*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1990077-Bitter-Blood-PrologueChapter-One
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Romance/Love · #1990077
Marya's entire focus is on one thing, the destruction of all vampires.
PROLOGUE
         Some worlds have very little magic or none at all, but there are those that have a good deal of magic. There are those worlds that are twisted and twined with threads of magic energy that connect and reach to every piece and soul in that world. In those worlds there are some who are able to tap the threads to create spells the spell they cast dependant on how much of the energy their soul is capable of withstanding. There are also some who are able to take hold of these threads and weave them into whatever they wish and for them it is a matter only of how much skill they have with weaving the threads that determines what they can and cannot do.
         Some worlds hold magic in the forms of minerals and plants. In these tools and potions are required to perform magic. Each mineral and each plant has specific magical uses and in many worlds that magic has been forgotten.
         In other magical worlds the magic is born in living things. Some are specific to certain animals and races, some can be passed by blood and in some those born with magic flowing in their veins is absolute chance. Some beings grow stronger with age and time, some simply with practice and some are born with great power.
         Venomira is one of the few worlds where all these forms of magic can be found, one without magic in their veins need only learn to weave the threads of magic woven through it or wield the magics inherent in the plants and minerals. Many races carry magic in their veins inherently and will pass at least a semblance of that magic on no matter how thin the race is in the blood. Those with elven blood and certain fairy blood are assured at least a small amount of magic. Vampires that are born and those who had power before they were turned are typically able to become more and more powerful over time. In fact, some of the strongest wielders of magic in Venomira are the ancient vampires who were born at the beginning of their race.
         One more thing to know about Venomira is that it is one of the few worlds where demons and angels walk openly among the population. Some fallen angels make their homes there and in many cases procreate with the native races. There are many too that carry demon blood in their veins as the demons tend to thrill in terrorizing the people of Venomira but none more than Mirayine. The Inflictor of Nightmares revels so much in the destruction of Venomira that her father, the master of hell, has given her special license in that world and she has long been known as the Demoness of Venomira.
         A dark shadow stood over one of the great manors of Venomira. He’d been more than willing to accept the charge of the Demoness to destroy this place and all within. The wind tossed his ebony hair as his mouth split in a wicked grin, displaying sharp fangs as he began to move forward.
         Within hours the manor was a smoldering pile of ash. The vampire, Alex Monter, stood over the ruined body of its master, his blade dripping blood. He wiped it on the grass and moved in search of any that might still remain alive. Only the servants were allowed to flee unharmed. Most of the family had perished. That seemed to include the one he’d most sought.  In her place he took one of the other young mistresses as his own.
         The Lady of the house managed to find one of her daughters and carry her into the safety of the forests before Alex could find them. Tears of fury slipped down her cheeks at the loss of her children. In that moment her heart became bitter and cold.
         As soon as her daughter was well enough she began to train her to hunt the blood sucking filth that remained in their world and all those connected. In the process she also trained into her the same bitter cold until both were consumed by the hunt and nothing else.









CHAPTER ONE
Marya felt a surge of adrenaline as she sensed the vampire that entered the tavern. She’d been hunting this one since he’d killed her mother months ago. She felt no real pain at the loss, only the disappointment of losing the only remaining tie to her old life. When she’d been young she’d lived a life of splendor and joy only to have it destroyed at the hands of one of them.
         Now she hunted the one that had taken the last of her family from her. He was not a born blood but it didn’t matter. Born blood or turned they were all the same ilk, all the same filth that must be purged from all the connected worlds like the parasites that they were.  She waited patiently for him to leave, her eyes taking in the drafty tavern and it's medley of patrons.
         A fire burned merrily in the hearth while a midnight fairy played softly on a stringed instrument. Serving woman and young bus boys bounced from table to table, clearing them and serving patrons. The taverns’ proprietor remained behind the bar fixing drinks. His red hair and ash colored eyes betrayed the fire elven blood flowing in his veins even before he started lighting fresh wall sconces with only a glance.
         Finally her prey prepared to leave, downing the rest of his wine as he stood. He slipped through the doors with a young girl in tow. Marya caught up just as he bent to take the girls life. Her blade slid neatly between his ribs and pierced his black heart. He fell to the earth, blood spilling into the grass as she relieved him of his head. The innocent stared up at her, eyes widened in horror.
