*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1982826-Relativitys-Summit
Rated: E · Short Story · Scientific · #1982826
Three on Einstein.
The three chosen to discuss Einstein’s theory of general relativity, Ovid, a Roman poet, Jerome Emser, a German theologian, and Yuri Shargin, a Russian astronaut, eyed each other narrowly at first, but then eased their shoulders and even slumped back in their seats a little when cinnamon rolls and French-vanilla coffee was served.  Ovid grinned, Emser nodded, Yuri sighed.  Each consumed in the relative application of his own enjoyment.

The discussion began, with Ovid giving poetic praise to stars, the night and space in general, musing about the depth and breadth of firmament.  Emser opined that God, despite his incomprehensible mystery, still emboldened man with potential cognizance to recognize the divine hand.  Yuri rolled his eyes and spoke immediately about gravity before quoting Einstein: “God does not play dice with the universe.”

“I am a poet,” Ovid said, “so I don’t begin to fully understand Einstein’s theory, yet from what I read, it is a geometric theory of gravitation.  Understanding aside, that seems poetic to me!”

“It is poetic,” chimed in Emser, “and what should it not be--why would anyone deny God as a poet?  God is everything.”

“God is everything, or nothing,” Yuri shot back.  “And it fully depends on one’s definition of God, as they are not all the same.  As to gravity, yes, Einstein’s general theory begins there, and indeed generalizes special relativity, proceeding into the curvature of space-time, and the relation to energy and momentum.”

“The curvature of space-time!” Ovid’s face was animated.  “I like the sound of that--please, expound!”

“According to the theory,” Yuri answered, “mass has gravity, and ergo gravity distorts space.”

“All evidence for the fine hand of God,” Emser interjected.

Yuri continued without looking at Emser:

“Look at it this way.  When I orbited the Earth in a Soyuz, I had enough speed to stay in orbit because the orbit was such that the curvature of the Earth fell away proportionate to that orbit, and so orbit was maintained, all according to Newtonian mechanics.  Yet according to general relativity, space itself is curved, and therefore that which is in orbit follows that curve.”

“So, the Earth, being so massive, distorts space greatly?” asked Ovid.

“Precisely,” replied Yuri.

Jerome sipped some coffee and then spoke up:

“How about Jupiter? or the sun?  They are much more massive.  Therefore, they distort space much more, yes?”

“They do, indeed,” said Yuri evenly.  "Both the sun, and Jupiter, are deep, gravity wells so to speak, which is why their escape velocities are great.  The sun, well, look at the power of the sun, able to keep an entire solar system intact, all the way, practically, to the Oort Cloud.  All the planets, including Earth, pucker the fabric of space--Jupiter does so much more; the sun does even more.  And it was Einstein who predicted black holes long before they were discovered.”

Ovid and Emser suddenly had blank stares on their faces.

“Black holes,” Yuri said confidently, “were theoretical constructs based on mathematical prediction.  But now, based on observation, science has been able to confirm the invisible.  Black holes have infinite density, and therefore infinite gravity.”

“In my time,” Ovid said meekly, “only six planets were known, and now it appears the universe is a much bigger and more awesome than one could have imagined.  And it seems that Einstein had special insight.”

“God provides some with special insight,” Emser added with pride.

“Or the universe does,” shot back Yuri.

“Perhaps the universe is God,” Ovid put in softly.

“We have a name for it,” uttered Yuri, “so why not save a step, and leave God out of it; that’s mere religion--why the need for a God?”

“God created the Universe, and us,” Emser asserted.

“Or man created God,” Yuri replied. “Look at all the religions.”

“And Einstein created the general theory of relativity,” Ovid said with a wide grin.

Emser and Yuri laughed out loud.

The three went on in lively discussion, covering gravitational lensing, the red shift of galaxies, and even time dilation, although at that point Emser was heard to mutter a prayer and Ovid waxed poetic.  Soon it became painfully obvious it was time for lunch.  Only this time, they enjoyed Big Mac’s, fries and Coke.


712 Words
Writer’s Cramp
March 21, 2014

(As part of the prompt requirement, Ovid, Jerome Emser,
  and Yuri Shargin were all born on March 20, 2014)

© Copyright 2014 Jatog the Green (webroot at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1982826-Relativitys-Summit