*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1980242-Beware-of-Malware
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest · #1980242
300-word story for Daily Flash Fiction Challenge using sentence "You can't prove a thing."
“Ahh, a little relaxation time with my laptop computer,” I said to myself as I turned it on.

Watching the usual dance of programs being loaded, I saw a quick flash of an internet address. “That’s unusual. The laptop has never done that before.” I muttered to myself. I noticed that the whole start-up process was rather slow.

“Robbie! Would you please come see me.” I called to my young teenage son.

I listened as his heavy footfalls clomped down the hallway toward my study.

“What?” Robbie asked in his usual sullen voice.

“Have you been on the laptop this afternoon?” I asked. “It is running a little slower than usual.”

He shrugged.

“Did you download something from the internet again?” I asked as my eyes flitted back and forth from the computer to screen to Robbie’s face.

Again, a non-communicative shrug.

“Oh Robbie, I have told you how many times now NOT to do that. There is malicious software that can piggyback on to what you are downloading even if you think it is coming from a safe website. It infects the equipment and makes the computer run slower and slower.”

“You can’t prove a thing!” He spat out his comment retreating to the sanctuary of his room.

“Not so fast there, my boy. There are always consequences for the choices you make. I checked the download folder. I found the program crazygirls.com which was downloaded at 4 p.m. – 10 minutes after you arrived home from school. You are so busted as well as grounded for the next week without computer access.” I finished my verdict.

“That’s not fair!” He wailed back.

“I never said life was fair. You break the rules, get caught, the punishment stands.” I said quietly.


word count: 300
© Copyright 2014 GaelicQueen (gaelicqueen at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1980242-Beware-of-Malware