*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2002039-Contests
by River
Rated: 13+ · Other · Writing · #2002039
Why I join contests...
Contests


I think the first contest I entered on WDC was Janine’s Daily Prompts.  I won an awardicon and was very excited because it was my first.  In my Newbie ignorance, I deleted the story and promptly lost the awardicon with it!

Janine fixed the problem as best she could by having me put the story back up and make a link to it. This way it still was included in my community recognition, but the awardicon was gone forever.

Since then I have entered more contests and groups, usually chosen to help me in my writing or to learn how to maneuver this site, not just to win awardicons or merit badges.

I joined I Write June-July –August to be sure I would continue to write during the summer while my local writers group is on vacation.  The Challenge was my choice to help me find my way around WDC. My Weekly Goals have helped me get into a routine of setting goals and doing my best to complete them.

It was suggested to me that reading and reviewing would help me learn from other’s writings, so I joined The Monthly Reading Challenge Forum and began reviewing.  I prefer to review Newbie’s work because I want to welcome them to WDC and encourage them to write. I believe Newbies should write their hearts out, put it on paper, and worry about editing later.

As the summer wears on I’ve realized how much I’ve taken on and how much I’ve learned through the contests, groups, and forums I’ve joined.  Sometimes, because of health problems, it is physically draining to keep up the pace.

I’ll continue to enter contests to help me learn or just because they sound fun and encourage other Newbies to do the same.

Write On!

© Copyright 2014 River (riverbedwriter at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2002039-Contests