*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2002424-Wooded-Protector
by Cayla
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Personal · #2002424
Creative Autobiography


                                                 Wooded Protector





"It's just a bunch of trees. Make sure to get home by dinner time," My mother snapped after I asked if I could explore the woods behind our new home in Rowlett, Texas.



"Cayla...! I want to come with!" One of four of my younger brothers, Britton, whined. Obviously boredom tormented him as well, he somehow found a pair of scissors and took the liberty of giving himself a nice haircut at the top of his head. My siblings and I were squirming against each other, excited to get out of the SUV and feel our legs for the first time in hours. I needed to get away from my family, especially my mother and stepfather for a while.



"No, you stay with mom! This is a solo adventure!" I replied, swinging open the car door. A hot breeze brushed my cheeks like a welcoming kiss. I unbuckled and touched my bare foot to the dusty and hot ground, looking around at the unfamiliar territory.



I spotted the large area of trees and started sprinting towards it, excitement surging through my veins. The grass bit at my feet and the soft pounding created a melodic rhythm underneath me. I approached the woods, the Texas heat began baking me and salty sweat drops poured down my forehead and onto my oval-shaped glasses. I slowed to catch my breath, my 13 year old chubby body unable to handle such thrill. When I came to a complete stop, I held my breath.



From far away it resembled a playground, the massive trees clumped together. Up close it became more ominous and mysterious. The sunlight was dimmer underneath the trees. They towered high above my head. I could hear the faint echoes of different bugs and wildlife that lived in the shaded fortress. I walked up to the closest tree and gently felt it's smooth bark with my fingertips as I peered further inside the ominous wooded area. Shades of light and dark green filled my eyes. The ground was moist and was covered in moss and leaves of all kinds. I continued to listen to the birds and the bugs that resided in the woods. I couldn't see anything moving, so I patiently sat and listened. The ominous feeling diminished while the soothing bird songs softened my anxiety through my ears. The light smell of eucalyptus and fine dirt was somehow relaxing. A feeling of peacefulness and tranquility overcame me. I took a deep breath and placed one foot into the mossy ground.

"Cayla! Come inside and make supper!" My stepfather's voice boomed through the air. I shuddered at the familiar sound of his intimidating and deep voice.



"Okay, I'm on my way!' I yelled back in his direction.



"Get your ass in here now!" I heard my mother screech. It became apparent that I needed to get home fast. Sighing deeply, I glanced one last time at the unexplored woods. What are you hiding? I thought to myself. Disappointed, I made a sluggish return back into the world of never-pleased parents and annoying siblings. I braced myself for a night of "Yes ma'am", "No ma'am", dirty diapers, and kitchen grease.



The next morning I crawled out of my bed. The sunlight started making its first pieces of daylight artwork. I tip-toed across the soft beige carpet of the new house, careful not to disturb the slumber masters and the restless children that slept peacefully. Quietly I slipped out the glass door in the back. Once the door shut, I sprinted towards the end of our backyard, my hair pulling back against the wind, where the woods awaited me. In the morning light the trees and plants seemed to be tinted a lighter and happier green. The bugs were quiet, all I could hear was the morning songs of a variety of birds. It seemed more cheerful. The trees seemed to call me into their embrace. Without hesitation, I made my departure underneath the trees.



The faint rustling sound I made alerted some of the birds. While I walked I saw, out of the corners of my eyes, shadows of birds taking flight. However, I had yet to see any living animal in front of me. The moss-covered terrain began going down-hill. I felt my hands up against the trees, feeling their comforting energies surround me. Off into the distance, I heard the sound of an anxious stream. I curiously followed it's sound, navigating and weaving through the terrain.



The stream, puny in size, was full of life. For the first time I saw inhabitants of the woods. Small fish, probably minnows. I went to approach it, but the jagged rocks cut and stung my feet. I surveyed the area, trying to find a decent place to rest. I spotted a larger rock that was smooth and chilly at the top to sit on. The sound of the restless water filled my body with soulful bliss.



"Cayla Lynne Vinal!" My mother's voice shot through the air. Look who discovered I'm not in the kitchen making breakfast. I shuddered, her voice sounding menacing and mean-spirited. Suddenly, everything was quiet. The trees sighed softly, hiding beneath their own shadows.



"Mycayla Lynne Vinal...!" Another round of bullets cut across the sky. I made a swift departure home, tears gently falling down my pale face. Why can't she make her own food? I felt like Cinderella, trapped within confides of total obedience. I promised myself to return at dusk.



After an exhausting day of tending to my family's whims, dusk slowly began falling across the horizon. I rallied my brothers into their pajamas, herded them into their Thomas the Train bunk beds, threw their baby blankets on top of them, and locked their doors. I ran my fingers through my thin, soft blonde hair in exhaustion. Yawning, I rubbed my sleepy eyes. I made my way to my bedroom. I rounded the corner and peered through the window facing the backyard. The sky turned a burnt orange. The trees past my backyard grew darker. The woods called me once again. I threw on some shoes and slipped into the cool evening.



Too tired to run, I walked absent-mindedly towards the wooded region, seemingly hypnotized. The birds and crickets sang a welcome to me. I navigated my way through the dense trees in the direction of the stream. Upon finding my resting rock, I flopped my exhausted body and aching legs into its embrace. Once I laid my body against the cool rock, a surge of peacefulness shot through my body. Anger that I built up towards my mother and family slipped from my grasp. The sound of the busy stream filled my ears with bliss. I was enveloped by the wildlife around me, all of my stress and worries about whose diaper needed changing and making dinner melted away. I inhaled the relaxing scent of moss. The trees guarding me from the negative energy that radiated from the house which I called "home". That day, the woods took me in and I became another inhabitant. It transformed into a protector of a mere human. I lost fear of the world in which I lived.





© Copyright 2014 Cayla (princesscayla at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2002424-Wooded-Protector