*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1983863-Chris-Miller-Skateboard-Powell-Wheels
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1983863
A specific memory of skateboarding with my cousin more than 20 years ago
I'm an accountant, and during an account reconciliation, the most random memory popped in my head.



"This road would be a lot better use for cars because then they could cut through the apartment complex to the main road. Why do they have these ugly-ass wooden poles linked together with chains blocking both ends. Maybe they use it for apartment gatherings, or barbeques, but I've never seen one," I thought to myself. What was nice about that strip of cement was it was. With exception to one glaring 4 inch wide crack, not even a quarter inch deep, but crossed the road width wise, it was perfect. Smoother than the apartment parking lots, and no speed bumps. It was also a sunny California day and perfect to skate.



My cousin and I would skate on this road at the apartment complex he lived at a lot. Practice our tricks, turns, slides, or race. One particular time I remember was the day I was landing every ollie. Perfectly over this lame little crack. Back in that day, I was still skating on my Chris Miller board, with heavy trucks, and large-hard 70mm powell wheels. My parents bought it for me in 1989. If I remember correctly, it had a dog type graphic on the bottom. Back to the story, this board was HEAVY, and while I know my memory is exaggerating, I could have sworn I was getting at least a foot of air clearing that little crack.



I thought I would have more to write, but thinking about that day and forgetting most of the others has led me to think of why that memory popped up. Currently, I'm having difficulties at work. I'm not performing my duties up to par and can't figure out why. That memory popped up because that was a very successful day personally. Not only was I hanging out with my cousin, who I considered my brother, but I was accomplishing a trick which previously gave me a difficult time. Now why I was successful that day and not days prior or upcoming I don't know, but I know I definitely needed a pick me up and I got it.



Another point can be taken from this too. There are lots of people including myself that have their successful moments, triumphs, whatever it is, but never ask why or analyze why they were. Often it's a don't question it type of belief just be glad it happened. I'm starting to think, that type of mentality has another side to it, a side of lack of confidence, frequent thoughts or mental "tapes" of defeat consciously or unconsciously playing over and over.



The point is this. Start analyzing why the success is happening. I guarantee it will be hard, tiring, and lots of flight type reactions. But you need to stick to it until it becomes a new tape.
© Copyright 2014 fastwrite (jroc at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1983863-Chris-Miller-Skateboard-Powell-Wheels