*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1996612-The-White-Cottage-Ghosts
Rated: 13+ · Other · Horror/Scary · #1996612
Its a blod curdling story , it will leave you freaked out but wanting more at the sametime
         Story of my life

Author Joseph mungai

Edited 22-05-2014,

I am just a young writer , trying to put down my thoughts in writing .  This will be my first book ever in history . It means a lot to  me  , so probably you may find it different with the other books you've read. I mostly choose to write a fiction book because , I am always full of fantasies. I believe am a creative writer . I hope you enjoy walking through this journey of adventure with me as you read  through the thrilling story . It will send cold chills down your spine and leave you shaking , and freaking out but wanting more .

I was inspired by a few friends of mine to start writing books after they discovered my creativity . I have always wanted to write a book of my own before I die . I hope this won't be the first and the last . I would like to thank my family and friends and everyone else who saw the gift in me and encouraged me to take a leap of faith .

This is to all the young writers who are thinking or may have started writing their own books . Do not lose hope , if I did , you can also do it. So long as you are dedicated and have the passion which will act as your drive towards completing your first book .

This book is not be copied by anyone else without the authors permission .Legal action will be taken against those who will violate this right .















I was born in 1993, 25th April from two parents Rose Ann Wembley and Davis MaCoughling . My parents lived in a cottage by the name , White Cottage . The cottage was situated in an isolated environment full of trees with a few natives living across it . The type of weather was a quiet one , one could only hear , the sounds made by the birds and the grasshoppers during the day , during the night you'd only hear the bats and the crickets chirpings. During the full moon , you'd hear the wolves howling  . The cottage was creepy and unique in its own way . A lot of tales had  been told about this certain cottage.  Tales that left a lot of kids and adults frightened. They were even warned of associating with other kids who came from the cottage.

It was during the winter spell when I was born . It's always chilly during the winters , there is always snow everywhere . One could hardly tell the colors of the trees that were around . The rooftops and roads were all covered in snow. Some of the guests got lost on their way , this was because some were new to the area and  also there was the snow factor covering the road signs. Despite the cold weather I received a warm reception from everyone . I was ushered into the world  with great smiles and lots of joy .The atmosphere was full of love and enthusiasm, friends from all over had visited to see the new born child in town, who happened to be me . I was named after my Father's father, Harrison MaCoughlin.

Something happened that night, something odd, .  There was some strange glare in my eyes , they looked compelling ,they  were bright yellow like the daylight sun. I kept on crying and I couldn't stop , maybe it was some kind of predicament , maybe something awful was going to happen that day . No one could tell why I couldn't stop crying . My mother tried all her best but her efforts were all  unsuccessful.

That night after they laid  me down to sleep, a few hours later there was a sudden strong current that shook the trees so hard that its twigs consistently kept on thumping the window .  The night was darker than usual, the moonlight was not as strong as it has always  been , outside the window it was all dark , black and blue  .The window pane was not fully closed , there was some breeze that  could be felt from across the room , which turned the room into a freezer .  The branches formed disturbing images across the white curtain in my  bedroom . At one point there was a creepy image that had formed which petrified me to death , it even made me cry again and again. The creepy image looked inform of an evil grim reaper , with long hair, long nails, with some sharp canine teeth that we visible from the side view and lastly the creature had a crooked nose . The creature look like it was stretching its long hands towards me , trying to grab me .

The trinkets and bells that were hanging on my bed kept on whirling and making a lot of noise, something was not quit right about this night . Something strange was taking place , I had no idea what it was but it sounded evil .  I waited for too long for something bloodcurdling to happen but nothing happened . Finally sleep caught up with me and I was carried away.

