*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1988238-The-Family-Bible
Rated: E · Short Story · Comedy · #1988238
“Hey, someone wrote all over the pages of the Bible,” Tommy said.
The Family Bible

"Tommy!" Doris shook her head. Now, where has that boy gone off to now?

"I'm on the porch, Grandma." She heard his voice faintly from the front of the house.

"I've been looking everywhere for you," she said, pushing open the screen door. "What are you doing?"

Tommy sat on the stoop, head in his hands. "Nothing. There's nothing to do," he said with the certainty of an 11 year old.

Doris laughed. "Did you notice how worn that spot you're sitting on is? I'll bet there's been generations of young boys in our family who've sat right there and said the same thing."

Tommy's head came up, a look of curiosity in his eyes. "Really? Who?"

"Why don't you come with me? I'll get us some lemonade and show you."

Inside, Doris pulled down a huge book from the bookcase. "This is our family Bible." She opened the cover to show him the pages of handwritten notes.

"Hey, someone wrote all over the pages of your Bible," Tommy said.

"Yes, they did. This is how families used to keep records. I don't know how long this has been going on in our family but every birth, marriage, and death in our lineage has been recorded in this. It's our family's history. Go ahead, take a look while I go get the drinks. Just be careful; this goes back to our family's beginning."

Tommy began reading and leafing through the pages, trying to make out the names and dates. Something fell out and floated to the floor. Tommy picked it up. It was a leaf, yellowed and thin with age. "Holy Moly!" he shouted.

Doris stuck her head back in the room. "What's going on? Did you discover something?"

Tommy carefully cradled the leaf to show her. "I think it's Adam's underwear!"



Divider line



An entry for the April round of "The Humorous Short Story Contest [18+]
Word Count: 306

© Copyright 2014 🌕 HuntersMoon (huntersmoon at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1988238-The-Family-Bible