*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1980838-Chapter-one-unrevised-un-finished
by ~Bree~
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1980838
Set up to find love in a rich man; however, something lies in the shadows of his friend.
"If I had known...I would not have consented. I would have kept some of humanities secrets to myself...I know a strong soul is allotted a second chance...but whats more than that, I do not yet know...has the last soft petal slipped from the flower? And if so what is left? And even so, if there is Heaven and Hell, shall I be taken to the pit...for stripping the flower of some petals?"

"Quit fussing, it's not helping in the least; besides, this is all for you, so be grateful."
Elizabeth, whom stood barefoot in leggings and a plain white t-shirt, scolded her older sister. A defined young woman, seventeen years of age, with beautiful features such as large blue eyes, soft pink lips, and her mothers porcelain skin, held a certain acquired patience while attending to her sister's appearance for special occasions. "If you keep fidgeting you're going to bump the curling iron and either you or I will be burned. I don't know why you object; when your hair is in curls, it quite complements your features. I wish I could curl my hair, but with it being hip-length, I think leaving it strait is the better alternative."
Alex rolled her eyes. "Like my hair being just short of elbow length is much better."
"Yes, but it actually does hold your curls well; my hair will not hold, so
I am left with my beautiful, smooth, strait hair."
"You pride yourself far too much on your appearance, and find appearance to       
be the utmost importance, rather than intelligence. I suppose, unfortunately, that the world assumed this as well; of course men have it harder, they must have both appearance and intelligence. For out of intelligence come greater sums of money, and out of appearance come the greater connections of the world." Alex sighed. "And yet in this day and age, certain families still keep the earlier traditions."
"And why should that bother you if you are as pleasing in appearance as I, come
from a great, wealthy family, and plan to marry into one?"
Alex made no reply, only observed herself and her sister's appearance in the mirror
(not reflecting the dim room, the white walls with random designs drawn upon them, or the queen size bed behind with curvy wooden posts and carved head board, and silky black bedding made neat) as her sister put the curling iron down, placed her hands on her hips and joined her in her observation. Alex stood an inch shorter than her sisters 5'7" and equally as thin. Both were currently dressed in similar garments, along with both having their face powdered, eyes defined with dark brown eyeliner, mascara, and light pink lip gloss. Both had very defined features, and equally as fine; as Elizabeth's eyes were wider, yet, Alex's held as much beauty being an uncommon green of color and shape which always gained many complements. Both their hair was brown, only Alex's was much darker, rendering her skin tone colorless. Their was a great family resemblance, they both noted they were reflections of their parents and their true grandparents. Elizabeth more the reflection of her mother, and Alex, her fathers.
"Well!" Elizabeth turned for the door. "Get dressed we leave shortly." Then she
was out.
Alex walked across the soft beige yarn carpet to her closet, opened the dark stained
wood doors, which were decorated with carvings of fine roses, a leaf attached to the thorny stems, to find her clothes for the evening. She zipped her white corset up, this item replacing the previous shirt, then slipped into her baby powder blue, knee length dress, shoulders uncovered but two inch straps curved to the end of her shoulders. It had a tight top, but smoothed out soft and flowing, keeping close to the body. She slipped into her plain black flats; then stepping to her desk she pulled some jewelry from the drawer, placed two black and sliver bracelets on her left arm, and a silver chain adorned with a black spiral charm around her neck.
The reflection of her appearance pleased her, slightly. She took her black wrap from
her closet, pulling it around her arms; its ends fell loosely down front, swaying as she moved to the door, through the hall and down the wooden spiral stairs to meet her smiling family. After glancing around the banal entrance room (only a few family pictures hung on the wall and a bookshelf with a dying plant resting on it) Alex joined the party of three, noting her father in his black suit and red tie, her mother in her her red evening dress (which was like her own, only instead was longer with a halter top and matching red jacket), red strapped heals, white pearls and near flashy makeup; her sister in a simple light pink dress (again similar to her own with only the exception it covered her shoulders with spaghetti straps), she too had a wrap, only cream colored, and her flats matching. "We make quite the picture." Alex thought to herself. "Picturing this a few years ago would be a comedy." A blurred image came to mind: Mother (who was at this time blond) stumbling through a small messy hall, bottle in hand and her top not covering more than half what it was meant for. Mother raised the bottle, pouring the last of a black colored liquid in her mouth, then dropping the glass into a shattered mess upon the floor. Mother sank down next to it. "Where is my drink?! Where's you put it you nasty--" -- Alex's eyes snapped up to the group. Her mother scowled. "Your father is speaking to you." Her voice holding an edge. Alex's eyes then turned to her father.
