*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1980851-The-Worlds-Twilight---Chapter-2
Rated: E · Novel · Action/Adventure · #1980851
The second chapter of fmy first novel for the Aesir Trilogy
He stepped out into the cold night air, a fresh breeze pulled and tugged at his long, unkempt red hair as it fell in long tangles over his shoulders. Even the pale moonlight hurt his eyes, which wasn't too surprising, as he had been confined within the dark bowls of the earth for longer than he cared to remember. Loki could feel the coolness of the air as it brushed against the rawness of his wounds, but he forced himself to continue. He cautiously made his way down from the mouth of the cave and along the wastes, which was all that remained of the glacier that had covered the entire area until a few hours before. He followed the black volcanic rocks, which had had formed while the volcano emptied its bowls. He kept walking in the hope of finding his way to somewhere were he could shelter and figure out what he was to do next.

He desperately needed food and drink, as well as to find something to keep himself warm as the rags that covered him. He knew that he would freeze before long if he didn't find somewhere, but he could not go back into that cave, not after everything that he had been through. He forced himself to keep moving through the empty, moonlit landscape, even though he had no idea of the direction he was moving. Loki knew that he couldn’t allow himself to be found exposed as he was, in a landscape that he didn’t know or understand, even if it was only by the Midgardian authorities who he knew wouldn't be able to hold him for any length of time. From what he could remember, the people of this realm called it Earth. That still wasn't a risk that he was willing to take. He kept playing over what had happened in his mind, all in the hope of understanding what had led to him gaining freedom. He knew that what had taken place wasn't his own doing and it certainly wasn't the work of any of the Aesir, who were determined that he was to remain where he was bound and tortured until the coming of Ragnarok for what he had done, for bringing about the death of one of their own.  The motives of those who had freed him were as mysterious as who they were, which did not make him feel comfortable about what had taken place, or what may lay before him. It seemed so long ago that the Aesir had been worshipped as gods by some of the people of this realm, himself included, which only highlighted how far he had fallen.

As he stumbled through the landscape, Loki could feel his body beginning to go numb with the cold, as the biting wind was relentless. His ears rang with the silence that surrounded him, until a distant roar suddenly forced him to look up as look in the direction from which the sound was coming from. It was then that he noticed two small, but strangely bright lights that were travelling towards him at an unnatural pace. Tapping into his dwindling reserves of strength, he forced himself to shift and making himself appear at a height that would allow him to go somewhat unnoticed among the Midgardians, even though he knew that was still taller than most. As he watched the lights approach, he raised his hand to his eyes in the hope of shielding his gaze from the unnatural glare of the light. He could now see that the lights were emanating from a couple of points on the front of a four wheeled chariot that was being drawn by a force that was invisible to his eyes. Without warning, it came to a sudden halt a few meters from where he was standing, which allowed two figures to appear from within its metal frame. Despite the lack of light, it was obvious that it was a man and a woman, both of whom rushed towards him. As they did so, the woman said something to him, but no matter how hard she tried, whatever it was that she was trying to say to him was beyond his comprehension. The confusion that he felt must have shown on his face, as she stopped speaking and turned to her companion, who took it as his cue to try.

“Are you all right? What the hell happened to you?” the man asked, as he translated what his companion had already asked him. Even though Loki found the way that the man spoke to be strange, he could still understand what he was saying even though he had to force himself to concentrate in order to do so.

“I’m injured and I don’t know where I am, or how I got here. I haven’t had anything to eat or drink for since, I can’t remember. I’m cold” Loki replied as he took a few tentative steps towards them and tried to look as helpless as he possibly could.

The man turned and said something to the woman in what seemed to be the language that she spoke. Listening carefully, Loki tried to pick out some basic words in the hope of being able to understand at least something of what was being said. Once they had both finished with what they had to say, she turned, and made her way back into the chariot and opened another door, before she began to rummage through a number of items that littered the interior of the carriage itself. As she did this, the man tentatively approached, unsure of the kind of man that had appeared out of nowhere on the middle of a glacier, half naked and appearing to lack any kind of identity. After a couple of moments, the woman reappeared with a number of blankets and made her way towards where they both stood.

