*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1988188-My-visit-to-the-Hospital
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest · #1988188
Sally experiences a strange occurrence in the hospital
My Visit to the Hospital




I have read somewhere that out of the five senses hearing, sight, taste, smell and touch; hearing is the first that is felt when coming out of a deep sleep. Earlier in the day my appendix started bursting and so I was having emergency surgery to have it removed. It is not surprising the first thing I experience is sound while waking from my slumber. Shuffling, banging, ringing feels like everything is right next to my ear. The next one is sight except everything is so bright, a little bit too bright. It is like the colours have this glow of brightness around them, very unusual sight to see. Why is everything so loud and bright? There seems to be a tinge of blurriness with the bright, like it has mingled together somehow. No matter what words I use it does not seem to be an accurate description; I am left feeling that there is more than what I am seeing and hearing. I look down at myself and see I have a hospital blanket covering me.

Out of nowhere my body starts shaking like it is having seizure except, I am not sure what is happening. My heart is beating so hard in my chest it hurts. The pounding of my head is so intense I can't even think about what is happening. Ringing in my ears is intense. My whole body tensed right up and I feel like everything has locked in the current position I am in. I can feel my body moving up and down on the bed. The feeling of not being in control of my own body is scary. I hear a bustle of shuffling feet around me. I manage to glance up in front of the bed and I see a blurry pink and white figure at what looks like a brown blob which could be a desk.

I can hear voices around me. A woman says, "Doctor, you need to come down right, away."

I sat up and focused on the nurse, I see her putting the phone down. How did I manage to sit up when I couldn't move moments ago? This is very peculiar and the shaking continues. Now this made me worry. Why does the doctor need to come? What is happening to me? I felt a calming presence come over me and tell me to breathe in and breathe out. As I am doing this I lie back down and feel a warm blanket being thrown onto top of me. It almost felt like a massage with the warmth on top of my whole body. The strange part is every part of my body felt this warmth. I looked down at myself to see what kind of blanket they put on me; there wasn't a second blanket. This is odd. Too tired to contemplate much thought in this I lied back down on the bed and was glad I stopped shaking.

As quickly as the shaking began, it suddenly stopped for no reason that I knew of at time. The calm breathing must have helped except it didn't make sense to me at the time. I remember I am supposed to be getting my appendix removed. Did they do something else to me? I have heard of people going in for a simple surgery and waking up without a leg. I quickly looked and was relieved; my legs are still there and my arms too.

I see a nurse walk over to the desk. She picks up the phone and in the same voice I heard earlier says, "Doctor, everything is fine now. Yes."

Thinking back to what just happened I was confused by it all. A nurse comes over and sits in a chair by my bed. She leans over and says to me, "Sally, Sally, it is time to wake up. Sally..."

I think to myself well I have been awake this whole time. If you did your job properly you would have seen this. I can feel myself opening my eyes. This confuses me even further because I was so sure I was awake this whole time. Things are not as bright anymore and things look normal, the way they should. Confused, I say in a hoarse voice, "Thank you, for the warm blanket."

"Your welcome. You know all our patients get a blanket,"

"Someone warmed it up before it was placed on me," I insisted. Taking a look around I notice that in front of my bed is the nurse's desk.

The nurse tucks a piece of stray blond hair behind her ear and says, "We do not warm blankets up before we put them on our patients. Do you know where you are?"

"In the hospital," I replied in a voice I didn't even recognize, just barely above a whisper.

"Yes, now get some rest. Your surgery went well." The nurse gets up from her chair and walks toward the desk. She sits down starting her paper work.

After watching her work for a moment, I close my eyes, this thought hits me; I was outside my body.


© Copyright 2014 TJ Marie (snow_hawk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1988188-My-visit-to-the-Hospital