*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1984719-Sky-Train-SafetyIs-it-a-Priority
Rated: E · Assignment · Research · #1984719
Research Paper for academic writing course.
Sky Train Safety: Is it a Priority?

Rapid transit was first introduced into the lower mainland in 1983 when construction on the expo line began. The project was completed in 1985, with 22nd Street Station and New Westminster being the first to be built.  New Westminster is home to three stations along the expo line, 22nd Street, New Westminster, and Columbia. The incorporation of rapid transit was essential and contributed greatly to the development of the city’s resources, however with the good came the bad. The convenience and accessibility provided by the sky train has long since been a haven for criminals. Translink claims that the installation of fare gates that work with the Compass Card program will significantly improve rider safety by reducing fare evasion, therefore the criminal element.  However, the concerns of local residents who have been campaigning to improve safety of the 22nd Street neighbourhood argue that increased criminal activity is due to a lack of transit police presence. Many riders are concerned that electronic fare gates will also mean a reduction of transit police, as bodies will not be needed to check tickets. There are multiple stations along the expo line in need of serious change.  One such station is 22nd Street in the west end of New Westminster. While New West station was revamped with high rise living and multiple retail stores, 22nd Street has continued to be ignored. When Translink’s new fare gates come into effect they will be inadequate in providing increased safety without increasing police presence in stations, and in surrounding New Westminster neighbourhoods.

In 2011, Kris Taylor and Connaught Heights residents started campaigning for increased safety at 22nd Street sky train and in the surrounding neighbourhood. While residents encountered great success with the city of New Westminster and Police, they received great resistance from Translink. Many requests and attempts have been made to collaborate with Translink to clean up the station and the immediate area, “the city cleans up under the guideway at least three times a week, with 85 per cent of the litter being free newspapers distributed at the station.” (Granger, newwestnewsleader.com)There is a dark and quiet path under the station that follows under the tracks. It was indicated by ByLaw officer Veronika Metchie in a report to city council that “fencing be installed from the BC Hydro substation below the sky train to 20th Street. That would cut off access to an area which New Westminster Police have identified as an area frequently used for consuming alcohol and drugs, sexual encounters, physical violence and access to homes for break-ins.” (Development Services, City of New Westminster). Translink has yet to cooperate. In an article that addressed safety concerns at the station, Tranlink’s spokesperson Ken Hardie stated “the major factor is the availability of resources, we don’t have the resources to have full-time [attendants]. There is no location with full-time security.” (Granger, newwestleader.com) It is apparent that the severity of crime and personal safety is not a priority for Translink.  There are numerous reports of assaults, robberies, and harassments occurring both inside and outside stations. One such incident proved to be a tragic and devastating loss of a young 19 year old man. He was beaten into a coma not far to 22nd Street sky train and close to the tracks in a poorly lit area, he later died in hospital.  In 2013 women were being sexually harassed on the sky train and while walking near the station.

Simply incorporating fare gates into BC's sky train system to reduce fare evasion is simply not enough to ensure rider safety. However, that is not the message Translink is trying to send as they stated in an online media release in 2011, “once in full operation, the fare gates will make taking transit safer.” How this will be accomplished is not completely clear, however, in a press release Translink explains that, “Vancouverites have perceived for some time that a greater sense of security will result from the introduction of fare gates.” (translinklistens.bc.ca). This statement suggests that the absence of fare gates, combined with “perceived” safety risks to transit users, discourages people from using public transportation. So it is clear that what Translink is selling is a perception, a false sense of security. This is also true when it comes to cameras installed in and around all sky train stations. These cameras are not actively monitored and are used for assessing crowd control needs and risks. Again they provide an illusion of safety. Translink spokesperson Anne Drennan confirms that “Translink has more than 1,000 cameras in the system and does not have the resources to monitor them at all times.” (Granger, newwestnewsleader.com) These statements are unsettling when assault, robbery, and harassment have been a common occurrence both on the trains and surrounding transit stations. A crime statistics analyses was conducted by The South Coast British Columbia Transportation Authority Police Service (Transit Police) over a 28 day period. During that period alone, “24, 328 incidents were reported in (Vancouver, Burnaby, New Westminster, and Surrey). Of that 11% occurred within 250m’s of a Sky Train station.” (Sky Train Security, 6).  The real threat that is being addressed here is fare evasion, and it threatens Translink, not the public. The rate of fare evasion on the entire rapid transit system is only “5 percent of riders.”(Wikipedia.com). Translink claims that fare gates will reduce fare evasion on the system, and therefore the criminal element. Yet, according to CBC’s  Terry Donnelly , “beta testers have already found an easy way to fool the card into cutting the cost of a long trip by up to two-thirds.” (cbc.ca). The system hasn’t even come into effect and already there are problems. Problems which will no doubt cost more money. As well as riders already being able to cheat the system, a transit police review noted that “the new fare gates will likely cause congestion outside of stations creating hostility amongst commuters and disorder outside of fare paid zones” (SCBCTAPS 53).

The budget for fare gates and the compass card program combined was a whopping $171million dollars. The project wasn’t even completed and is not fully functional, forcing riders who don’t have compass cards to pay fares twice when transferring to a bus. According to Translink’s budget, there is no increase in funding for Transit Police or patrols. This is not surprising as The Province reported that the compass card “budget exceeded its $171-million estimate.”(O’Connor, theprovince.com). As a matter of fact, front line staff at Translink is currently preparing to strike. CUPE 7000 spokesperson Annaliese Hunt spoke in a press release and reported that what they want “is a new collective agreement so [they] can get on with the job of serving the public,” and some of the “ issues to be settled, involve wages and benefits.” (cupe.bc.ca). $171 million plus could have been more effectively spent on transit staff, training and numbers.  And, this is exactly what the public has consistently asked for.  Research conducted by Translink in 2008 revealed that “64% of riders [wanted] to see an increase in transit attendants”, and “57% expected to see someone visible at all times…. at all stations.” (Sky Train Security Perceptions, translinklistens.bc.ca). Since then, there has only been an increase in attendants at four stations.

With the continuing incidents of crime whether it be against person or property, Translink must step up to the plate and take more responsibility. Focus needs to be centered on increasing staffing and active transit presence at all stations during all hours. Collaboration with municipal cities and local authorities is essential in improving transit communities and their affected neighbourhoods and residents. Creating an illusion or a perception of safety to increase ridership is simply unacceptable.









© Copyright 2014 alimac81 (alimac81 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1984719-Sky-Train-SafetyIs-it-a-Priority