11 yrs later , I was now in the sixth grade , a bit matured and kind of handsome . I had made a few friends in school and I enjoyed life with the little things it had to offer .  so it happened that I was in school and I was having this weird feeling . I kept on day dreaming in class and every time the teacher would  call out my name and I would come back to my senses.  During my last class , I feel into a deep sleep , it was like a full dose of the days I  had slept late playing video games . I had this weird dream , I was at home and I was having dinner with my family . Dinner time was the time we had to talk and discuss how the day had been . We also played a few games, joked around and then finally do the dishes and go to sleep.  When I was asleep, suddenly I had the same feeling that I had 11 years ago; the night was dead silent as a graveyard. This night the owls, crickets and bats didn't make any sounds. Normal nights are full of animal noises and stuff, but this kind of night it was different, it was chilly and windy.

The moonlight rays were penetrating through my white curtain with a few shadows from the trees across my room. Again the windowpane was slightly opened and the wind was blowing and the curtains kept on gliding in the air making noise. Strangely enough an image started forming through my curtain. There was some projection of some weird looking guy, same image I had seen 11 years ago. This time the image was not stretching its hands towards me, it was trying to open then window. I laid still, quivering and scared to death almost having a panic attack. I was sweating continuously and breathing very hard. I couldn't open my eyes wide enough to see the image clearly, but I could tell it was a male figure.

The man, made his was way through the windowpane. I did not move a muscle nor make any sound; I acted like I was totally dead. The man came in, looked around in the room as if he had been there before. He was sniffing the room and my stuff; he was a weird looking guy with long hair and pale. I couldn't see his face clearly because of the weak moonlight rays that penetrated through my windowpane.  The guy was done with my room and he was heading to the other rooms. He went to my parents room, looked around after that he also went to the kitchen and then lastly he came back to my room.  He sniffed around once again and called out my name three times before making his exit through the window.

In a blink of an eye I had a certain bang and my name was called out once again, this time it's sounded so real . It was like I was not dreaming anymore , I slowly opened my eyes. Fortunately this time it was my Spanish teacher waking me up and not the weird creep. She was an old lady in her mid forties who was hot tempered and never liked it when students joked around. She had blues eyes and she always looked cold hearted . Whenever one did something wrong she'd always give them some weird stare that made her look like a witch . I looked frightened as if woken up from my worst nightmare which it was indeed. My eyes were litmus red  and my face was pale  filled with wrinkles formed due to the way I was sleeping . Unlike the other days , this time she showed a little compassion to me . She knew something was troubling and I needed someone to talk to .She asked me to go wash my face and come back to class. As I was washing my face, I kept on wondering if I was dreaming or it was something real that had happened in the past and is destined to happen again in the future . The dream was so vivid; I couldn't tell what it meant. Maybe it was another predicament of something bad to come in the near future .

After class , my Spanish teacher asked me to remain behind . I was seating a few meters from her , she asked me to come closer . She asked me what was going on at home , she thought maybe my parents' relationship was affecting me . She thought of it that way because many children who show some strange signs and symptoms in their behavior is due to the fact that  all mannerism starts from home and all this could be traced  through the parents  .She was so worried about my wellbeing more than ever , it was not some act she managed to pull out from the blues . Her acts and compassion were true and genuine . I wanted to tell her that I had been having this strange nightmare , whereby there's a ghost in human form that was reappearing in my house as if looking for something  it had at one time and then lost it  . Something made me hold back and act as if I was okay and nothing was really bothering me . Mrs. Carolina our Spanish teacher knew I was holding back a lot of things from her , but she respected my opinion and she released me . Before releasing me she told me if I had anything to share , I should always feel free and walk into her office anytime .

On my way back home  I kept on thinking about it again and again , the nightmare got stuck in my mind . I couldn't think of anything else . At one point I walked across the road without even checking for any cars , the thoughts had taken over my mind . I almost got hit by a heavy truck carrying timber  when an old lady yelled at me , "hey ,young man watch out for the truck ."

