*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1985388-Sugar-for-Blood
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1985388
It was discovered to be no joke.
It was discovered to be no joke.

As soon as Mary opened the door to her cozy little cottage-style home the smell of a delicious blend of baked goods wafted to Pam's nose. The small group of people next to her oohed and awed at the sweet melody of scents.

Pam smiled to herself, Mary must have just pulled a cake from the oven. That smell was sinful!

"Hello Ladies!" Mary started, "I am so glad you have accepted my invitation!" She nudged the door a little wider releasing more of the sweet aroma, "Once you step in you must remember not to touch the pastries. Feel free to walk around and explore! Once more guests show, the tasting will begin!" There was a little hop in her step that caused her small black curls to bounce around her shoulders as she turned to let guests in.

Pam enjoyed Mary's enthusiasm. She frequently threw little get-togethers that were no near as grandiose as her invitations. This invitation in particular was amusing, as usual. Pam looked down at the bright red invitation in her hand. Written boldly in glimmering iridescent black powder was FOOD PORN and in a slanted cursive underneath, a Party for the Sweet of Tooth. The cardstock was heavy, velvety and smelled like sweet lemon. Pam flipped the card over and traced her fingers over the pressed golden letters and the discreetly pressed outline of a cupcake at the bottom of the card.

I' m pretty sure she uses the parties she throws as an excuse to make these elaborate invitations, Pam thought, I mean even the little cherry on the cupcake was a paper edible!

Pam glanced up at the front door. What was taking so long? She wondered. Only a few people stood in front of her and the door. Pam closed her eyes and breathed in heavily.

It smelled so good. If a scent could feel this one would feel like warmth and affection, so potent that it promised satisfaction. Pam's mouth watered.

What did she make? I can practically taste it. What was it? Lemon, ginger or maple? Mary couldn't quite put her finger on it and from the conversations behind her neither could the others.

Pam had been to a few of Mary's parties and knew that Mary was a wonderful hostess. That's why I come to her little parties. Pam thought, There's a no strings attached policy.

Pam was finally to the door. If you could only stay for 5 minuets it was perfectly fine with Mary. She stepped further into the house.

The music was never too loud, there was plenty of public & private seating and you could pretty much do what you..oh my...goodness! Pam's jaw dropped. She couldn't take her eyes off the scene in front of her. Her hand flew to her chest and her heart fluttered.

The colors! The displays! Oh my goodness! Pam didn't know where to start.

The cupcakes, the scones, the cakes, the bars, tarts and pies oh my! Pam was taken in. Everywhere she looked there was a display.

An arrangement of brightly colored treats drew her eye and her breath caught, "Wow! Look at these French macaroons!" She said aloud.

There are so many colors, so many flavors to choose from all arranged perfectly by color, She smiled,They were perfect! So fluffy and round. Pam kneeled on one knee to eye level where she could see the butter-cream filling that oozed from the center of the delicately placed sweet biscuits.

Oh what a tease! Pam thought excitedly. As if not in her control her eyes flickered over to another display. Next to the Macrons was an elaborate 5-tier display of mini candied apples. Pam smiled and admired their deep red glaze as it sparkled in the light.

They look like red diamonds! Sexy, Pam licked her lips, Should I eat them or wear them? She wasn't sure. Again her mesmerized gaze turned towards another platter this one filled with iridescent gold bars.

A small white place card read, Lemon Honeyed Graham Cracker Crust Bars. They look so wonderful! She thought. Their wet, shiny surfaces begged to be licked. She could just taste the lemon as it melted in her eager mouth.

I absolutely love graham cracker crusts! This couldn't get any better. She realized.

Down she went, past the rows of candy-coated, sugar-feathered treats. Their powdered sugar whispered to her, their soft centers called to her and their glossy glazes winked at her. She stopped suddenly and blushed. Wide-eyed she examined the grandstand of extravagantly made cupcakes standing before her.

How...? She could not find her words. She gazed at towers of picturesque cupcakes. On a place card in beautifully scripted letters wrote, Rich Triple Chocolate Dream and Silky Red Velvet Cupcakes, and in smaller letters, Always warm and ready. Upon a closer look she could see that they were on warmer plates. A heavy chocolaty scent drifted from the cupcakes to her and she closed her eyes.

Oh my, that smell! So rich and creamy. She wrapped her arms around herself as if to hold it against her, What would it be like to taste it? To have that moist, warm chocolate cake melt in her mouth? I want it, I need it. A soft moan escaped her. Her eyes flew open and she self-consciously glanced around her. Other guests were busy eagerly examining the baked goods around them.

