*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1989716-Family
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Family · #1989716
Tanner Jackson offers to look after his younger cousins whose parents have passed away.
Family


Tanner heard the front door open and was concerned when he only heard one set of footsteps after the door closed. He made his was out of the kitchen and disliked what he saw. Hunter walked through the door alone, no little brother in sight.

“Where's your brother?” Tanner asked harshly

“How the hell am I supposed to know?” said Hunter dumping his backpack onto the floor

“You're supposed to pick him up from school,” This was the forth time that Hunter had failed to pick up his little brother from school. It was beginning to concern Hudson's teacher, and Tanner couldn't blame her.

Hunter's retort back was interrupted by the phone ringing. Tanner shook his head at his cousin as he went over to pick up the phone. “Hello? Miss Williams, hi. I know, I know. I'm coming to pick him up right now. I won't, bye,” Tanner placed the phone down and turned back to his cousin.

“What?” asked Hunter, as if he didn't know what the problem was

“This isn't over, Hunter,” Tanner said, grabbing his jacket and putting it on

Hunter was already half way up the stairs “Whatever,”

Tanner sighed frustrated. It was getting worse with Hunter and Tanner was reaching the end of his patience. He understood that it was hard for him, suddenly having no parents and having to be looked after by his cousin. Hudson, Hunter's five year old brother, was too young to understand. He was no longer asking for his parents, probably because he knew that Hunter would yell at him if he asked any questions about them.

Tanner exited his flat and decided to walk to Hudson's school. Hudson was smart for a five year old, a little too smart. He was annoyingly cute too, even Tanner, who liked to consider himself immune to these sorts of things, had to admit. Hudson and Hunter's brotherhood was never strained when their parents were alive. They were very close, but something snapped in Hunter after the death of their parents. He was angry, and Tanner was at a loss as to how to help him. Hudson was scared of his brother now, and no child should feel threatened by someone who is supposed to love them.

Hudson and his teacher, Miss Williams, were standing at the front gates, her hand placed reassuringly on his back. A smile instantly broke out on Hudson's face, as soon as he saw Tanner approaching. “TJ!” he yelled running towards him.

Tanner kneeled down and scooped his baby cousin into his arms. “Hey, buddy. How you doing?”

“I thought you left me,” Hudson said, wrapping his small arms around his cousin's neck.

Tanner felt instantly guilty and hugged Hudson to his chest tighter “I'm sorry, baby. It's not going to happen again,”

“Be sure that it doesn't, Mr Jackson,” said Miss Williams, walking towards him.

Tanner was so focused on Hudson, he forgot that she was even there “I'm sorry, Miss Williams. His brother was supposed to pick him up again today. I think it's best if I pick him up from now on,”

Miss Williams' expression softened. She knew about what happened to his cousin's parents and how difficult Hunter was becoming. She was very supportive and had taken Hudson under her wing and Hudson adored her right back.

“Don't be mad, Miss Williams,” said Hudson as he laid his head down on Tanner's shoulder.

“Oh, I'm not mad, Honey,” said Miss Williams gently. Tanner doubted that. “I'm just worried, that's all,”

“I appreciate your concern, Miss Williams. It's been tough, but we're getting by. Aren't we, buddy?,” said Tanner, rubbing a hand comfortingly up and down Hudson's back.

“Uh huh,” Said Hudson tiredly, it had been a long day

Tanner noticed this and held out his hand to shake Miss Williams' one “Thank you. For everything. I better get this little guy home,”

Miss Williams shook his hand firmly. “It's no problem,” she said “If you ever need me, you know my number,”

“Thank you,”

She smiled warmly at Tanner before heading back inside the school.

Hudson was asleep by the time Tanner arrived back to their small house. When it came to Tanner's baby cousin, he turned into a very soppy individual, using endearments such as 'baby'. He couldn't help it, he felt like a father to his younger cousins, and he didn't mind taking that role even though it had its difficulties.

