*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1999073-Rumplestiltskin--What-Really-Happened
Rated: E · Short Story · Fanfiction · #1999073
My version of the Brothers Grimm tale

Rumplestiltskin: What Really Happened

I know you have heard my tale before, but I'm here to set the record straight. My name is Rumplestiltskin. All that happened in my story is mostly true. But there was no malicious intent. That's where my point of view differs.

I never had a child of my own. So when I heard that young girl crying about her imprisonment, I knew that was my chance. The first two times I took her payments of jewelry for spinning straw into gold. But when she had nothing else to offer, that was my chance. Imagine my surprise

When I came to collect I knew she would never guess what my name was. So I posed that riddle to her. "I will give you three days grace, and if during that time you tell me my name, you shall keep your child," I told her.

I came the first day. As I thought, she couldn't guess it. I left with high hopes. I came back the next day, again she had no clue. But this time I saw the despair on her face. I had to give up my claim on that child. But the only way I could do that and save face was if she guessed my name.

So I tracked down that dolt of a messenger. When I found the route he was taking, I devised the plan for that buffoon to find out my name. When he came to where I was, I started flailing and yelling like I was drunk. "Merrily the feast I'll make. Today I'll brew, tomorrow bake; merrily I'll dance and sing, for the next day will a stranger bring. Little does my lady dram, Rumplestiltskin is my name," I sang.

Now when I came on day three, she guessed my name. Of course I had to act the part. I huffed, I flailed, and I stomped. And then I walked out, never to come back again.

So now you know the truth. When you read the tale by the Brothers Grimm, maybe you will think twice before labeling me a villain.

© Copyright 2014 RubyRedDragon (rubyreddragon at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1999073-Rumplestiltskin--What-Really-Happened