"I was saying," John DeVore cleared his throat, stroking is groomed               
beard as he organized his thoughts. "That if one of the young gentlemen who join us for dinner finds an interest in you, my dear Alexandria, I quite approve. These young handsome businessmen I've had the pleasure of working with have shown me they are hard working well-worth businessmen and amiable gentlemen. They wish to meet us all for dinner tonight so we may be acquainted better; and if that leads to gaining a charming young son with an income of $100,000+ yearly, then who are we to complain, right? Right!"
Alex blushed. Not that it was unheard of for an eligible nineteen year old young 
women such as herself to find a young man to be joined with, but at the idea that she might face that idea. She herself had never had any relationship with any boy besides acquaintance. Now her father spoke and hoped as if to give her away tonight; though, money would be a great influence for him. Having a rich son-in-law would mean more money at his disposal, along with better connections.
Checking his silver wrist-watch, Mr.DeVore hurried his family into their sleek black
personal limo; once everyone made it in, they were off. Within an hour they pulled up to a bridge; the vehicle came to a soft rolling stop, the driver came swiftly around to open the door for his master. John stepped out into the warm star-lit evening first, straitening his
jacket, then the valet helped Mrs.DeVore out, followed by youngest, then eldest daughter.
Overwhelming to take everything in, it was difficult to decide which sense to
indulge first. A great ship elegantly decorated and lit for its guests to enjoy
a high class evening floating in dark water, glittering as its waves reflect the full moon. The comely aromas of choice cuisine integrating a touch of ocean salt; or a sound of violins and soft guitar mingling with the splash of the sea, creating a charming calm atmosphere. Having the privilege to dine in this fine restaurant granted flattery to all its guests; for, the holder only welcomed an exiguous number of persons, moreover, only a few parties joined the evening cruise.
All straitened up, a near skip in his step, Mr.Devore stepped forward leading         
his family up the bridge to meet with the first of the party they would be acquainted this evening. This was a gentleman about the age thirty-six, thin, short dark brown combed hair, and blue eyes contrasting his light tan skin; he dressed in a dark green tweed suit and glossy black shoes. Welcoming them kindly, he shook Mr.Devore's hand, "Hello Mr.DeVore, glad you could make it; along with your charming family." A slight bow to the three ladies following. His voice sounded overly proper.
"Thank you for coming as well. I'm glad to see you've returned from the sunny
side of the world; would you be here only on a business visit?"
"Yes. I do have to return to my wife soon; she hates when I'm gone long,
I'm sure you understand." Mr.Bowen's voice was rather proper.
Mr.DeVore nodded. "Shall we go meet the others."
Mr.Bowen gestured an arm for them to proceed; he took the lead guiding
them around the deck through the glass doors labeled in pale gray cursive vynl "Dinning Room" to the main dinning room.
Elaborate diamond and crystal chandeliers hung bright from a vaulted cream
  ceiling claiming eyes first attention; then leading down walls with a few large windows looking out to the deck, sea, and moon; the walls being cream as well, except a few dark red accent walls excellently placed, the floor all dark hard-wood taken care of to the extreme of having not a single scuff mark in all its decades. Four large circular tables, covered in fine-knitted white cloth and set with several sets of satin wrapped silverware and wine glasses, were well separated about the room. The previous aroma of choice food held stronger in here, as the kitchen was behind the red door in the corner, labeled "KITCHEN".
Two tables were seated with guests, a third had a few members of the party the
DeVore's would be joining, seated. The three guests seated at the third table stood upon the sight of the DeVore's arrival; a taller (about three inches taller than Alex), lightly tanned woman with bright blond hair pulled tight in a bun, crystal blue eyes behind thin-framed glasses, wore a black pencil skirt, a puffy soft blue blouse, and black flats along with her tight composure, not sparing but a half smile. To the left was a charming young man around 23 years of age, pale, obviously not having spent much time in the sun like his friends, with golden half-locks, crystal blue eyes, a sunny smile, and dressed in a handsome black suit.
