*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1999808-When-Sweet-Revenge-Turns-Sour
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Drama · #1999808
Henley Brown and Racey Rowlands have been best friends since the first grade, until now.
Chapter One

A Brand New Year





         It was early Monday morning, too early, in Henley Brown's opinion. "Where did this summer go?" she wondered out loud. She took one last look at herself in the full length mirror, she looked exactly how she wanted to for her first day of senior year. Her long blonde hair fell perfect and straight to the small of her back, her green eyes looked bright, and her AE crocheted paneled dress fit all her curves perfectly and she knew the boys would be bowing down before her, including the one Racey snatched out from under her two weeks ago. She shook her head as she grabbed her macrame crossbody bag, eleven years of friendship gone, all because Racey couldn't get her head out of her butt.

         "Dad? I'm leaving!" Henley called. Her father was a single parent, her mother passed away from pancreatic cancer when Henley was eight years old. It wasn't easy growing up without a mother, but she knew her father did the best he could for her and loved her enough for two parents, and for that she was thankful. As she ran down the stairs, her heels slid on the step and her feet came out from under her, she landed on her butt with a loud bang. "Henley, darling, are you alright?" her dad asked in a panic, coming from the kitchen. Henley stared up at her father, she told herself she wouldn't cry. The fall didn't hurt her, it was just all the emotion from the past two weeks threatening to make her burst like a dam, but she knew now was not the time. She took a deep breath and mumbled that she was gonna be late, she quickly got up, and strode to the door. "I'll be home right after school, but then me and Sarah are going to the mall." her father looked at her, "It's 'Sarah and I' darling." Henley fought the urge to roll her eyes. She loved her father, but the teaching side of him really got on her nerves. He had been teaching English at Duke University in North Carolina for nine years now and he loved every minute of it, that's why teacher mode was so hard to shut down. She gave him a kiss on the cheek and said, "Yeah yeah, I got it." she gave him a broad smile and walked out the door.

         As Henley pulled her white 2013 Volkswagen Beetle into the high school parking lot, she spotted her friends under the shade tree, their spot since freshman year. She parked her car and climbed out with a big smile on her face ready to greet the girls. "Henley!" Sarah called, rushing towards her. Henley opened her arms wide ready for the hug that was about to follow. "Hey Sara." she said laughing.

         "You'll never believe who I just saw with Racey!" Sarah shrieked, "I have a pretty good guess." Henley said back with a smirk. She hadn't had time to fill Sarah in on her falling out with Racey, but she figured now was probably the time.

© Copyright 2014 Sammie Rose (sammiebrown at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1999808-When-Sweet-Revenge-Turns-Sour