*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1998721-Electronics-and-the-Future
by Damian
Rated: ASR · Other · Computers · #1998721
This is the future of technology in my perspective. Will we have flying cars in 2300?
Welcome


If you have read the first word on the screen, it means you've shown interest about what I'm about to tell you, simply by reading less than 110 characters about what this whole thing is about. So with that, I congratulate and thank you humbly for your interest. Now, for my rough prologue of what is to come in this... Documentary?

I will be discussing with you, the reader, my views on technology, including some conspiracy theories, facts of today's technology, and some plain common sense to foresee the future. And before you ask, no I am not a fortune teller and I do not know you own more than one shirt. Or do I? I'm sidetracking. Now without further ado, instead of lecturing about what this all about, I'm simply going to torture you with a history lesson. Hehe. >:)

The computer. Possibly the worlds greatest technological advancement ever created. We use computers for everything, from communication, to gaming and entertainment, to looking up something you have no clue about, to reading this story right now. We use these computers for everything. Obviously, there was an era when computers didn't exist. We'll duhhhhh. Allow me to tell you the first... Not necessarily classified as... Computer.

The first computer ever created does not even compare to the computers of today, but it sure as heck did wonders for the world. In the early 1800s, Charles Babbage, a philosopher and mechanical engineer, attempted to create a replica of what was known as, "The difference engine". This device was supposedly capable of computer many, many numbers and then creating hard, printed copies of the results. Hmm... Try Facebooking on that.

Due to a lack of funding for his invention, he could never create this difference engine. But... He didn't give up his idea quite yet. Babbage later in the late 1830s had come up with a mechanical revolution. The Analytical Engine. I'll just add again that this wasn't exactly created either. At least by Babbage anyways. Henry Babbage, his son, continued his work and only partially succeeded in his fathers work, the machine only performing basic calculations. Kinda like a gigantic calculator.

So you know where the idea came from. Is that all you should know?
Heck to the no! I'm going to continuously bore you with the history of stuff that actually interests me and I absolutely hate history! Call me what you like, I'm no history buff, I just happen to know a thing or two about the red wire and the green wire. Always cut the red wire. I digress.

There were many computers that operated similar to that of Babbage's invention. If you have read up to this long, I'll tell you now that the history lesson is almost over. In fact, before the computers of today, there approximately 12 more inventions were created in a period of 120 years. So that's what like...? 1 invention per decade.

The first commercial and could be considered computer of today wasn't exactly equivalent to our touchscreen laptop. In fact, that computer was a piece of crap. It didn't have internet, for starters. There were no games installed, there were no icons, nothing all that exciting. The entire screen was black with only a blinking white square at the bottom left corner of the screen. If you tried to type something, you would sadly fail. I guarantee it, unless you somehow know someone who owns one of these things. First of all, in order to type ANYTHING you had press the reset button on the keyboard. Now before I go any further, I must add that I am explaining the first computers released to the general public. Anyways, where was I? Oh yeah!

The machine was how you would imagine any old desktop. A hulking monster of cheap, tan plastic with an unnecessarily large tower and a monitor that has you thinking, 'Ohh that screen has gotta be pretty big' when looking at the back and then looking at the screen yourself and disappointedly say, "Nevermind." This thing had no mouse and your only operations were via the keyboard. And if you had someone who was not born before the era of these computers, chances are, every time the person attempts to type something in... "SYNTAX ERROR".

I'll simply add this. Have you ever used the command prompt on your PC? Yeah. Imagine that but a lot more flipping difficult to understand. Yawn! I'm tired of history darn it, but you deserve to know if you have read this far. To skip the rest of this history lesson type...
Skip Boring History Lesson

SYNTAX ERROR

please skip history lesson

SYNTAX ERROR

Stop saying syntax error

OKAY... SYNTAX ERROR

I've made my point enough here. Yeah. Computers were not all that cool back then, maybe to us, but to the people who were there have them, it was the coolest thing since fire was... I guess invented. How one invents something that is made by natural chemistry I have no damn clue.

Stop Digressing

SYNTAX ERROR

Print 2+2
4

Wait whaaaaaaaaaat? What did I just do there? Did I give the computer something other than the SYNTAX ERROR? You bet I did. These things were bulky calculators and word processors. But, get this, the only way you could save a word document was using a floppy disk. If you're 13 and reading this I must slow this down for you. A floppy disk, which I doubt even exists anymore, was basically a 1MB flash drive in the shape a humongous square. If you looked at a floppy disk, you'd probably not think of it as too floppy. That's because you've never opened one up before. When taken apart, you will see a small, black disk that makes that sheet metal sound when you shake it. That is why it is called a floppy disk.

Guys, I'm pretty tired right now. Please rate and review my boring history lesson and I hope to get some more done soon.

SYNTAX ERROR

Shut up with that already.
© Copyright 2014 Damian (riolu17 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1998721-Electronics-and-the-Future