“Wrap these blankets around you. They will keep off the worst of the cold until we can get you back to the compound. My name is Magnus Ericsson and this is Dr Catriona Thornton. And you are?” Loki was informed as he slowly wrapped himself in the blankets that he was being given.

“I can’t remember. All I remember is being here and that I somehow had sustained these injuries” Loki lied.

“Right, you’ll have to come with us and we’ll make sure that you get something to eat and drink, as well as getting you some clothes and a shower. No offence, but God, you do stink. I would ask you when you last had a bath, but you probably won't be able to remember. If you get into the back of the car, maybe you will start to remember some thing’s once we have you sorted out. Well, physically at least. You do look like you need a decent meal and some sleep” Magnus told him as they made their way back to what Loki guessed was what he was referring to as the car.

Carefully making sure that the blankets were still in place, Loki slide himself into the back of the car as his new companions took their seats in the front. From where he sat, he was able to watch Magnus as he turned something which allowed the car to roar back into life. Out of sheer curiosity, Loki found that he couldn't stop himself from watching what Magnus was doing. The little that he could see, he was able to make out that the car was controlled by a number of foot pedals, as well as a simple wheel that seemed to control the direction in which they travelled. This was a sort of magic that Loki had never come across in the entirety of his long life. When he found that he was able to tear his attention away from how the vehicle was controlled, he turned his attention to the world that they were passing through, Loki took a mental note of what landmarks that he could make out through the gloom. It was always a possibility that he would have to find his way through this landscape at a later date. But it proved difficult to make anything out in any great detail, as the darkness of night masking much of the landscape that surrounded him. Finally, he realised that they  were coming to a stop just outside a small settlement that he soon realised was what served as Catriona’s and Magnus’ temporary home and base of operations while they were in the area. Making their way inside, Magnus signalled for Loki to follow him. Doing so without question, he soon found himself in a tiled room that contained a number of cubicles, which contained metal contraptions that had been set into the wall.

“Right, have a shower and I’ll see what I can get for you clothes wise. I'll also get you something for you to be able to sort out your hair and beard and generally get yourself tidied up. With these showers, you turn the knob in the centre to the left for the water to come out. The further round you turn it, the hotter the water will be. Help yourself to whatever you need for your shower. I'm sure that people won't mind, if they notice at all. I shouldn’t be too long” Magnus told him as he as he turned to head back out of the room, leaving Loki to himself.

Removing the blankets and the little that was left of his clothes, he left them in a pile of the floor. In the harshness of the light that filled the room, Loki could see how bad the burns actually where and that they would take time to heal. Doing what Magnus told him to do with what he referred to as a shower, it didn’t take long for him to find himself drenched in hot water that fell like rain. Taking his time, he washed away the grim and dirt that had covered him for longer than he cared to remember. He could feel the warmth of the water bringing life back to his limbs as he slowly began to feel more like his old self, even though he knew that he could never go back to how things had been before. As he stood there his thoughts turned back to the countless years that he had spent imprisoned in the coldness of the cave, where he had been left to be slowly tortured for the role that he had played in Balder's death. His skin had being burned raw by the poison that was being slowly dripped onto his body by the snake that had been hung above him, forcing him the writhe in pain with every single drop. Every time he did so, the ground shook, sometimes to the point when they thought that the cave would come crashing down around his ears. Sigyn, his wife from what now seemed to be another life, had refused to leave his side, doing all that she could to ease his suffering. She had knelt at his side, catching what she could of the poison in a bowl, only for the torture to begin again when she had to turn to empty the bowl. She was safe now. He knew that was the least that he could have done.

Forcing himself to face the situation he now found himself in, Loki turned off the water as he stepped out of the cubical an began to dry himself. Slicking his wet hair back and out of his face he turned around as he heard the door opening and made eye contact with Magnus as he re-entered the room. Magnus stopped in his tracks as he held a pile of clothes close to his chest. The look in his eyes showed his shock at the injuries that Loki had managed to sustained, which were obviously worse than anything that Magnus had ever laid eyes on.

