*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2001655-Untitled
by smlj
Rated: E · Chapter · Sci-fi · #2001655
Aliens have joined forces with the rest of the world and invaded The USA.
CHAPTER ONE
      I open my eyes and try to remember where I am. Then in a flash it all comes back and I desperately want to forget. I hear the familiar sound of the other doors opening and know it will be my turn soon. I climb out of bed, or what They claim is a bed. To me it's just a hard slab with a thin blanket and, if I'm lucky, a small,flat pillow. I pull on my white t shirt and gray sweatpants. The only clothing They allow. I run my fingers over my teeth and shudder. It's been weeks since I've been allowed to brush them. I run my fingers through my blond hair, trying to smooth out what's left since its been cut. I have no idea what time it is. I can only guess it's morning. The sounds I'm hearing tell me we are being let out for the day. I wonder where Jared is and what he's doing right now. Is he alive?
      I hear my door being unlocked. "Prisoner 208765, face the wall, put your hands behind your head and kneel down." I hear the familiar command and obey. I feel the cuffs go around my wrists and the guard pulls me up. I feel a twinge of excitement. For the next six hours I am free, almost.
    When we arrived here, each of us took a skills and knowledge test. From this test, we were given a job that would make the best use of our abilities. I am a gardener. Before I came here I had never done any gardening. I never had any time or motivation to do it. At first I was miserable. They gave me a few books on gardening and told me to study them. I still had no idea what I was doing. But after meeting Poline and her husband, things got better. They were very kind and showed me how they wanted things done and even gave me a few tips. Now gardening is the best part of my day. Everything before and after is a nightmare that I can't wake up from. I sometimes wonder how They got gardener from my test. But I try not to think about it too much and just be grateful. There are others who are much worse off then myself.
© Copyright 2014 smlj (jlm1981 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2001655-Untitled