*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1991518-Flash-Fiction-5152014
Rated: E · Fiction · Other · #1991518
300 words or less with the quote "don't let them in."
"Can you see it?" The silver haired girl pointed up towards the center of the dome.
"It's the Combination."

I frowned. "Sorry Ralyn, I don't get it. It's just a ball of light."

We stand in a wide metallic platform with a single control panel surrounded by a large glass dome.

The blue light of the sky around us reflected off the crystal ring on her hand as she slowly placed it over her face and spoke with impatience. "Geeze Max. Paying attention isn't one of you’re strong points I take it? The Combination is a collection of micro-entities that come to harvest the materials left over after a new world is born."

“Ooh now I see.” I started pacing as I tried to figure this out. “So once the world is visible to the naked eye, it’s practically complete.”

“…Basically.” Ralyn—I sometimes just call her lynn for short—seemed like she wasn’t even sure, but I was ready to go home and our job was to let the combination light whatever know when it was time for them to start on cleanup duty.

"Cool, so we're good then." I hit the switch to open the glass dome to let the light ball in.

"NO!" She shouted. ”We’re not!” She quickly hit another switch on the control panel. "Don't let them in!" The force of the dome slamming shut shook the entire structure causing everything to go red for a moment. When my vision cleared, I saw the ball of light disperse into what had to be thousands no, millions of tiny particles scatting in several directions.

"This world's still being built. If you let them in now, they might consume the entire thing." She explained, a scowl forming on her face.


© Copyright 2014 5th Dimension Dreamer (dreamcore018 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1991518-Flash-Fiction-5152014