*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1996959-A-Fall-Day
by River
Rated: 13+ · Other · Contest · #1996959
A description of a perfect fall day
Fall is that beautiful point in time between a hot, muggy summer and a cold snowy winter. Nothing can compare to taking a leisurely walk in the brisk fall air, enjoying the colourful sights and fresh, woodsy scents that only exist for a short time.

I put on a warm sweater and some thick socks and set off for my walk, the leaves crunching beneath my feet. The sun feels warm on my back, but it is chilly in the shade. 

The most beautiful part of fall is, of course, the changing colour of the leaves. As I climb the path to the top of the hill, I pause to look down at the scene below me. Reflections of bright orange, deep crimson red and sunny yellow make the calmly flowing river blaze with colour.

Across the river I can see a large pumpkin patch, deep orange against the lush green hillside. There are hundreds of pumpkins growing in the patch.  Each year the farmer sells them to eager children searching for the perfect pumpkin to carve Halloween Jack ‘O Lanterns while their mothers select some to bake pumpkin pies.

Overhead, I can hear the raucous sound of the honking Canada Geese as they unite in v-formation and prepare to fly off to their winter destination.

All around me is beauty.  A movement at the edge of the woods catches my eye and I turn slowly.  A magnificent whitetail buck gazes at me for a moment or two before bounding back into the trees.

Sighing happily, I set off towards home anticipating the good smells that will be coming from our kitchen. A Thanksgiving turkey dinner will be the perfect way to end this glorious fall day!  I can hardly wait to taste the freshly baked bread, homemade applesauce, and my Grandma’s pumpkin pie. 


© Copyright 2014 River (riverbedwriter at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1996959-A-Fall-Day