*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2000719-How-I-live-now
Rated: E · Short Story · Emotional · #2000719
About this courageous young boy , who finds hope when its all lost .
WHO AM I


There was this boy who was abandoned by his parents. The boy was at a tender age, so innocent that he had no idea of what was going on. He kept on been moved from one place to another. No one wanted him not even his people, the only place he was welcomed was at his grandma's place. It's the only place this kid felt accepted, the rest of the world had shuttered him down. He was a poor looking little kid. His hair was brownish, due to lack of proper nutrition. He was malnourished, his clothes were dirty and his skin was kind of rough. There's was little his grandmother could do , the grandma had nothing much to offer but her sincere love . She was in her mid-80 when the little kid was brought to her. She had no source of income, all she did was to plant some veggies behind her backyard and use them to survive.

Her compound looked unkempt with dry leaves and cow dung all over the place. Her hut looked like it was going to fall apart . one side of the hut had some kind of a hole covered in a polythene paper to prevent cold from getting in . On the roof top , the grass were countable . There was barely any grass on the roof top , the grey aluminum iron sheet had taken over. Outside the house the was an old stool next to an old acacia tree . Its where the old lady seats every evening watching the sun set as if waiting for her day to come to  pass . She always smiled when the sun was setting, it's as if she knew her time on earth was coming to an end.

A year later, the grandma was getting sick and there was no one to take care of her and the little kid . The kid at times slept hungry because it was difficult for granny to get up and prepare a meal. It was getting worse and his grandma was getting worried that if she doesn't do something, her grandson would suffer under her hands. it was really devastating for the old woman  . She did not want anything bad to happen to this kid, so what she did was to go to a nearby missionary home and state her case . The missionaries listened to her case and decided to help her out.

The little boy was taken in by the nuns, while the granny got support from the missions before her death. A few years later the missionary home was been shut down due to lack of funds . The kids were been distributed to other Non-Governmental Organizations all over the country . This little boy got lucky , he was about four years. He matched all the qualifications and he was admitted in to his new home which was SOS Children's Village. It was the best moment of his life , for once this little kid smiled to the world . He became more positive about life , he knew there was more to come . This particular place was like heaven to this young kid . The place had 16 houses , each house with one mother containing ten children . Each room contained 3 children , there was a bathroom a store and a place where the mother slept .  The kid got to meet other kids who had gone through what he had . They shared experiences and enjoyed the little things life had to offer . This kid received education both elementary and high-school , he has made many friends over the couple of years he has been there. As we speak he is now 21yrs old and he is an undergraduate student in Daystar University here in Kenya doing a degree in Public Relations. He hopes one day to become a good motivational speaker.

This kid am talking about is me Joseph Mungai.



© Copyright 2014 Derrick Hill (josephmungai at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2000719-How-I-live-now