*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1996628-Flash-Fiction-contest-piece-616
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Other · #1996628
Entry for 6/16 daily flash fiction contest.
I've been awake for hours. Well, one hour. I think. I have no idea. I've been lying still in my bed staring at the ceiling, too petrified to move.

Something is in my closet. Yeah, I know what you're thinking: "Grow up there is no such thing as monsters."

Oh yeah? Then whats been making those noises? Whats been making that scratching sound? About an hour ago I heard these bizarre noises in my room. Loud enough to jolt me awake, but soft enough that it didn't wake my family. I was left alone in my dark room to figure out what to do. What could I do?

Well I could lay here, try to sleep, and wait for it to come out of the closet and devour me. I don't like that option. Most people would not like that option.

I could hop out of bed and sprint to my parents room. They would calm me down, come to my room to help. But I could see it now, the monster hides from my parents and they dismiss this as one of my shenanigans or nightmares. Just like the movies.

I could also just open the closet and look. If its nothing, then I say I conquered my fears and go to sleep feeling like a hero. If it chases me, then I run to my parents. Seems like a nice plan.

I have to go to the door now.

Inching to the door, I hear soft flutters. Mustering courage, I yank open the door.....

Clinging menacingly to my hangar rail was an other worldly rodent. It was startled at the door moving and panicked. It's large ears and thin, fleshy wings made me recoil. As I caught my breath I realized it was actually quite tiny. A tiny bat had snuck through my window. Part of me kind of wanted a monster...
© Copyright 2014 Hero Heinrich (hilgy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1996628-Flash-Fiction-contest-piece-616