*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1981645-The-Hague
Rated: E · Other · Contest Entry · #1981645
A short article about The Hague
Sparklers at The Hague  (word count 412)

         The Hague, the Netherlands prize city , which like a diamond, is emitting sparks of relevant news during the month of March.  The third largest city is not the capital of the Dutch realm.  It is the capital of South Holland and the seat of Dutch Parliament, Dutch Supreme Court, and the Council of State. 

         Located within the Hague are 150 international organizations.

         Sometime in the year of 1230 a nobleman named Count Flores IV of Holland purchased land adjacent to a small body of water.  He was eager to build an estate for the purpose of hunting.  The city of Haga grew from the foundation property.  After the 15th century, the  current city complex was called Des Graven Hagen, which means," The Counts Woods."  The name evolved to, Den Haag or in English The Hague.

         The ICC, is an International Criminal Court currently based in The Hague.  It was brought into being by a treaty  called the Rome Statute which was adopted in July 1998 and enforced July1,2002. The Rome Statute describes 4 international crimes which are genocide, crimes against humanity, war crimes and crimes of aggression within states.  One hundred twenty two states of the earth have ratified the treaty. 

         On March 7, 2014, the judges in an International Criminal Court case convicted Germaine Katanga, of murder and robbery during an attack on a Congo village.  The controversial decision is being criticized by officials who cite the changes in the charges which they feel caused the guilty judgment. Some charges against Katanga were dropped because of lack of evidence.

         Another news item sparking from the Hague are the Municipal Council elections set for March 19, 2014. A candidate, Geert Wilders, is causing election stress  with a quote reported at www.nltimes.nl.  Wilders said,"Voters want a city with less problems and if possible less Moroccans."  Wilders says, " the people are voting for a safer and more social city with less problems."  His views are causing open discussion and debate among voters and other interested parties.

         More news from The Hague is yet to be reported when the Netherlands hosts the Nuclear Security Summit on March 24 and 25 of 2014.  The summit hopes to target the prevention of nuclear terrorism.  And, seeks to find answers for global cooperation and elimination of nuclear anxiety for the earth's communities.

         News flowing from the Hague this month highlights its presence as a global community as it resides within the Netherlands.
© Copyright 2014 Apondia (judithd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1981645-The-Hague