Finally I was home , there was no one around . My mom was still at work and so was my dad . I switched on the TV then went to the kitchen to get some cereals and milk , I was starving to death , and it was the only meal I could think of at the time because it was easy to prepare .  As I was preparing the meal , I noticed that the TV's volume was getting louder and louder .  I thought there's something with it so I went and reduced the volume then went back to the kitchen . After walking a few steps , I had the channels flipping . I got a little bit scared  and nervous so I decided to switch off the TV .  Until then  I had nothing to worry about . Maybe there was a ghost in our house but I never wanted to think of it that way . This was because , I have never believed in superstitions . I never believed that ghosts existed , I found it illogical and stupid when other kids in school talked about ghosts . whenever such talks would come up , I would get bored easily and walk away . This made other kids believe that I was actually scared of ghosts that's why I never talked about them and whenever people talked about them I walked away .

My parents always wondered why , I was never scared of the dark like normal kids . They thought I was a freak . So after switching off the TV , I sat with my bowl of cereals in the living room. Having a quiet and peaceful evening when I suddenly heard a loud bang from the upstairs . It was a sound made from a slammed door .  I  was scared to the point that my hair erected , my blood became cold , my heartbeat increased  and I started breathing harder I could barely catch a breath . My legs were wobbling  , my teeth were clutching and my hands were shaking . The bowl of milk and cereals that I was holding fell on the floor .  I looked liked a rained on chicken , I could not stop shaking , I was sweating so bad that my clothes started dripping . My mouth was wide open with thoughts racing through my mind faster than I could process any of them . I couldn't tell what was happening .

That was the  day I came to believe that I was living in a world of denial , I have never been so wrong in my whole life  like that day . This particular event forced me to believe that ghosts actually existed , I felt so deceived . I lived my whole life believing that ghosts did not exist , when  they actually do . I thought maybe I was dreaming ,and somehow someone somewhere will eventually wake me up . Nothing of the sort happened , I sat still on the couch looking confused . I knew this was just the beginning , something more dreadful would happen .  after a few minutes nothing suspicious happened , so I gained some courage and walked upstairs to check out happened . I was tiptoeing quietly  like a coyote hunting down its prey ,  as I looked back and forth as if waiting for something to happen . We had a wooden staircase which would make some cracking sounds whenever anyone would go up or even go down . I got there and surprisingly enough , the door to my room was the only door that was closed . I opened the door at a snail's pace and warily to see what had caused the slamming of the door . The window was closed , checking on the outside there were  no signs of the wind blowing . It was just the beautiful sunset view . The  clouds had turned into a mixture of yellow and  orange fluffy  wools , while the brightly  yellow  colored sun sunk in the clouds  as every second, every minute every hour passed by .

The beautiful view made me smile and think maybe after all everything happens for a reason and the slamming of the door couldn't have happened without any reason . I was getting my hopes high and convincing myself that there was nothing to worry about . Suddenly my alarm clock started ringing , and the portraits that were hanging on the walls started falling . I started feeling  a sharp deafening  sound coming from all corners of the room . I felt a sharp pain in my ears , which made me fall on the floor with an excruciating pain . I tried covering my ears but the sound was still penetrating through my hands .  The door to my room slammed again , I woke up and tried to open .  I kicked the door and I knocked it hard as I called out for help .

My parents were coming from work when they heard me yelling from inside the house . My mother dropped the groceries she had carried with her and on the spur of the moment rushed in the house as my father headed to the basement to get his shotgun .  Finally my parents had come to my rescue , the door was opened and I was lying down on the floor . I had gone through a mental torture for almost three hours . I was looking terrified . I couldn't  stop quivering , I had sweat all over my clothes . My skin was so pale , I looked like a zombie that had awakened back from the dead . I could not talk , I held on tight to my mother . I couldn't let  go off her  . They tried finding out what had happened but I couldn't talk . They covered me up in a blanket and gave me some water to gulp .

They took me downstairs and placed me on the couch and made a phone call to a doctor . I needed some immediate attention from the doctor because I was suffering from fever . My temperature was falling and I was sweating continuously . My parents looked nervous , they have never seen me in such a condition . They wondered what happened while they were away .  After a few hours darkness had engulfed and the doctor arrived .  I  was examined and the doctor found out , I was suffering from fever and shock .  The doctor recommended that I should take some rest and keep my body warm .