    Mr.DeVore had made his way to the table, having shaken the previous lady's hand, introducing her to his family as Miss Bell, Mr.Bell's sister and business associate, now shook Mr.Bell's hand. He introduced his family to Mr.Bell at this moment, and bringing forth Alex as a highlighted prize; Mr.Bell bowed slight, took her hand and kissed the top as a gentlemen, then proceeded with a soft voice. "A pleasure Miss Alexandria; you're as fair as your father has mentioned, and I hope just as pleasant." He stood erect. "As you have come to me, the greetings have come to a halt; I see you have met Bowen, but to my right is my charming business partner and closest friend, Mr.Edgar."
      Mr.Edgar, looking to be a similar age as his friend, had short spiked white hair with tints of dark blue streaks (unusual for a businessman to have such) a pale, almost gray complexion in which only Alex's eye caught a hidden rough texture in it; his eyes were hazel green highlighted by light eyelashes and eyebrows, he wore a dark blue suit and nice black shoes though they weren't glossy. His body shape was thin and muscular like his friend before him, only  more toned and slightly more built. He stood even straighter and taller (being five inches taller than Mr.Bell's 6'1). He had an authoritative air about him, yet relaxed all the same, and was still very quiet. He bowed slightly to the DeVore's, "Mr.DeVore it's always a pleasure, and to your family I extend the same gratitude." He stepped around the table; Miss Bell seated herself.
"Thank you for joining us tonight." Mr.Bell held the seat for Mrs.DeVore, and 
tucked her to the table, then did the same for Elizabeth, whom flushed pink, as Mr.Edgar did the same for the nervous Alex. Mr.Edgar took his seat next to Alex, and Mr.Bell took his seat between Miss Bell and Mr.Edgar; the table gave them all arm room, yet still let them know they had neighbors. Mr.Bell continued. "I have been very excited to meet you all; I hope you pardon that most of the company attending with me is both family and business associates. Any of my family not attending is out of state and unable to come to town for a visit."
"No it's fine; we all are excited to join you for dinner and hope to know you and     
your friends better before leaving. Yes?" Mr. DeVore, in a polite tone he would attempt to continue using the rest of the evening.
    "Yes! Indeed!" Mr. Bell was enthusiastic.
A thin, short waitress, groomed perfect with her brown hair pulled so tightly       
back it pulled at the pores of her forehead, and her black slacks, white blouse, and black half apron seeming to be freshly ironed, came around with glasses of water and classy colorful menus for everyone. Batting her dark lashes and big brown eyes at Mr.Bell and Mr.Edgar, she reluctantly handed the last menu to Miss Bell. "I will be with you shortly to take your orders." The flirty waitress went to check on the next table.
Everyone took up the menu and examined its large variety of food and drink;     
it was a wonder to everyone that the kitchen could keep a fresh stock of everything considering so few guests were accepted aboard. "Do you come often?" Mr. DeVore spoke to Mr.Bell.
        "I have been invited a handful and taken the opportunities, yes. Everything that I have tasted, I have quite enjoyed; however, I'm not overly picky as some others may be."
Mr. DeVore laughed. "The only overly picky one on my side would be Alexandria; she would starve if we ran in short supply of the food she chooses, not that I may make the remark as a blemish against her, only that if ever you take her to dinner you might choose the restaurant wisely."
Alex blushed at the blunt comment then sighed; she really wasn't that picky, she
simply had a few items she didn't care for; and how could her father make such a direct comment to Mr.Bell! At the moment, however, her attention was consumed by Mr.Bell's fantastic smile and charming laugh. Mr.Bell then turned to Alex, at this point she flitted pink, glanced away and back to catch his nod, pleasant smile, and "I'm sure I will take this in consideration, if only I and she were to discuss, first her likes and dislikes."
        "Of course, you shall have plenty of time to speak with her; you and your guests are always welcome over as well, the company would be much enjoyed."
        Mr.Bell returned a grateful nod; beginning to speak, he was cut off by the returning waitress. "What may I serve you tonight?" She started with Bowen and went around the table to Mr.DeVore, Mrs.DeVore, the girls, Mr.Edgar and Mr.Bell with enthusiasm, and once more reluctantly back to Miss Bell. She collected the menus and returned with a pitcher to refill water, and wine for Mr. and Mrs. DeVore, Mr.Edgar and Miss Bell. "Your food will be out shortly." She stepped away.