“You really should let someone have a look at those burns before they get worse. You wouldn't want them to become infected” Magnus commented as his voice was laced with concern.

“They are nothing to be worried about. Now that I have washed, all I need now is to eat and get some rest. Everything else will sort itself. I do heal very quickly” Loki told him.

“If you insist. I thought that these clothes would fit you. They were left behind by someone who was working here last year who was about your height, but slightly bigger built, so they might be slightly baggy on you. But it will be better than having no clothes whatsoever. They are nothing special, just a pair of jeans, a jumper, a coat and one of those Afghan scarf’s that seem to be so popular at the moment. Hopefully these boots will fit you as well. I managed to find a pair of scissors and a razor that you can use. Hopefully that will allow you to tidy up your hair and let you shave if you want” Magnus told him as he placed the clothes on the nearest chair, with the boots tucked under the chair itself, while the scissors and razor were gently placed on top of the clothes.

“Thank you for all that you have done. This is much appreciated and it will not be forgotten. If our paths ever cross again, I will repay your for your kindness” Loki replied as he began to pull on the clothes.

“Just out of curiosity, where is it you’re actually from?” Magnus asked as he leaned back against a nearby wall.

“I’m not from around here. The place I'm from is a really quiet, little place that you probably have never heard of. Why do you ask?” Loki replied as he turned his gaze to the man who stood watching him.

“To be honest, it’s your dialect that is intriguing me the most. I’ve never heard anything like it in Iceland. I can understand much of what you are saying, but some of the words that you use sound very odd. A lot of the words that you use seem more like Old Norse than anything else” Magnus replied as he leaned against the tiled wall.

“I sometimes forget that I speak the way that I do. When I'm stressed or annoyed, I sometimes forget that not everyone understands how we speak back home. I do have a question for yourself. Where is it that Catriona’s from?” Loki queried as he picked up the razor and scissors as he made his way to the nearest mirror and began to tidy himself up even further. As Magnus continued to speak, Loki hacked off the ends of his long hair, leaving it to fall over his shoulders and to his chest, while the rest fell to the floor. Much of his beard was soon gone, leaving nothing but a neat goatee. 

“She’s from Scotland. Paisley, to be exact, but I wouldn't be able to point to it on a map if anyone actually asked me. She doesn't talk about it much, I don't know why. Just to let you know, we have contacted the local police, so that they can help find out what happened to you, but they won’t be able to get here until some time tomorrow, as a storm actually broke while you were having your shower and it looks like it won’t clear until tomorrow morning and they didn't want to risk travelling through the bad weather. So, I would suggest getting some rest, as you will have a busy day tomorrow. Even if that wasn't the case, I'm sure that you must exhausted after everything that you have obviously been through” Magnus continued as he watched Loki, almost as if he was doing all that he could determine the truth in what he was saying.

“Thank for letting me know. Hopefully I will actually be able to tell them something that will be able to help them find out what actually happened” Loki replied as he finished tidying himself up and placed the scissors on the side of the sink and studied the face that stared back at him from the mirror that hung on the wall.

He knew that he looked more gaunt than he once had, but that would soon be rectified. For the time being the charade had to be played to its conclusion if he wanted to slip away, unchallenged. If that meant that he had to play the fool and pretend no knowledge of himself in order not to avoid inviting too many questions, then that was how things had to be. 

“If you come with me, I’ll show you where you can sleep tonight. I’m sure that you will appreciate a clean and comfortable bed tonight” Magnus informed him as Loki swept his wet hair back and out of his face.

Magnus signalled for Loki to follow him as he led their unexpected visitor into another part of the building. Following him through an open door, Loki found himself in a room that was occupied by two rows of beds that had been lined up parallel to one another on the long walls of the room. Some had obviously had already being claimed by others, even though the room was currently empty. Many of the beds had items of clothing or books scattered across them, almost like some sort sign of ownership. Despite that, it was obvious that there were still a number of beds that were yet to find an occupant. The room itself was basic, but it was clean and warm, which was verging on luxury after centuries of being left in the darkness and the cold.

