*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1985860-Dream
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1985860
Prompt: The Easter Bunny brings something special for each person.
Amy slept peacefully among her mess of covers and pillows. All was still and quiet in the night as a tendril of fog oozed slowly out from under a crack in her window. It gathered in strength and made its way down and around the base of her bed.It eased its way up and over the abundance of blankets and reached for her face with its phantom-like fingers.

A swirl of images flew through Amy's mind. She found herself standing under a large tree and gazed curiously at the still fog surrounding her feet. She moved forward and watched the fog swirl and billow from the disturbance. As if awakened, the fog in front of her started to move, it danced as it revealed a winding dirt path. Intrigued, she stepped forward. Her bare feet padded lightly on the soft ground as she quickly walked the path.Then, softly, she heard a man call her name.

"Amy."

She whipped around, "Who's there?"

She could not see anyone, only trees and fog. Her heart raced as she pulled her long brown hair over the front of her shoulder and absentmindedly twisted it, as she always did when she was nervous. She turned back to the path in front of her and heard more voices, but this time they sounded like they were actually coming from somewhere. She hurried towards them and found herself in a clearing with others.

I can't see them, She thought as she squinted against the fog that was no longer hovering over the ground.

She stepped closer and a hushed silence fell over the clearing. She opened her mouth to speak, but nothing came out. As she walked even closer, the fog lifted and revealed 4 wooden chairs.

That's my chair, I know it! Mesmerized by it, she took her seat.

Others sat next to her, but before she could speak to them a light drew her eye to a table about 6 feet in front of them. The top was smooth and white that sat on a thick grey base. Amy leaned forward in her chair.

Are those eggs?There were small colorful egg shaped objects surrounding the base of the table. She sucked in a breath, they're everywhere! The objects stood out starkly against the dark brown ground around her.

Where's the grass? She wondered as she looked around.

Movement from the other side of the table caught her attention. Slowly a figure appeared. Amy frowned and rubbed her eyes, but the thing standing in front of her was still a rabbit. A large rabbit. It twitched its nose and flicked its whiskers as it sat a rather large basket on top of the table. It studied them with its dark amethyst eyes. Amy cocked her head to the side.

I've never seen eyes like that. She watched in wonder as his ears twitched and his eyes searched. It was time.

She stood with the others and made her way delicately around the eggs below her. Her pulse quickened as she stopped at the table. The rabbit was so close now. She could see the gold flakes in its large beautiful eyes. She looked down at the large wicker basket in front of them.

"Treats? They're so big!" She said aloud.

One in particular drew her eye. One of the others next to her took the large gum ball, another took the big square candy and the other took the oversized chocolate bar. The one left was a large wax bottle.

It belongs to me... Just like those belonged to them... I don't know why, but it's right. Taking a deep breath, she reached into the basket for her wax bottle.

She looked up at the rabbit. It nodded its head in approval and turned back towards the woods. She looked down at the wax candy in her hands. Her bottle had a thin blue ribbon wrapped around it. She glanced over at the others and saw that they too had ribbons. She looked down at her wax bottle and pulled the delicate ribbon free. A slight breeze touched her face.

Slanted gold letters read, Drink me and you will find a love, that once joined, will release waves of change. Amy's eyebrows shot up.

She turned towards the guy next to her, "What does yours say?"

He looked at her, "Eat me and you will find strength, once realized, that will help them rock foundations." He smiled, "Yours?"

Amy blushed, "Oh, just something about love."

One of the others read his aloud, "Eat me and intelligence, once gained, will help them overcome vast obstacles." He turned to the woman next to him.

She read, "Eat me and find guidance, once known, that will lead them to where they need to go."

"So who's they?" Amy heard one of them ask.

She took a step forward when she realized that she could actually see them and heard a crack from under her foot. She gasped and bolted up-rite in her bed. Bright, golden rays of sunshine hit her face and she groaned.

It's already morning? She felt tired and half expected to see eggs on her floor as she stepped from the bed.

The Easter Bunny, really? She laughed.

She reached for her bedroom door and paused at the knob. To her surprise a small wax candy bottle sat on her dresser. She frowned and remembered the strange words from her dream.

"I will find love?" Amy smiled, "So be it!" She grabbed the little candy and popped it into her mouth.

~~~
Word count: 928

















© Copyright 2014 Wanderer (fergirl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1985860-Dream