After the doctor left , dinner was prepared and it was ready . By this time, I had recovered from the shock but not fever . I was able to talk , now the problem was how I was going to explain it to my parents and make it more realistic and not something cooked up .I  couldn't find the correct words to express myself . I decided to give it a shot , hoping that they would believe me . After telling them everything , my mom held my hand and said  that every kid has such experiences  and that there was nothing to worry about . I expected much more from my parents but not just some mere talk and telling me that everything would be fine . They had no idea of what I had gone through , so the next day  they arranged a meeting for me and my therapist. They thought what I needed more was some to talk to and share what I was going through .  After my morning classes , I was picked up by my dad and dropped me at the clinic . He had asked for permission from his workplace so , he waited outside as I was been attended to .  My parents had explained earlier  to the psychiatrist what had happened in relation to my story . " Did it really happen  ?" The doctor asked me . I told him yes , it's true I had seen the ghost before and also went ahead and described the mystical events that were taking place .  The therapist acknowledged that ghosts do exist , sometimes people with unfinished business do  come back. Some come back with good intentions others with evil intentions . It was on rare occasions such things would happen .

The therapist assured me that there was nothing to worry about as long as I wasn't physically attacked . I felt some kind of comfort as I talked to the therapist , at least  I found someone who understood what I was going through . We shared a lot but unfortunately there was no enough time .  I was taken back to school by my dad and then he left  .  During the second break , one of my friends called  Rawiyah Malik approached me and asked me what was going on with me . It was quite easy for her to notice when I was happy and sad . This was because  she was one of my best friends I trusted , I told her everything about me , and so did she . Rawiyah was a light skinned  girl, with long hair , sexy blue eyes and a cute jagged nose . I knew I could trust her so I told her all about it , she broke into a sarcastic  laughter and then apologized . I begged her not to tell anyone else about it , a few hours later the whole school knew about  it and everyone was now making fun of me. I was a laughing stock the for the entire day .  People mocked me , some even pretended as if they were seeing ghosts , others  pretended that they had the ability to talk to ghosts . I took it easy  and decided to go see my Spanish teacher instead of going to have lunch with a bunch of mockers . Before getting in the room , I heard Miss Carolina our Spanish teacher talking to herself  inside the room. I knocked and got in , she gave me a warm smile and asked me to sit-down.

I immediately opened up to her and told her everything I was holding back from telling her the other day.  She asked me a few questions which left me wondering . She asked me how long I  have been experiencing this kind of nightmare , how long  have we  been living in that  house , what was the background of the house we are living in , do we know the people who lived there before ? After the lunch break was over , I left for my next class . The afternoon class was quite interesting we were having history class . The class was about the civil war and were debating about what caused the war , its impact and decline .  The class spared me all the misery I was going through , I felt kind of easy and composed .

A few hours later it was time to go home , and I was on my way back home with my  two friends Rawiyah and Mehreen . Anyone watching us from a distance would think we were crazy , we used to fool around and laugh aloud like we dint care  who was watching us .  We always felt comfortable around each other , nothing could separate us.  We would always get in trouble several times , we would take each others' fault , we would get mad at each and still remained friends . We valued each other so much that it hurts . We were always there for each other . I think we stood for the vision of love.

Going home after school was the best part of the day I enjoyed and waited for impatiently  , but this particular incident started making me hate going home .  Whenever I thought of home , I felt sick and terrified . Time came and I parted ways with my friends and I was left alone , in a path full of tree with some cold breeze . One could  hear the trees whistling as the birds' sang  their song .  There was this weird black crow which was spoiling the soothing rhythm  the birds made .  I felt like I was heading to hell , the place itself looked like hell .  Finally I got home , this time I never got in . I decided to sit outside and wait till the time my parents would come.  What  I had gone through the previous day was enough , I didn't want any more of it.