    Appetizers were brought to the table accompanied by small plates for each person to serve themselves. The golden brown onion rings came out on a white decorated platter, as all the food did, but they smelled off somehow...still like an onion ring but somehow a more bland scent which came as a surprise when they tasted them and in fact it tasted better than any other onion rings anywhere else. All the food was wonderful, the chicken noodle soup and salad and even the Entrees being from baked fish to saucy pasta. No one had a single complaint throughout the duration of the meal; however, there was steady conversation, aside from the silence of Mr.Edgar and Miss.Bell.
    Alex tried to keep as silent and unobserved as possible, yet she was still the prize of the night and therefore put on shining display. Every time comments were thrown in her direction causing her to blush, she noticed reactions from her company, though primarily from Mr.Edgar as his firm light pink lips curved in a slight almost smirk and his white lashes batted over his rolling eyes.
    At this rate dinner dragged on forever; Alex was antsy, she didn't enjoy mixed tension that focused on her.
    It came with a sigh of relief when Mr.Bell announced that everyone should stretch their legs and enjoy the beautiful ship in their allotted time. Each person stood and wandered off, Mr. DeVore, his wife and youngest daughter speaking with Mr. Bowen.  Miss Bell left to powder her nose; then their was Mr.Bell and Mr.Edgar, whom the second wandered to the deck alone, and the first came to take Alex's hand, and guide her with a sweet smile, to the deck at the ship's edge. They both looked over the polished rail looking into the splashing waves, seeing their dark outlines with balls of reflecting light around them.
    "You really are beautiful."
    "Thank you Mr.Bell...You look very nice as well." Alex blushed red as she glanced down then back up after speaking; she almost had a hard time getting the soft words out.
    "Charles will do." He replied with a kind smile.
    Alex nodded, obviously flattered.
    "Are you enjoying your evening?"
    "This is a very nice place."
    "I hope not to sound forward but the reason I chose this place is somewhat because I have heard much about you and even if it hadn't been true and I disliked you, it would be appropriate for me to treat a young lady to a nice dinner."
    "Oh...How gentlemen like of you?"
    "It is proper."
    "It is."
    "So may I ask what food do you like, then?"
    "I'm not as picky as they portray me."
    "Weather you are or are not, I am inclined to take you to dinner where ever you prefer. Regardless of distance or cost." Mr. Bell smiled charming.
    "Oh! That's very kind of you..." She wasn't sure what to say next, especially as she lost all trains of thought in his smile.
    Charles chuckled, admiring her adorable shyness. "Perhaps I shall surprise you yes?"
    "If you would like."
    "I hope I'm not making you uncomfortable...Simply I admire you and would like to come to know you." An almost worried look came across his angelic face.   
"No! I'm not uncomfortable...I'm sorry...I'm kinda shy...It's kind of lame I know..." She looked down.
    He touched lightly under her chin, pulled her face up with a smile. "I kinda like shy...It's so much sweeter than the outright loud over confidence."
    Alex blushed even more, wanting to pull her face down but his hand was still there. Instead she smiled gently, him returning the same.
    A voice, almost familiar, but not overly so to Alex's ears came from behind her and her companion. "Miss Bell is feeling ill and was in hopes that you may take her home." Mr. Edgar...His voice was deep, polite, but there was a playful undertone in it. He stood erect with his hands behind his back.
    "Oh my!" Charles gave Alex a wistful look. "I do need to take her home."
    "Yes." Alex returned.
    "Don't worry Charles..." Mr.Edgar spoke. "I may not be much company; however, I would be glad to entertain you until he returns." He spoke kindly to Alex.
    "May we continue our conversation when I return?" Charle's soft voice awaited a favorable answer.
    "Of course." She returned.
    One more smile before he swiftly disappeared.
    Mr.Edgar smiled kindly as he stepped up next to her.
    Alex nodded. She took in a small breath, noticing she had been holding it while speaking with Charles; the new scent that mingled with all the sea salt air and delicious food aromas was one somehow more pleasant, more comfortable...It was Mr. Edgar's scent, but not just one that of cologne.
    "My apologies for ruining your moment...It was important to get Miss Bell home." His voice was polite, quiet, but still held that playful undertone.
    "Not at all...It wasn't a moment..." She returned bashful.
    Mr.Edgar chuckled. "It looked like one." He winked. He looked back out to the splashing waters. "I love that sound..."
