would call him that after slapping him dead across the face. He'd pick him back up by his shirt, and crack him across the opposite side as well, again slamming him to the floor, followed by kicks to the ribs. His father was a bad alcoholic, and seemed to enjoy taking his anger out on Frank. He never witnessed him do it to Henry, and he wondered why he was always the target. He would take Henry on weekend fishing trips, and he never included Frank. He asked his mother one day, "Why doesn't dad ever take me?" "He will Frank. Remember,Henry is four years older. You're time will come." However it never did. The beatings stopped once Frank was fifteen, due to his size. He never did forget what his father would do, after each beating. He would cover his mouth with a palm, so nobody heard him crying, and he'd whisper in his ear, "I'm so sorry Frankie, but you know I love you", and as he said it, he would cup Frankies privates, and squeeze them gently, and force him to sit there with his pants down, until he reached an orgasm. A feeling Frank to this day, was still unable to overcome. He moved out at sixteen, for he just couldn't look his father in the eyes. Three years later, his father was found dead, in an alleyway, outside of a bar. Dumbass. I ain't no dumbass, asshole, he whispered under his breath. This was not the time to chance losing his job. The next morning when the shift ended, he stopped at the package store, and bought a fifth of 'Southern Comfort.' He decided to drink the problem away. Besides, he was off again, so it didn't matter. In his dresser upstairs, he had a Harley-Davidson hip flask. At three- thirty he filled it, sat in his room in the rocking chair, with the door closed, and began swigging it. By four, he was refilling it, and by ten-thirty that night, he was hammered. He had told Louise and Henry earlier in the day, that he was feeling sick, and was going to just go to bed.
"Okay", they said. "You rest, we won't disturb you."
"Thanks guys."
At eleven o'clock, he decided to open his door, figuring it was safe since everyone was in bed. Thinking straight for him was not on the menu, his head was spinning, and while his memories of his father continued to disturb him, he began to hear mumbled voices. Then... footsteps. The hall light turned on, and he heard the exhaust fan noise from the bathroom, followed by the door closing. At first he thought nothing of it, yet after around twenty minutes, the door hadn't opened back up yet. He started to pace the floor. Man, I gotta go. What is taking so long?, he said out loud to himself. Frank stumbled, bumping into the hall walls, as he attempted to get to the bathroom door. As he walked by, he noticed Billy wasn't in his bed. He also saw through the flashing from the TV, that Louise was alone in the bed, wrapped up in a blanket. Why are they both in the bathroom? He didn't know why he didn't just knock, but something made him put an ear to the door. When he did, it was the worst Deja Vu of his life.
"Come on Little lad, just do it. You know I only do this because I love you. You're gonna feel much better after we do this." Frank's eyes widened with fear, just like they used to when his own father would touch him that way. He now realized, it wasn't only him it happened to. Henry was also a victim, as well. Yet now, he's traumatizing Billy, and Frank wasn't going to allow it. First, he backed away from the door, got in an old football stance, and was gonna crash through the door. Instead he decided to knock lightly. "Hey I really gotta go, you almost done in there." Suddenly he heard Henry whisper, "Shhhh, Well do this after." That was all he needed. He jerked back, and before he was able to turn the knob to the door, it swung open. Billy was pulling up his pajamas, and Frank saw a couple tears in his eyes.
"Hey Frank, I was helping Bil"- Frank cut him off.
"I know exactly what you were doing you son-of-a-bitch." He proceeded by charging Henry, put one hand on his throat, and the other was clutched to his shirt. As he pushed him back, he let go of his grip, and Henry slipped, fell and cracked his head on the edge of the tub. Blood immediately began to form a puddle, on the linoleum floor, as Henry lied there unconscious. Frank crouched down, and hugged his nephew.
"It's okay Henry, I'm here now. He won't ever do that again."
"Do what again?" as he cried out at the sight of his father. Frank was confused, and he thought the boy felt too ashamed to admit it. Louise rushed the scene, and she screamed.
"Oh my God, what happened?" Billy slipped past his Uncle, and ran to his mother's side.
"He killed daddy, mommy. Uncle Frank killed daddy."
"He was molesting Billy, Louise-- I was protecting him." It was like fire shot from her eyes.
"What are you talking about Frank?" she yelled.
"I came in the bathroom, and Billy was pulling up his pajamas, and had tears in his eyes.
"She said, "Billy is what he's saying true?" The little lad had no idea what the word molesting even meant. He was held frozen, and couldn't speak. She shook him by the shoulders. "Billy, answer me." Finally, he admitted it was true.
"Yes mommy, I was crying, and yes- I was pulling my pajamas up. Daddy put a diaper on me, to help me, so if I peed again, I wouldn't get the sheets wet."
"Why did you do this Frank. Didn't you ask him what he was doing?" Frank's words mumbled through his hands, that were covering his face.
"I didn't give him a chance to. I really thought he was touching him."
"Why would you think that?"
He yelled, "because my father used to molest me, and I always thought he did it to Henry too, but I was never sure. When I went to the door, Henry shooshed Billy, and when I saw his pants down, and tears in his eyes, I- I just reacted, and I was wrong."
"You're damn right you were wrong, and now my husband is dead because of you. I'm calling the
police Frank, don't you even move."
"I won't Louise, I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."
When police arrived, they arrested Frank right away, and put him in the back of a cruiser.
"Have you been drinking sir?" , the one officer asked while lowering his head to sit him down.
"Yes."
The cops searched in the spare room, and found the full flask of booze.
"This really doesn't look good for you now."
"I know, But I swear, it was a misunderstanding, and an accident."
"Explain it to the judge, in court. Do you always have accidents when you drink?"
"No."
To this day, he still has no idea what made him say it. Maybe it was the booze. When people get drunk, sometimes the truth just spurts out. He confessed...
He said, "I wasn't drunk when I killed my father--- Fifteen years ago."
© Copyright 2014 JustAdam40 (adamscarsdale at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1979914-Little-Lad-You-Know-I-Love-You