Darkness was taking over the daylight  and I was wondering what time my parents would arrive . With them around I felt much comfortable and less worried . A few hours later they arrived and I got in with them . Dinner was prepared and in a few minutes it was ready . We discussed how the day had been and then they were on my case. They asked me how I was feeling and if I wanted more sessions with the therapists but I said no .  We were all done for the day and I went straight to my bedroom . I turned off turned off the lights and covered myself . The bed was a bit  too cold , but with time it got warmer as I slept through the night . It  was around midnight , when I heard something hit the window to my room . I stood up and went to check what it was , as I was looking through the window a crow from nowhere came hitting my window  and then fell and then another , and another one . No,  this was not a coincidence I told myself  . Once again I started freaking out , I started breathing hard .  What did the crows want from me , what were they symbolizing ? A lot of questions ran through my mind .

All of a sudden the crows went away and then something else happened . I turned back and I couldn't imagine what I saw .  It was something out of the ordinary , something my eyes had a hard time starring and forming a clear image of what it was. It was the ghost of a young girl , with long hair in a white gown with  glowing  white eyes ,standing  about an inch away from me . The ghosts barely had any flesh on it , one could see some skeletal bones which were visible especially on her jaws .  I was scared out of my skin , I felt weak and paralyzed . I thought I was losing my mind , this time I didn't scream . I starred at the ghost in disbelief while shaking and sweating .The ghosts was starring directly at me , I wondered what it wanted from me . In a blink of an eye the ghost disappeared  before I could even alter a word.  I went back to bed and covered myself , I held my beddings so tight . No matter what happens next , I was not going to get out of my bed nor peep .  I was going to lie still until morning comes . That night the night was longer than usual, probably this was because I was so scared . This one of those creepy nights that made it  longer than usual .

Morning came, and the sunlight rays were hitting my blinds so hard that they penetrated through my eyelids . I could tell it was morning because of the reddish color that formed  in my eyelids . I was glad that finally , the night was over . I got up and prepared to go to school , on my way there . I told my mother that I had seen a different ghost last night .

She pulled over the car ,  she looked worried . She placed her hand on my head rubbing it back and forth . She asked me what was going on with me . She even suggest her next actions .  I was given a few choices to make either to continue seeing the therapist , or going to see a priest or an exorcist.  She thought maybe some kind of evil power was trying to poses me .  The priest it is , I made my choice . I wanted to try out something new , I wanted to see how a priest would reason out with me . An appointment was made and we embarked back on our journey to school .  We spent the rest of it not speaking to each other , not that we were mad at each other . We all had our own thoughts to process . My mom was probably thinking of what was going on with me and what she could possibly do . As I was thinking how the priest would deal with such an issue . Mostly I was eager  to know if priests' believed in ghosts or are they just demonic powers which most people prefer to use the word ghost.

It was a normal day for me and probably the other kids who had nothing to worry about .  The day looked promising , I had a feeling that something good was going to happen that day . Somehow I felt happy for no apparent reason .  The day was over and nothing good had happened . I was picked from school by my mother and we headed straight for the cathedral . Though my family was not so religious , my parents thought maybe it might help . We were always going to church twice or once in a month then suddenly we stopped completely . I didn't know why but I never bothered asking my parents why we stopped .

On our arrival , we were received by Father Francis from Italy  , he was the head of the cathedral church  .  He was an old looking man , full of wrinkles in his face , always wearing a smile on it .  He was wearing a black gown , with a white patch on its collar and a purple cap on his head . He  was an elderly man , probably in his sixties .  He greeted us in the lord's name with his  hoarse voice as he coughed .  We slowly followed his lead , he was walking in a slow pace because he had no much strength left in him . He lacked an upright posture , he walked with the aid of a stick .  Father Francis had spent his entire life serving God , my parents knew him since they were young . It was  where their parents took them and they got to meet  .  So I guess after all God rewards His faithful servants .  I was blessed with wonderful parents who have lived together for thirty years . They had their ups and downs but never gave up on each other .

This day was my day , I wondered what God had install for me . We all sat down in a circular manner . We were first led into a prayer by Father Francis , then after my parents explained what was going on . I was also asked to verify if it was true and I added some details .  Father Francis looked a bit worried and taken aback . He told us that such a thing would only occur if the house we live in was haunted  . He even told us , there might be a possibility that  something bad happened in that house .  He concluded by saying  that maybe , that's ghosts might be warning  of something , or protecting something that still belongs to them or even trying to tell us what actually happened . Father Francis had dealt with such cases before and he was quite familiar of what he was talking about .