    "Of the music? Or the water?"
    "Water of course," a gentle sweet smile covered his lips. "the music is lovely and all, but doesn't top the sound of waves."
    "I would have to agree."
    "You are very quiet."
    "So are you."
    "See, but I'm the one keeping up most of this conversation; even if it is just starting."
    "I don't have much to say to people I don't know." She continued with a slight confidence in her voice. "Neither do you. You had nothing to say during dinner."
    "And yet I'm speaking to you now."
    "Yes...But why?"
    "I told Charles I would keep you company; that way, you don't get bored and disappear."
    "I wont disappear. It's unnecessary for you to stay chatting with me if it's not your preference." She spoke quieter, looking away.
    "What if it is my preference?" His smile was contagious for Alex.
    "Then stay speaking with me." Her words were warm as her smile.
    "Only for a moment. Charles will be returning soon to reunite your company."
    "Oh..." She felt uncertain. Though her match was supposed to be Charles, Mr.Edgar's company was somehow far more comfortable and quite frankly intriguing despite the lack of communication between the two this evening.
    "So what do you like to do in your free time?"
    Alex thought for a moment. "Well...I shouldn't, but I wander a lot. I'm sure there are better things to do; however, nothing I would enjoy or anyone to spend time with doing it. Yourself? Or are you too busy with work?"
    "I have lots of time. I generally spend most of it 'adventuring' if that's what you would call it. I'm intrigued by the world, finding new places and new things to try."
    "Really? What is your favorite place you have been thus far?" Interested.
    "I don't really have a favorite; they are all unique and interesting in their own ways. I do prefer places with ocean and forest, rain...Oregon is a good example."
    "That's really cool. I would like to travel...Maybe at some point in my life yeah?" Alex smiled.
    "Maybe I'll bring you along sometime...as long as you aren't to faint of heart that is. I get into some interesting situations."
    "Trust me. I'm in the very least of faint hearts." An almost unpleasant look crossed Alex's mind making Mr. Edgar curious as to what she could possibly by thinking.
    Something that she has endured most likely. Something unpleasant... He thought.
    "Anyways..." Alex looked to shift topics.
    "Anyways?"
    "Yes."
    "That's not really a response worth a response, nor does it strike up any particular conversation. It's more a filler word as not to drop a conversation into an uncomfortable silence, yet still leaves an empty feeling of uncertainty in all parties of the conversation...as like I said, it leads to nowhere."
    Alex wasn't sure how to respond. "Um..."
    "Another filler word...only one that gives a person a second to gather their thoughts." Mr.Edgar smiled. "I'm only teasing. I figure it's something to get the brain moving, though I guess it only creates more cognitive thought for myself and blockage and confusion for others yes?"
    "I guess it simply depends on the person. I follow you...I just don't overly have much to say to the matters as your comments are just as rhetorical as you claim mine may be."
    Mr.Edgar chuckled. "Very true." He lifted a brow. "Very true."
    "And now to a more interesting conversation?"
    "Are you calling me boring!" Mr.Edgar teased.
    "Not at all." Alex flushed. "Only that it feels like our conversation is coming to a pothole...a moment much like that uncomfortable drop of conversation you mentioned..."
"Hm. No. Now...I hope to be in contact with you soon." Mr.Edgar spoke kindly; his pleasant facial expression changing to a less excited tone. "I do have to leave you to Charles now. I heard his Camero pull in followed by the click of his car door opening then shutting."
    "Oh...Well then...Have pleasant evening." Alex gave a cheery smile.
    Mr.Edgar stepped back, slightly bowed in respect as a gentlemen; as he straitened up Mr.Bell reappeared behind him, a jolly smile upon his features. "Thank you Mr.Edgar!" Mr.Edgar nodded before leaving Charles to visit with Alex.
    "I do apologize for that!" Charles.
    "It was fine...Is your sister well?"
    "She will be fine; she just needs a little rest, that's all." Charles continued. "I do hope that Mr. Edgar kept you decent company...He only really speaks with strangers on necessary occasion."
    "He was good company."
    "Good!" Charles smiled. "I know it's hard for him to speak up, he's shy...and sometimes I wonder if he was the same before the war..."
    Alex frowned. "War?"
    "Where he and I met. We both served short terms in the military before attending business school, college and all that...he saved my life a time or two; taking a bullet on my behalf for one example. He's a good man."