“Take your pick of any of the beds that are free. The rest of those who are on our team were still out, as they were carrying out work on the volcanoes. Obviously, with the weather having closed in on us so unexpectedly, they won’t be back until later on tomorrow, so you will have the room to yourself for the time being. Once you’ve settled, head back down to the common room and we will have make sure that you get something to eat and drink. I'm sure that you will be able to find your way” Magnus told him before he turned and left Loki alone in the room.

****

Looking up as the door opened, Catriona gave Magnus a quick smile as she continued to get things ready for dinner. The common room, as well as being where many of those who came to work at Volknajokll gathered to watch television and talk about the events of the day, it also housed a small kitchen and eating area. They all loved what they were doing, but there was only so much the cold and isolation that they could take before they lost what sanity that they had left. So, they often tried to take their minds off of their work by doing all that they could to keep up-to-date with what was going on elsewhere in the world. It certainly helped them bond, making them a stronger team than they would have been otherwise.

“I’m just making some spaghetti bolognaise for dinner. We still have loads of that mince that someone made up, so I’ve just put some spaghetti on to boil and put some garlic bread in the oven, so it shouldn’t take too long. How is our unexpected guest? Is he settling in well enough and has she remembered anything of what has happened to him?” she asked as Magnus sat down in the nearest arm chair.

“He seems to have sustained some substantial injuries, mostly burns that appear to cover most of his torso, but he is refusing to have anyone have a look at them. Even though they look like they should be causing him pain, he doesn't seem to take any notice of them, whatsoever. Other than that, he seems to be physically all right, maybe a bit on the skinny side, so it looks like he is needing nothing more than a good meal and a bed for the night. It looks like he’ll be along for something to eat in a few minutes” Magnus replied.

“You seemed to be struggle a wee bit with what he was saying when you were talking to him when we picked him up. Mind you, I couldn't understand a single word that either of you were saying” Catriona asked him as she continued with organising the meal.

“He seems to using a really obscure dialect. It's one that I had never heard before. That wasn't made any easier by the fact that he speaks with a strange accent. It something that I haven’t heard before. I asked him about it, but he seemed to be really evasive about it. He claims that he is just from somewhere really remote, but he wouldn't tell me where it was that he was from. There’s something about him that I'm just not too sure about, but I just can’t put my finger on” Magnus told her.

As he finished, the door swung open as Loki stepped into the room, dressed the best that he could in someone else’s clothes. Catriona smiled at him as warmly as she could as him walking towards them. Turning back to what she was doing, Catriona made one final check of the food before she rummaged through the cupboards for plates and cutlery. She tried to ignore the fact that an uncomfortable silence had started to fill the room the minute that their guest had entered the room. Looking back round, she found him watching her with eyes that appeared to hide more than they revealed.

“Right, if the two of you sit down, dinner will be going out in a minute and I hope that both of you are hungry, as I have made plenty for all three of us” Catriona stated as Magnus took his seat at the small kitchen table and signalled to Loki to do the same.

Catriona picked up a bottle of cola and three glasses and made her way back to the table. Placing the bottle in the middle of the table, she made sure that all three of them had a glass each before she turned back to the work tops and picked up the two bowls, both of which were filled to the brim with food and placed them in the centre of the table, which was soon followed by the garlic bread, after it had been hurriedly placed onto the nearest empty place that was large enough to hold it all. As she sat down at the table, she tried not to stare at the man who sat across the table from her. The physical change in him was amazing from what she had seen before. After a shower and with his hair cut and his beard trimmed to a neat goatee Catriona could see that he was attractive, in a sort of old fashioned way that was a rarity in the modern world. Doing all that she could to ignore that fact, she found that she struggled to dismiss the obvious that he certainly scrubbed up well. Now that she could see his face clearly, she could now make out that there were a number of scars that centred around him lips, which she struggled to come up with an explanation for. But there was something about him that didn't seem quite right, something that didn't quite fit.

“Don't be shy about taking seconds. I don't know about the two of you, but I could eat a horse” she stated as she filled her plate and began to tuck into her food.