Tanner managed to open the front door without waking up Hudson and as soon as he stepped in, he could hear Hunter's music blasting away upstairs. He sighed knowing that Hudson would not be able to sleep if he was put upstairs. Instead, he lay Hudson down on the sofa.

Hudson was basically still a baby, and it was a lot of work to look after him, especially with no help what so ever from Hunter. Hudson still has his temper tantrums, likes to constantly talk, ask questions, sleep, play and is easily upset, just like many toddlers.

Hunter hadn't played an active role in his little brothers life since his parents passed away. Apart from when he attends school, he spends all of his time locked away in his bedroom, playing his music, strumming on his guitar or sleeping.

It had been a month since Tanner took away Hunter's laptop, television, games console and drum kit, in the hopes of drawing Hunter out of his room. That obviously didn't work, and Tanner still didn't know where he got that guitar from. If the guitar was stolen, Tanner really should be getting grabbing it and giving it back to its rightful owner. However,Tanner feared that taking it away from Hunter would set him off, and something very bad would happen.

Sighing, Tanner made sure that Hudson was comfortable before going into the kitchen to prepare dinner. It was fried chicken, mashed potato and carrots tonight, one of the few meals Tanner knew there weren't going to be any objections too. Apart from the carrots...Hudson wasn't too keen on carrots.

Deciding to cross that bridge when it got to it, Tanner set the timer on the oven before moving into the living room where Hudson was still sleeping. How he could sleep with the loud music blaring away upstairs was a mystery. Although he probably was used to it by now; it was now an everyday occurrence for Hunter to play his music after school for an hour or so before dinner.

Tanner leaned over Hudson to grab his Scooby Doo back pack. Digging through the contents, he pulled out the sheet of paper he was looking for. Miss Williams had taken to giving Hudson a list of books she thinks he'd enjoy. Hudson loved reading, it was a past time that he enjoyed immensely. He had quite a wide vocabulary for a five year old, but he always preferred it when Tanner read to him.

Looking through the list, Tanner noticed a pattern. The first book on the list was The Very Hungry Caterpillar, Tanner remembered loving the book when he was younger. The other stories on the list included My Zoo and Elmo... the pattern was animals. Animals were another thing that Hudson adored; Tanner would always try to organise a trip somewhere every couple of weeks where Hudson could see animals. Even just going on a walk around the block and seeing other people walking their dogs was enough.

If they had time for a pet, Tanner would have gotten Hudson something. Hudson didn't complain about not having a pet, most children did, whether through exaggeration, getting a lion or a tiger, for example, or the more believable like a dog, a cat or a fish. He seemed to understand that there just wasn't any time to look after a pet, maybe they could get a fish, but they're not much fun for a five year old.

Hudson shifted on the couch and Tanner placed a reassuring hand on his foot. He didn't settle down though; he opened his eyes and rubbed them with his tiny fists.

“Good nap, Hudson?” Tanner asked

Hudson yawned and looked over at him, recognition on his face “Fine,” he replied

“So, I looked through the list of books Miss Williams gave you. Would you like to go to the library to get them?” Tanner asked

Hudson nodded, not quite awake yet, if he was, he would have showed more enthusiasm.

“Okay, I'll give you time to wake up, buddy,” said Tanner. He got up to check the chicken in the oven and when he got back into the living room, Hudson was sitting up, waiting for his return. “Ready?”

“Yeah!”

That's the enthusiasm Tanner was looking for. “Go put your shoes on, you remember how to do it, right?”

Hudson looked at him with an expression on his face that could only mean 'Duh, of course I do,'. Tanner watched as his little cousin tied his own shoe laces. Hudson liked to be independent, he tended to get a little grumpy when someone does something for him that he knows or thinks he can do.

“Done?”

Hudson pulled his laces tight, and then stood “Done,”

Tanner opened the door, and the two of them walked to the library, relieved to be out of the noisy house.
© Copyright 2014 RBSupernatural (rbsupernatural at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1989716-Family