*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1989741-The-Caramel
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by afonte
Rated: E · Short Story · Family · #1989741
a little boy's joy
The Caramel

"If you can guess what I have in my pocket, you can have it."

Frederick was confused. Mama did not usually play games with him before her afternoon tea. Why was she doing this today?

"Come, Frederick. Pay attention to what I am asking. I have only a few minutes with you before nanny takes you to the nursery."

Anna was in one of her moods. This time of day she was usually brooding and smoking a cigarette while still wrapped in her blue silk dressing gown. She would be contemplating if she would go to the Opera with Countess V or to another soiree at the museum.

But today, she was flustered and more anxious than usual. Trying to quell some of the anxiety, she had decided to play a game with her son, distracting herself as much as amusing him. She should have realized that her complacent child was not inquisitive. Anything out of the ordinary usually caused him to withdraw--something she desperately wanted to avoid, especially today.

"Frederick. I will give you a hint. It's sweet and one of your favorites fresh from the kitchen. It is small enough to hold in your palm and lasts a long time on your tongue if you do not chew it."

Frederick considered the clues. But in truth, he was more entranced by the unusual glow in his mother's green eyes. Lately, he knew she had been crying in the evenings. He knew this because her cheeks were damp when she kissed him good night. But today her eyes glistened with what he hoped was happiness. Such a possibility was sweeter to him than anything she could be hiding in her pocket.

Still--the clues were unsettling. He did not know if he should play her game or run to grab his dusty plush bunny. He paused. He decided to risk it and play.

"A vanilla caramel?"

"Aha my brilliant boy! Yes, and it is freshly wrapped just for you."

Anna pulled the caramel from her skirt pocket and the yellow rapper crinkled between her delicately ringed fingers.

Frederick squealed and ran into her arms. The sweetness of the buttery sugar could not compare to his rare moment of joy with Mama.
© Copyright 2014 afonte (acfonte at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1989741-The-Caramel