Looking at Magnus, Loki waited for him to translate. Instead, Magnus picked up the bottle, opened it and began to empty its contents into the three glasses. Placing the bottle back where he had found it, Magnus took a long drink before he filled his plate and tucked into his food. Watching carefully, Loki studied how the two of them were eating and drinking in the hope of not giving away that much of what he saw around him was completely new to him. Following their lead, he took what food he wanted from the bowls that had been placed on the table and filled his plate. Just the fact that he was eating his first proper meal in longer than he could remember, Loki had soon cleared his plate and emptied his glass of its contents.  All he knew was that centuries had passed since he had been bound and left in the cave, with very little in the way of food to sustain him. Even though the liquid felt strange, it tasted sweet and not all together unpleasant. Taking a second helping of food after encouragement from his companions, he had soon eaten and drank his fill. For the rest of the meal, Loki quietly sat there, listening to his new companions talking together, with Magnus informing him of what they were saying in order to try to keep him in the loop. Slowly, but surely, Loki knew that he was starting to make sense of what was being said in the language that Catriona was speaking, which he realised was called English.

He even tried to speak a little in English in order to test his understanding of what was being said. Catriona seemed to find his initial attempts amusing as she tried to help him with his pronunciation of the odd word that he was trying. She tried to hide her surprise at his sudden attempts at English, all while trying not to laugh at his first fumbled attempts at trying to master the language. With the meal finished, with the plates and glasses cleared away, Loki took his leave and retreated back to the room that he had been shown only a short time before. He had been alone for so long, with only Sigyn for company, that he now found it a struggle to come to terms with having to spend time with others. He knew that this would give him enough time to make sure that he was ready for what he planned to do next. As he found himself alone in the room, he discovered a small bag that had been left lying under one of the beds. Quickly empting of its contents, he quickly hid it under the coat that he had draped over a nearby chair, ready and waiting for when he needed it. This allowed the bag to be kept out of view, but still close enough that it could be grabbed when the time finally came for him to make his exit. He would fill the bag with what he needed once he had had a couple of hours of much needed sleep. He planned to leave while Magnus and Catriona were still asleep, allowing him to disappear into the darkness, without any questions being asked and he would be far away before anyone realised that he was gone. He would make his escape into a world that he knew that he would struggle to recognise. He had been to Midgard on a number of occasions, but it was clear, from the little that he had seen, the realm had changed beyond all recognition.

Curling up on one of the beds, Loki slept fitfully as his dreams were filled with images of what had once been his life. He had once been at the heart of Asgard and the blood brother of the All-Father himself. He could recall many of their adventures, which took them through much of the Nine Realms. Those memories were bitter sweet, as much of what he had enjoyed then had long since been lost to him. After a few short hours, he found himself waking with a start, only to find that he was still surrounded by the darkness. Briefly lying where he had been sleeping, he allowed himself to gathering his thoughts and tried to calm himself as he forced himself to focus on what he knew lay ahead. After a few deep breaths, he silently got to his feet. He had slept in the clothes that he had been given, so it didn't take long to prepare for what he planned as he wrapped himself in the coat and scarf that he had been given. Picked up the bag that he had left at the bedside by its straps, he swung it over one of his shoulders. Leaving the room, Loki made his way into the kitchen, where he knew that he would be able to collect some basic supplies before he disappeared into the night.

Searching through what he could find in the cupboards, he came across a number of smaller bottles of the liquid that he had tasted with his dinner. Remembering how Magnus had opened the bottle as they were settling down to eat, he sneaking them into his bag, which were followed by a handful of apples that he picked up from a bowl that had been placed next to the sink, along with some loose bread rolls. It wasn't much, but it would have to do him for the time being. With the few supplies that he had managed to acquire, he quickly made his way out of the building, leaving very little trace that he had been there. The storm had not long passed and there was a calmness in the air that was mirrored by the clear night sky that glinted with the stars. Standing there for a for a few moments, he knew that it would be long before Magnus and Catriona were awake and the authorities arrived in search of their mysterious visitor, by which time, he would be far away. With that in mind, he slipped into the darkness, hoping that he would never see that place ever again.
© Copyright 2014 Thordis (thordis at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1980851-The-Worlds-Twilight---Chapter-2