Oh good no one heard me. Relieved she took a moment to look at the whole room. Large displays blocked her view of most of the house, but she could see that they extended as far out as the outdoor patio. Guests were doting over the stunning array of goods. She touched her face lightly,

Did I look like that? The guests wore masks of admiration and longing on their faces. They stared open mouthed at everything.

A short elderly woman passed by her muttering, "Treasures, little treasures."

For the first time since she got there she noticed that her invitation was gone. It was just in my hand...I must of dropped it. She laughed at herself, I can't believe I dropped it. She did a half turn and stopped short at the cupcake display. Again the chocolaty scent reached out like fingers and wrapped themselves around her.

"Some have cherries on them," she said aloud this time, "fat, juicy cherries." They sat there on top of their chocolate swirl thrones. She had the urge to grab one and pop it into her mouth. Perhaps I can get one with a little chocolate on its bottom. She schemed.

Pam's attention was suddenly averted when a high-pitched ping rang across the room. It was as if someone was taking a heavy silver spoon to the delicate side of a wine glass. Then she heard Mary's voice. She tilted her head up towards the staircase and saw Mary with her familiar mess of curly black hair.

"Again, thank you all for coming! I am sure you are all eager to start the tasting." Mary started.

Indeed, Pam agreed. Her eyes drifted up further to the top of the staircase. She frowned. Who were those men? She didn't recognize them. Was he looking at me? She quickly averted her eyes back to Mary.

"Please don't be shy, there is plenty for everyone! Now go and enjoy!" Mary gave her wine glass one last tap before making her way down the stairs.

Never have I ever thought that Mary would throw this elaborate of a party. Pam thought. She turned her attention back to the cupcakes. She felt her pulse quicken.

"Finally." She said as she eyed them. She sucked at her bottom lip.

Which one...which one? She deliberated. Her hand hovered over the cakes on the second tier. She gently removed one elegantly made cupcake. Warmth filled her hand as she gently cupped it. She held it up to her nose and inhaled its sultry scent.

I am going to enjoy this. Her skin prickled. Not out of anticipation of that first bite, but from the feeling that someone was watching her. She hesitated. Out of the corner of her eye she thought she saw that man looking at her.

Now I'm annoyed. I'll just go somewhere else. She maneuvered around the other guests who were thoroughly enjoying their desserts, which only aggravated her more.

She found a dark corner with a small table. Satisfied with her hiding spot, she placed the cupcake in front of her and plucked the cherry from the top. She sucked at the chocolate on its bottom.

So good! The chocolate is perfect. Suddenly she was hungry, so hungry. She used her teeth to pull the cherry from its stem and enjoyed the burst of cherry sweetness as she finished it off. The inch of chocolate icing that topped the cake disappeared in seconds. She eagerly peeled the dark paper liner from the cake. She closed her eyes and took the largest bite she could manage. The sweet, soft cake melted in her mouth and her toes curled.

Exquisite! Like a woman possessed she devoured the cupcake. Once finished she relaxed into her chair and gazed at her cake stained fingers.

That was good, the best I've had in awhile. She decided.

Now I'm thirsty. She glanced around for the refreshments but couldn't bring herself to move. She felt good and wanted to just bask in it. A cool breeze kissed her cheek and she looked up.

He was there watching her. She sat up straighter in her chair and followed his gaze that dropped from her face to the empty paper liner in front of her. She felt her face grow hot.

Had he been there watching her the whole time? She felt incredibly embarrassed. She moved to get up, but before she could turn around to leave he was there holding out a bottle of water to her.

She fisted her hands at her sides and then pointed back to the empty paper liner, "There is no way you could ever top that." Satisfied at the surprised look on his face she ignored the water bottle and left the party.

He's cute, but he stared at me and that's weird. I'm not about to let anyone ruin my post cupcake experience! She smiled the entire way home.
~~~
He stood there a moment while her words sunk in. That was not what he was expecting. He looked questionably at his brother.

"She ate the cupcake. You know what that means. She's not going to fall in love at first sight...and I wouldn't blame her." His brother teased.

"Then what is it good for and how do you know it works?" He asked impatiently.

"Because," his brother sighed, "It's perfectly designed to attract your soul mate. Its pheromones are specifically tied to attract her and only her. You should be happy that your search is over."

~~~
Word count: 1830
© Copyright 2014 Wanderer (fergirl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1985388-Sugar-for-Blood