*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1981530-My-Mate-Monica-Ch-7
by Bruce.
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Romance/Love · #1981530
Dave makes his planned move on Anne.
Chapter 5


Eddie woke the following morning with a churning in his belly like a volcano trying to erupt up his throat, and he rushed to the toilet. He was violently sick, retching long after he emptied his stomach. His brain was banging in his head as he slowly made his way back to his bedroom. It was midday and though there was no driving work for him, he planned to go to the yard to grease up and clean his lorry. It was out of the question in his condition and he knew he was not fit to drive to work anyway. He put on his jeans and when he checked his pockets, he found a slip of paper with Denise's name and telephone number on it. He remembered the party and the intercourse with Denise in the back garden and was instantly full of regret. It was tacky and cheap and not the sort of thing he would normally get up to.

         He dropped back onto his bed with his hands to his head wondering why he let it happen. It was not something he was proud of and he felt ashamed of himself because he cheated on Anne. He feared she might find out. Perhaps Denise would be boastful about her latest conquest. He tried to dismiss the thought. Anne must not find out what he did. He knew she would become wild and irrational. He thought about how much he loved her and how he would be devastated if she chucked him, which he knew she would if she found out about Denise. But she would also be upset, and he knew how she thought the world of him and how this could destroy them both if she found out. He would just hope and pray she wouldn't and he thought there was little chance she would. Denise was not the sort of girl Anne would spend time with and he was sure that Dave wouldn't say anything. He knew one thing, he felt terrible guilt about cheating on Anne and he would never let that sort of thing happen again. It was not worth the risk of hurting her or losing her. He began to think how she would feel if she found out the man she adored had been unfaithful. He knew it would hurt her; it would hurt her terribly. He began to blame it all on the drink. Yes, it was all because of the drink. He thought he would just have to have more control over his drinking in future and he convinced himself that he would never have gone with the girl if it were not for the drink.

* * * * *


         Monica and Anne were both at work for the busy Saturday lunchtime session leaving the evenings to Tony's relatives. Monica felt unhappy knowing that if she told Anne about Eddie and Denise, it would almost certainly destroy Anne's relationship with Eddie. She also worried that Anne may not believe her or maybe even turn hostile towards her. She kept her thoughts to herself for most of the day, but decided that it was right to tell her.

         "Look," Monica said. "If you found out that Alan was messing about with other girls behind my back, would you tell me?"

         "Of course I will. You're my mate Monica. I won't let that sort of thing go on behind your back. I'll ask around and if I find out anything, anything at all, I promise that I'll let you know. I won't stand by and let you be treated like that, no matter how much the truth hurts."

         "Yes, we are best mates, aren't we? We are supposed to look out for each other?"

         "Of course we are.”

         "I wish it weren't me that has to tell you, but I'd hope that you would tell me if it were the other way round."

         "I'm beginning to not like the sound of this. Well, come on then, you've got me worried now."

         "You know I went to Joy's party last night. Well, your fella was there."

         "The lying toe-rag. He said that he was only going to Seven Kings."

         "It gets worse. I went out to the outside toilet for a pee. I'm so sorry Anne."

         "You don't have to apologise for having a piss."

         "When I got outside he was against the wall with that Denise, you know, that blonde girl from Forest Gate. The one with the big bust."

         "What! Were they snogging and that?"

         "A bit more than snogging. They were at it, they were doing it."

         "What you mean, sex? They were having sex? That fucking slag and my Eddie?" Anne had never dreamed that Eddie, mister nice guy Eddie, could act in such a way and she sat sad-faced for a moment looking at Monica.

         "I'm really sorry, Anne, and I've been so worried about telling you."

         "No, you did right to tell me, but are you really sure that it was him though? You've never really met Eddie, have you?"

         "He was there with Demo Dave and I heard Dave call him Eddie. When I asked him he said it was your Eddie."

         "Demo Dave! I suppose he thought it was funny, thought it a right laugh, did he?"

         "No, he didn't. I think Dave was almost as shocked by it all as I was. He even tried to cover for him."

         "I'll cover for him. I'll bury him and cover him in earth the slimy cheating worm. Wait until I see him tonight. He'll wonder what the bloody hell's hit him. Denise, of all people. Who knows where that bloody scrubber has been? It makes my skin crawl."

         "I know, I know how upset you must be."

