*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1998561-The-Gown
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1998561
Story about a gown
Anna was in her bedroom dressing for the occasion when she heard the doorbell.
“Got it,” yelled Katie her 14 year old daughter passing the bottom of the open railed stairs. It was a beautiful tan colonial, trimmed in brown.
Jeremy worked hard to provide for his family. It had its cost. As a career marine, he was away from home much of the time – deployed in some foreign country for weeks on end.
The last time Anna talked to him on the phone, they argued. Katie wanted to dye her hair purple. Anna thought experimentation was good, Jeremy did not. By the end of the call, Jeremy agreed. She wished that they wouldn’t have fought over such a small issue. It was irrelevant now.
He should be home on leave for their fifteenth anniversary. Ten days ago, two Marines, in full dress uniform, came to their home. Seeing them through the side window as she approached the door, her quaking body found it difficult to turn the doorknob.
Anna heard the distinct closing thump of the front door.
"A package arrived for you," Katie said standing in the bedroom doorway. “You look beautiful.”
“Thanks Katie, I don’t feel beautiful,” Anna managed to whisper without breaking down.
Anna removed a small note from the box:

Anna,
I hope you like this traditional dress made by the locals here. It will look gorgeous on you when we go out next week. Sorry for arguing.
Love Jer

With tear-filled eyes, Anna took the colorful dress out of the box. It was beautiful. Anna and Katie held and consoled each other for several moments.

That evening, Anna danced by the fireplace in the study, with a picture of Jeremy in her arms and her head filled with sorrow, in the beautiful gown.
© Copyright 2014 Robert Kaine (kaine106 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1998561-The-Gown