    "Oh my!"
    "Yes indeed. He was the best of the best...yet never accepted recognition for it."
    "Why so?" Curious.
    "I don't know. Just how he is. Very crafty though; he always surprises us"
    "Well good for him I suppose."
    "Yes...I was wondering..."
    "What's that?"
    "May I invite you to a dinner party I am hosting this Friday? Your family too of course. It's a small group of friends...We eat, dance, tell stories, just enjoy each others company."
    "Oh! Sure..."
    "Good! I shall send someone about four o' clock to chauffeur; would that be okay?"
    "It would." Alex smiled reassuringly.
    "Wonderful. The evening will be far more pleasant with your bright smile lighting it."
    Cheesy. Alex thought. But charming enough. "I am excited to join you then."
    "May I ask what color dress you are to wear?"
    "Um..." Alex thought. "I am unsure..."
    "May I give my opinion?"
    "Of course!"
    "I would like to see you in purple?"
    "I can try." Alex smiled.
    "Lovely! I shall have the loveliest guest of us all!"
    Alex blushed. "Perhaps you shall. And who is to be coming to get us?"
    "Most likely my good friend Mr. Edgar if you don't mind..."
    "No, I don't mind at all."
    "Then it is set! If were lucky I can get him to stick around and chat and dance...now that would be a sight to see!"
    Alex giggled at the mental image. "Yes. Indeed!"
    A call across the deck from Alex's father ended the conversation. Smiling warmly Charles took Alex by the arm, guiding her gently to the limo. Before shutting the door after her he kissed her hand and helped her get seated. The DeVore's drove away, and Charles stood smiling.
    "Gorgeous girl." Surprise flitted only for a second upon Charles' face as he realized Mr. Edgar stood behind him.
    "Indeed! And I have invited her to the party...I was in hopes that as I have guests to entertain, you might pick her and her family up?"
    "As you wish my good friend." Mr. Edgar smiled and nodded.

    "It is so wonderful you made it!" Charles' smiling lips kissed the back of Alex's soft pale hand.
    Alex blushed, glancing out into the glittering waters, up at the bright full moon, taking in a breath with the fullness of fresh air; then returning her defined eyes, she examined Charles and complemented him on his black suit and combed locks. His appearance was just as elegant and simple as the small balcony they stood upon. Hard wood floor above an extravegant back yard opening up to a wooded lake; the only thing seperating them and the scenery being carefully crafted black iron swirls of a gaurd railing.
    "Well, I have to look good for a beautiful young woman such as yourself don't I? Otherwise I might scare her away!"
    Smiling. "I doubt that you could scare any woman away." Blushing furthermore she continued, "I mean, I didn't mean it like that, only that you don't look rough enough...or rather-"
    "Shhhh." He lay a finger upon her lips while a smile flirted on his. His bright ocean-like eyes looked into hers; he stepped closer, warm breath danced on her ears as he whispered, "I understand."
    He could almost feel Alex's heart beat,it was so loud, her skin was bright and warm as his finger fell from her lips to under her chin where it was lifted. He breathed softly, his breath like spearamint, sweet and alluring. Alex shook a little, her breath a little choppy. Everything seemed a little fuzzy, or is it just the lack of oxygen getting to the brain from my short breaths... The moment seemed to drag on forever, barely seeing yet still being entranced by his overwhelming eyes, his cool soft skin. Ever so close yet an uncomfortable feeling kept their lips apart. Slowly they pulled  away and their eyes flicked away.
    "I'm sorry..." Charles spoke quiet.
    "Don't be...It's okay." Alex blushed.
    A smile upon his lips, "Same. Shall we dance?"
    Alex nodded joining Charles by hand into the bright elegant ball room. So many guests twirled in their formal wear to the sound of a band playing a classical take on a recent love song. A twirl herself, and then joining one of her hands with Charles, she placed the other on his neck as he placed his on the purple fabric over her waist. Their hips bobbed with the tune as they made small talk on the beautiful simplisity of the room till at last Elizabeth courtsied before them asking if she might have the next dance. "Of Course!" Charles replied. "I shall return to you soon my dear!" He winked at Alex as she stepped back.
    A moment of music swept her sister and Charles away as she shifted uncomfortably. What now? She further examined the room, looking up the grand white stairs with similar railing as the balcony had, up to the next floor where a Mr. Edgar quietly stepped from the above guard rail and slipped into a quiet room.