         "Upset, I'm not upset, I'm bloody furious. I just want to get my hands around his throat and strangle him, the scumbag."

* * * * *


         Eddie pulled up outside Anne's house at seven-thirty. He knew right away there was something wrong by the stern look on her face and by the fact she was already waiting on the pavement instead of running out from her house. He got out of the van and walked over to her with a smile across his face. "What's up?" he said, feeling confident it was too soon for anyone to have told her what happened at the party.

         "What's up!" Her hand crashed a heavy blow across his face.

         Eddie stepped back in shock as the powerful blow caused him pain and severe stinging to his face. "What?" he said holding his hand to his cheek. "What's that all about?"

         "You bastard." She went for him and began flailing him with slaps and punches from both hands.

         He had been struck a dozen times before he managed to stop her by grabbing her wrists. "What, what, what's up?"

         "You two-timing bastard." He still held her wrists, but she started to kick out at his ankles and shins and tried to head-butt him.

         He let go of her wrists and quickly backed away from her as she swung a kick at him, but she missed and nearly overbalanced herself. Eddie just stared at her, relieved that she didn't pursue him. "What the hell are you talking about?" he said.

         "You know full well. The party at Joy's, out in the garden for a knee-trembler with that Denise scrubber."

         This was terrible news for Eddie and depressing thoughts flooded his mind, fearful of what she would say next, what she would do. He was praying in his mind they would get through this, hoping she would listen, forgive him and just give him a chance. "Look, let me explain," he said. "I had too much drink and I didn't realise what was going on."

         "Bullshit, you knew what was going on all right, but you didn't care, did you? You didn't give a shit about me, all you thought about was your dick."

         "That's not true. I was thinking of you."

         "Great, am I supposed to be flattered or something now, eh? Screwing that thing and thinking of me, well thank you very much."

         "No, I didn't mean..."

         "And what if she has the pox or something, and she gave it to you, and you keep your sordid little fling to yourself and give it to me?"

         "Please, please listen, Anne, it was Dave, he…"

         "Bollocks, it wasn't Dave, it was you. Just get in your crappy van and piss off. We're finished." She turned and began walking away from him.

         "Wait, just wait a minute Anne," he said as he followed her. "I don't know what you've heard but it's not like you think."

         Anne turned to face him again, but there were tears streaming down her face. "Just piss off, Eddie. Get away from me," she screamed. "I hate you, I really hate you for doing this to me." As hurt and frustrated aggression continued in the tears running down her face, she shouted at him. "I thought you loved me."

         "I do, I do love you." Tears were also forming in Eddie's eyes as he pleaded with her. "Anne, please. I'm sorry, I'm so sorry. Please don't finish it like this."

         Anne turned to hurry off and her younger sister Vicki dashed out from the house with a bowl of washing up water and she threw it at Eddie, hitting him at waist level and soaking his jeans. "Dirty rotten two-timer," she shouted and ran off after her sister.

         "Great," he said. "Thanks a lot." Her mother was looking out from the window bearing a resemblance to the Medusa monster. Eddie decided to get into his van and make a tactical retreat before the rest of the family came out to abuse him. He thought it would be best to try to speak to Anne another time when she was not on home ground and had calmed down a little. He would plead, he would grovel, he would have to show her he loved her more than anyone could know and he would do anything to make it up to her. Yes, he would do anything as long as she would forgive him for his stupidity. She must forgive him.

******


         Sunday night, Dave walked into The Prince Alfred saloon bar and acted as if he were surprised when he saw Anne sitting with her family. Her parents, grandmother, aunt, and uncle, and some family friends occupied two tables in the middle of the bar room. He smiled at Anne before ordering a drink and just as he expected, she walked over to greet him.

         "What are you doing in here?" she said.

         "I've had a bit of work done on the engine of my car. I've just picked it up from the railway arches. I was passing here and fancied a drink so I thought I'd pop in for a quick pint. I didn't know you came in here. What is it, a special party or something?"

         "No, I'm always in here Sunday nights. Hasn't Eddie ever told you that?"

         "No, he's never mentioned it."

         "Did he tell you we've split up because of what he did at Joy's party?"

         "You know about that then?"

         "Most of East London knows," she said. "Has he said anything more to you about it?"

