*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1981066-Mystery-at-Narita
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Monologue · Comedy · #1981066
the beginning of my Japanese adventures
Until July 2003, I was this very average person. I married a software engineer who was at the time working at Tokyo. I traveled abroad alone for the first time, and on hindsight this experience changed me forever.
I took two flights to reach Tokyo. I was full of anticipatory excitement, My journey up to KL was uneventful and I expected everything to be just as smooth.
The moment I landed at Narita, I was to encounter Japanese cliches. All the sign boards were in Japanese, a script I was looking at for teh first time, it made no sense to me at all. I did not know where the Immigration/Customs desk was and which directions to follow.I did a random eeny meeny miney moe, and decided to foolow a certain sign board. It led me tot he toilets! Lucky, though since I did want to go badly.
From there I did another eeny meeny miney moe and this time i decided to follow the first person to exit the toilet. This time round too I was lucky as she led me out of the gate area and towards the concourse.
After some random wandering in the concourse area I finally chanced upon the Immigration desk. There were long queues of Asian looking people, everyone in the queue stared at me and laughed inwardly or so I thought, which made me a lot nervous than I already was. It was my turn at Immigration clerk, I promptly pulled out my passport and boarding pass for his examination. I didn't know if he was talking to himself or asking questions, either way I just stared at him with a blank expression. He quickly returned stamped and returned my passport. I found my luggage neatly piled on a trolley, and proceeded towards, the exit. I knew my husband was waiting for me at the Arrivals gate. It was already two hours since my flight landed at Narita. With great difficulty, I found my way out and searched for that one familiar face in an ocean of Asian looking unfamiliar faces. After half-an-hour of another frantic search, I spotted my husband. He was equally relieved to see me. After the hugs and kisses, he was smirking. He said he was very curious, as to how I ended up at the 'Departures' gate, instead of the 'Arrivals'. This question until now has remained a mystery to both of us.
© Copyright 2014 fromIllium (vbpp at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1981066-Mystery-at-Narita