    A smile curved Alex's lips; she slowly made her way up the stairs and slipped into that very same room Mr. Edgar had; she shut the door so very gently behind her. It was dark aside from the fire glimmering against the its surrounding objects including the handsome Edgar yet warm and comfortable.
    "Nice of you to join me." Mr. Edgar sat in a hard wood chair by an extravagant fireplace. "Care to join me?" he motioned to a chair across from him, reflecting the warmth of the fireplace.
    Alex smiled warmly, hesitantly stepping over and seating herself. "Why are you hiding?"
    "I call it more enjoying my evening."
    "You don't like all the company?"
    "It can be okay...but not for extended periods of time." His smile, so inviting, showed a playful twist in his personality. "Besides, I wouldn't be engaging in this lovely conversation with you now if we were down stairs now would I?"
    "You don't know that. You could have been." Alex reasured him.
    "But it might not be as comfortable as it is now."
    "Or far more comfortable?"
    "Alex?"
    "Yes?" She blushed. Her name was sweeter when it rolled off his pretty lips.
    "You visit an alley to relax...that's my relaxing place too"
    Alex went pale. "Wait...you?" She was very confused.
    "I'd love to spend some time with you in a relaxed manner... Meet me tomorrow?"
    She couldn't say no to such an invitation especially to such an alluring gentlemen; yet she was confused and also slightly frightened. How did he know I hang out there? How is that his place to relax too? Wha--? I--- "I would love to show you something...new..."
    "I am not sure what you mean..." Alex hesitated. "It's an alley...I am worried" Short breaths caused her to sound a little winded. Anxiety.
    "What if I said I was magic?" Edgar winked.
    Attraction was suddenly lost. Alex was a realistic girl. "Then I'm affraid we have nothing further to discus." She spoke firm.
    Edgar stood, stepped closer, took her hand pulling her to her feet. He looked her in the eye as he kissed the top of her hand. His sweet scent drifted to Alex's nose, but didn't stop there; a shiver shook her spine and knees, and her breath came short, but not from anxiety. "Hold still." The warm whisper sent shivers down her spine once again.
    Cold over took her senses, and his; their skin faded dark, their clothes too, till they looked like intertwined standing shadows. The dark figures began to sink into the floor then shrink from the floor till the dark spot was gone.

    On shadowed fine grains of sand a dark spot grew, not only outward, but upward, into the two interwind standing shadows who soon were occompanied with defined color, shape, and warmth once again.
    Alex slowly let go of Edgar, her breathing accelerated as she took in the cozy air, swooshing and sloshing sounds of the waves, the starry night sky holding a bright full moon, the salty scent mingling with that of plant life, the sand moving beneath her feet. "What? What?"
    "I love the beach. It its self is quite magical!" He stepped softly toward the waters, kneeling down and catching a small rivet of the tide coming in. He stood, held it before the stunned Alex whom caught the moon and their shadowy reflections in its reflections.
    "What are you?" Stunned.
    His smile wavered for only a seconed and returned in full. "Magic." He repeated softly. "Hold your hands out together, tightly." She did so and he gently let the cool clear water slip through his fingers into her hands. He pulled from his suit pocket a small clear cylinder glass bottle; held it at the tips of her fingers and began to tip her hands with his other hand, the water poured slowly into the bottle. Leaning over, then returning erect, he let a pinch of sand settle to the bottom of the bottle and capped it with a fitting cork. "Here." He put it in her hands. "Its a little bit of magic you can keep with you."
    Alex didn't know what to do. Her emotions were as a chomeleon as were her thoughts. Edgar only waited till her eyes drew to his. He held her hands in his wearing a reasurring smile. It took a long quiet moment before a slight smile showed upon her soft lips. "Magic? This is crazy... Why are you showing me this?"
    He leaned close to her, whispering, "Maybe I see your soul is compatible with magic..." They began to turn dark and fade into the ground once again.
    They were back in that quiet dark room. Alex stepped back, gazing in his eyes. "Compatible? You will show me more?"
    Edgar grinned. "We must return to the party. We wouldn't want any suspicions arising would we?" He pulled her toward the door. "Also, I am inclined to ask you to dance. You're grace must extend to the ball room!"
© Copyright 2014 ~Bree~ (bree01313 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1980838-Chapter-one-unrevised-un-finished