         "I haven't really spoken to him since Friday. To tell you the truth, Anne, I've been avoiding him after what he did behind your back. You expect it from some blokes, but I was shocked at Eddie. It was really quite tacky." He shook his head. "And with Denise of all people, hardly a conquest is she? How did you find out about it anyway?"

         "Never mind about that. It's all over with and in the past now, and so is he. Look, why don't you come over and join us? The group will start playing soon and it's a pretty good night in here Sundays."

         "I don't want to impose."

         "Don't be silly. And if you like you can run me home in your car later."

         Dave's plan went exactly as he intended. He caused her to break up with Eddie and now it seemed clear she might be interested in starting a relationship with him.

         Anne introduced Dave to her family who seemed to accept him with enthusiasm after the way Eddie always seemed to avoid their company. Dave often received some attention from Anne when they met socially, teasing him or mischievously aggravating Eddie, but this time it was for real and Dave revelled in it. They became more at ease with each other as the night went on and when they were dancing to a slow love song, it drew a smile from Anne's parents.

         After the dance, Dave went to the men's room and Anne returned to her parent's table. "He seems a nice young man," her mother said. "A bit different to that other one, Eddie, he was so unsociable."

         "Eddie was just a bit shy that's all. If he'd got to know you all a bit better, I'm sure you would have liked him."

         "I'm sure I wouldn't, Anne. I cannot stand cheaters and I always thought there was something shifty about him. Just think what he would have been like if you got married to him, married to a philanderer, a womaniser."

         "You always talk about me getting married. I'm not ready for that yet. I've a lot of living to do."

         "Too right, girl," her father said. "No use rushing into things."

         "Well, she's not getting any younger, you know," her mother said.

         "Sorry, I'm not disturbing anything, am I?" Dave said, as he returned to the table.

         "Course not," Anne said. She stood up. "Anyway, we're off now."

         "What for, we'll all be going in half an hour or so?" her mother said.

         "Dave's gonna run me home in his car and he's already had a few drinks. He don't want to take no chances and be seen leaving in a car at closing time."

         "Well, why drive at all. You can walk home quicker."

         "They want to be alone for a while," her father said. "Like when we were young. And he will still have to drive later won't he?"

         "Don't talk daft, you didn't have a car then."

         "No, and most of the time your mother followed us about."

         "So you are talking rubbish again. Just go and get the drinks in."

         Anne and Dave left the bar and when they pulled away in the car, Dave spun the wheels imitating a rally driver. As they sped around the block, Anne laughed at the thrill she was getting from his sudden outlandish behaviour, but they were soon pulling up outside her house.

         "Well, it sure beats a Mini Van."

         "That's nothing, I'm gonna get a three-litre Capri soon. Now there is a flying machine and you can be my co-pilot if you like."

         "I can't wait. Look, you didn't mind running me home, did you? I know you and Eddie are good friends. I just thought it would be nice for the two of us to get away from the crowd and be on our own for a while."

         "Of course I don't mind. Just because you two used to go out together, it doesn't mean I can't spend time with you now it's all over, does it? Tell you what, I'm going over to Wimbledon on Thursday night to watch my mate, Jeff. He does banger racing, and you can come with me if you like. It's really exciting, something different, and I guarantee you a right good night out."

         "Sounds good to me, I could do with some excitement in my life right now."

         "Terrific, it's a date then. You know Anne, I've always fancied you and I've always wanted to ask you out, but I've never known you not to have a boyfriend. When you started going out with Eddie I was really gutted. I just kept thinking what a lucky bastard he was, but he messed up and maybe that was a blessing for me."

         "Maybe it was," she said. As she reached over to kiss Dave, the terrible hurt of splitting up with Eddie flashed into her mind again. The thoughts were never far away, but she was adamant her thoughts wouldn't spoil the moment for her.

         Anne’s family were soon back and Dave followed Anne into the house. He sat with the family drinking cocoa and chatting, but as the time passed he began to get the same impression of them as Eddie had spoken about. Although he found her family a bit brash, annoying and overbearing, he hid his true thoughts behind an almost continual smile. He was a little more devious than Eddie and was prepared to suffer it all to give a good impression of himself.





 Eddie and Dave. Ch 6.   (18+)
Eddie goes to Benito's to try and speak with Anne.
#1982389 by Bruce.
© Copyright 2014 Bruce. (brucef at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1981530-My-Mate-Monica-Ch-7