         Marya turned without a word and slipped into the night seeking further prey. She left the vampire bleeding into the earth. Her own blood surged hot with the thrill of the kill and it was not long before she caught the scent of another blight to be purged from Venomira.
         All through the night Marya continued to hunt beneath the soft glow of the moon. She exterminated no less than eight more vampires before she drew her hand up to protect her eyes from the rising sun. She swung up into the trees and hung her pack from a short branch within reach. Drawing her cloak tight she leaned her back against the trunk and closed her eyes. Nightmares of her family’s ruin plagued her as always.
         The next night brought more of the same, and the next. Each kill was as easy as breathing for Marya. Most had been turned between the age of 16 and 25.  Most born to the race ceased to age somewhere in that range. There were some older and a few quite a bit younger. Many times she’d been given horrified looks as she brought down filth that had the appearance of small children. Those looks were always replaced with comprehension when the child rose from her first strike with eyes flashing and fangs bared. Many that she saved by chance gave her coin or food in thanks. She kept them only because it meant she need take less time to hunt for food, giving her more to hunt her preferred quarry.
         Though she spent her sleeping hours in the forest, there were times she found need to go into the towns for supplies. Most often she made such trips seeking blacksmiths and fletchers, occasionally to buy new leather for cloths when those that she carried became too worn. One cycle of the moon passed from the time of her mother’s death before she went into one of the towns in search of something beyond prey. She was running short of arrows and carried enough gold on her to purchase them rather than waste time crafting them herself. She found a decent Fletcher easily and made her purchase before heading toward a small tavern where she could get a hot meal. The stew turned out to be more than worth the side trip.
         As Marya was making her way out of the town she caught the scent of a vampire and smiled to herself. She easily followed her senses into the sleazier part of town onto one of the streets that were lined with cheap brothels. Unhoused prostitutes loitered, watching for possible customers. They stood leaning against lampposts or posed near the walls of those establishments that would allow it. Men slipped in and out of the buildings glancing from side to side as if not wishing to be noted.  Marya paid little thought to any of this, though she did pause to toss the remaining coin in her purse to a younger looking girl, advising her to use it to get off the streets.
         She found the creature she sought on the end of the street, posed enticingly against the gate into one of the pleasure houses. She seemed suddenly aware that danger approached her and darted into the shadows of an alleyway. Marya shook her head as she followed, her hand resting on one of the slim daggers at her hip.
         To anyone else it would seem the woman had vanished. Marya was not so easily fooled by such a simple illusion and made short work of the vampiress. She searched her person for anything that might come in handy and then left her lying there in the alley’s filth. From there she made her way out of town as the first signs of dawn began to show on the horizon and found a suitable perch to sleep.
         The surprise was the night she walked into a tavern to discover that’s its keeper was a vampiress. When she moved to attack the woman the majority of the room stood in defense. She glared at them all, most of them mundane and only one of them another vampire. She demanded why they defended such filth.
         “Filth? That woman you are so intent on “exterminating” has nearly starved herself many a time because she refuses to drink blood without being forced to it,” one man spat. “I myself have had to slit my own wrist and force her to drink when she was holding on by barely a thread and not one of us will have dirt like you destroy her.”
         The parasite flushed deeply, although how anyone could tell with the feverish color that already stained her cheeks was a wonder. She said not a word at first, staring at Marya for a long moment. When she spoke her words were soft and filled with regret. “Many of us do not choose this life and just as many hate what we have become more then you could ever hate us yourself. If you’re hatred is so great then I am sorry that someone has wronged you that much.”
         Marya spat before turning and leaving the tavern behind her. If they wanted to become the cattle of such hell spawn then it was their choice. She would not risk her own hide to teach them something they should already know.

The Full Book is Available on lulu and soon to be available on Amazon in hardback, paperback and ebook formats
Hardback: http://www.lulu.com/content/14688449
Paperback: http://www.lulu.com/content/14689226
© Copyright 2014 M Farrell (dreamrider at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1990077-Bitter-Blood-PrologueChapter-One