We all left the church quietly and headed straight to the car . On our way home we passed through some grocery stores  to buy things for dinner . It was late in the evening , a lot of people were heading home so the streets were kind of empty . Only a few people could be seen getting in and out of stores .  On our way back home there's a dark path which leads to our house which we always use and  a few other people from the cottage . The path always looked creepy , there were some tall trees  and some vegetations from the sides .  The path had some two parallel lines made by the tire marks from the cars

On your way inside the cottage , there is a huge black gate which is always wide open . At the top of the gate there are two lions made of steel on each edge . The two lions have their mouths open , inside their mouths there were bright yellow light s.  I have always wondered what the two lions symbolized . Could it be that , anyone who walked inside the cottage was walking inside a lion's den, could it be a trap , could it be a death cage ? No one ever knew what the lions symbolized . Now all this made sense , I now understood why place had a bad reputation , why people never wanted anything to do with anyone who came from the cottage  .

As we drove through the path ,  from a distance we could something floating in the air . As we got nearer and nearer to the scene , we saw it was a young boy hanging from a tall tree . The tree looked old , with dry branches .  The person hanging on the tree looked pale , his eyes were short of blood , his veins were protruding . He looked like he had died ages ago , suddenly we started hearing some cracking sound . In a blink of an eye the dead body fell on our car .  The dead body was not just a dead boy , it was a dead boy in form of a ghost . He started through the front window as he smiled . We  were all freaking out , screaming  and yelling . My mother reversed the car and  then engaged the forward gear and proceeded with a neck breaking speed .  Not a single moment was the speed reduced , we got home and rush inside the house my dad been the last one to get in .  My parents were shocked beyond their imagination .  We were all shaking and talking repeatedly of what had happened .  In my mind , I knew now my parents  at least had an idea of what I  was going  through .  An hour later we sat down to have our dinner .

For the first time , we  prayed together before going to sleep .  The next morning as my dad and I drove to school , we saw a large mass of people standing outside our neighbors house having some serious talk . My dad stopped by and went to check what was going on . He instructed me not to leave the car until he comes back .  The was something bad that happened that night , our neighbors were visited by some unwelcomed ghosts . it occurred that our neighbors wife was possessed by demons during the night . She took a knife and wanted to kill his husband when his husband tried to protect himself and the wife , he accidentally killed her . The husband had thought by chocking her wife , he would also be chocking the demons and that they would finally live her alone .  Her wife died and the ghosts departed from her . He then had some strange voice telling him , " tell the rest to live the cottage before we finish you all ".  A lot of people seemed to empathies with him , since we all knew that it could be true due to the fact that the cottage was believed to be haunted .  An ambulance was called together with the police officers, the man wrote a statement and later lived with the officers .

My dad and I went straight to school where he dropped me off then left for work .  Jus before the classes began , I met up with Rawiyah and Mehreen and told them what just happened back home . They were both shocked , they even wanted me to go live with one of them . They knew this thing was getting out of hand and soon it would come to affect me bad and they wouldn't bare losing me . I told them things were fine , but it comes to the worst , I will gladly ask for their help .  It was time to go to class so we headed straight to class .  During class time we would always sit next to each other and joke around and talk to each other when the teacher was writing  on the board .

We were learning about literature , the teacher was telling about different authors and their style of writing . He then explained the different types of books we have . Out of the blues he asked us if we believed in ghosts and why do some writers tell stories about ghosts . A few students raised their hands and gave their different opinions . I wanted to raise my hand to but something  stopped , there was a lot of debate going through my mind.  Suddenly one of the students said jokingly , "why don't we asked the  ghosts whisperer ." Everyone turned their backs and looked at me in a suggestive manner , the class was dead silent . Everyone was waiting to hear what I had to say .

