*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1985931-Reflections
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Horror/Scary · #1985931
First short story submission.
Reflections

I woke up this morning, the alarm going off at 6am. I turn to my right hand side and turn the mobile alarm off. Roll to the left, get out of bed and turn the alarm off on the dresser under the mirror. Was about to walk out of the door, ignoring the feeling that something wasn't right, and heard a voice that stopped me dead in my tracks:
"So, you're finally awake."
My voice. But it couldn't be. I looked around the room, nothing seemed out of place, and brushed it off as tiredness. My eyes went to the dresser. Need my hairbrush. I thought to myself. Found it, picked up the brush and started tidying up my hair. Bed hair is not a very good look these days. Or so they say, anyway. Never really cared about that in the past, but sometimes it pays to look good when working. As I raise my head to look in the mirror, I froze. The reflection wasn't holding a brush half-way to its head. In fact, the only thing the reflection and I had in common was what we were wearing. It had been hot the previous night, and so I only had a light top on and underwear. Its arms were crossed in front of the chest, and I was pretty sure I wasn't smiling that way. A smile that didn't quite reach the eyes.
"What the hell?" I asked out loud. As soon as the words were out, I felt my mouth clamp shut and my arms lock to my sides. I couldn't move an inch.
"Right, as it's your first time, I'll forgive that transgression," it said. "This time. Next time, you will be punished. You must learn, very quickly, that from now on, you are my slave, and I am your master. In other words, you are now the reflection of me. I am now you. It's been a while since I've had a host, and a pretty one at that. Though you could stand to lose a little weight, but over time we'll take care of that. Nice room you... no, I have here. I'll start from the beginning.
"I am what is known in common circles as a 'Reflectioner.' There is a group of us going around, switching sides with a human. We're given information about our next host, and one month to study them and learn all about them. After that, we choose the right time to make the switch, usually when they're asleep, and away we go. I quite enjoy this, I think you're the 100th one so far. I lost count a long time ago. Your family is quite nice, a nice brother, his girl is really pretty, and your mother and father. They're going to be easy to kill. Oh and you have another too. Yes, she is going to be very easy. Oh but don't worry, I'm one of the more benevolent ones, don't like to make people suffer physically. Makes me angry, and that does not bode well to the host if I get angry. No, I'm more of a subtle, psychological kind of being, my way is slow yet painless. They won't know what's going on until the hit the ground! So much fun! And the best bit? You're going to be doing it! Oh come now, you'll get used to it. You're going to have to. You have no choice.
"Right, I think it's been about a minute now. Yes the mind meld should be complete."
Ah, I can move.
"Yes, you can move, only if I allow it."
My mouth is moving... speaking those words... no sound...
"That's right, you are my reflection now. You make no sound. Let's test movement, shall we?"
As the reflections left hand goes up, my right hand goes up. Right hand up, left hand up. Head turns, tongue pokes out, eyes blink. Only my mind works properly. No, no, no!
"Good, good. Everything is in order. Well, time to start the day. Remember, if you are good, obey without question, I may go easy on you. Don't make me angry, and you will live."
My body turns towards the door, my hand turns the door knob and... nothing. Darkness. That's it? Is my life over? Turning back to the bedroom reveals mirrors. Dozens of them. Big and small, each showing a different scene, outside and inside. I see people in the mirrors, walking around, free. Or are they? Have they been taken too, and how would I know?
Solitude.
Silence.

© Copyright 2014 Kathey30 (kathey30 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1985931-Reflections