I gathered my courage and stood up and said what I believed in . I told them that ghosts  existed but not to everyone , they choose who, when and where to appear . I concluded by saying , the writers who choose to write about such thrilling stories have had an encounter with them or maybe they just believe the exist . I sat down after finishing what I had to say .  A few minutes later it was break time .  Kids from my class came and stood around my desk , they wanted to know why at first I was denying the existence of ghosts . They wanted to know what made me change my mind . I knew how to play my cards well , I was not going to tell them anything . The moment I tell them the truth , the story would be stuck in everyone's mouth and I would be avoided  because they would think am a freak . So I decided to lie to them , I told them I read a few articles about it and watched some videos on youtube . I knew the people to trust , I only trust a few people whom I believed they would never sell me out no matter what . The day was over and I was heading back home with my friends . As usual we walked down the streets joking around as we told stories .  This particular day my friends had planned to surprise me ,I had no idea of what they were going to do . I knew something fishy was going on, they kept on giggling and whispering behind my back .  It came to the point where we always dispersed and everyone goes their own way, I told them goodbye and continued walking. I pulled  out my headphones and ipod  from the backpack I was carrying . I walked the rest of the journey listening to rock music .  The sun was still out but not that intense, its rays were fading away in the golden skies .

As I was walking, I noticed that there were two strange shadows following me. One of the shadows portrayed a  girl with long hair ,and a bit taller than the other . The shadows crept behind me and heed whenever I turned around . This couldn't be happening to me again , two things immediately struck my mind .  Either someone is trying to pull out some stupid prank on me , or the ghosts had decided to pay me an early visit . I couldn't stand the rigidity building up inside me, so I pulled out my ipod again and increased the volume. The volume was so loud to a point I couldn't hear myself contemplate. I continued rambling, then I decided to just suddenly turn back and see who was creeping behind my back. To my amazement it was my two best friends following me. They were shocked by my swift move, it was fast and unexpected, and they burst out in laughter.  I stood still wondering what was funny , was it that I was dumb enough not to notice that they following me or was it my empty look that made them laugh. I couldn't  understand why they laughed. If only they knew what was running inside my mind, they would stop laughing and instead be more remorseful.

Suddenly they stopped laughing and there was some weird silence between us.  To avoid the awkward silence, I enquired to know why they were creeping on me behind my back .  There was some sudden change in the mood and they all looked me, and then looked at each other. They mumbled some words which we not that clear. They sounded like they had something important to tell me but for some reason they were sacred of how I would react. Both Mehreen and Rawiyah did not maintain eye contact, they always did this whenever they suspected someone was furious, or maybe when they were hiding something from me.

They stood there, wondering who'll go first. Mehreen was somewhat more confident than Rawiyah, so she decided to tell me why they following me. They had it all mapped out three days ago, they had planned to ask me if they could come to my place but they suspected that I wouldn't agree. So Rawiyah suggest to Mehreen that they should follow me closely until they get to my place then ambush me.  It then hit me, even though they did something stupid. I shouldn't be mad at them, all they did was to try and walk together with me through my unbearable journey.  Besides it was a sign that they cared about me and they were willing to do anything for me. I smiled and hugged them both at once, but before embarking on the journey I had warned them of what was to await them. At first they looked sacred, but because of their lasting desire for an adventure they gladly agreed to go with me home.  They had informed their parents earlier that they wouldn't make it back home that particular day.

A few minutes later, we arrived . "once you come in , you will never be the same  again, " I said that in a deep scary voice while starring at the two lions with the wide open mouths .  They looked at me like I had lost my mind , I smiled back and asked  them not to freak out I was only joking . Mehreen punched me on the chest and told me that it was not funny . I continued laughing , I couldn't stop laughing . I liked it when my friends were afraid and I was not . I used that opportunity to frighten them and even tell them some scary stories about the cottage . I was now practically put them into my shoes , I wanted them to feel what I have been going through .



© Copyright 2014 Derrick Hill (josephmungai at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1996612-The-White-Cottage-Ghosts