*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2002446-Decisions
Rated: ASR · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2002446
A husband contests his wife's choice. Someone else makes a decision for them both.
The steady, electronic sound of the heart monitor had become background noise to him. Stretching out his legs, he crossed his arms and sank down in hospital chair. In spite of the half a dozen large cups of coffee he had drank, he was exhausted. All the bitter, dark brew had done was agitate his bladder and give him the shakes. Now, great fatigue was winning over environment and emotional attachment. He dozed off.

The men who had been sitting motionlessly on the other side of the hospital bed now became animated. They looked at one another, synchronized.

They were handsome in the same way most beautiful people were. The model you can’t quite stop looking at when you pass their picture in some glossy magazine. The actor that, no matter the show, you can’t get enough of. The singer, whose crooning voice is your siren song. They’re all vampires.

"We can't waste any time. He's already let this progress too far. She looks ..." The first pale man stopped speaking and turned to gaze at the woman in the hospital bed.

She was pale but in the way that sickness paints a person. The cancer had eaten at her, wasted her away until she was skeletal. Already that subtle scent of coming death was a perfume on her skin.

"Dead." It came from the second pale man. He too was now looking to the woman in bed.

"These humans, they say they love one another. How can he, in a day and age like this, let her waste away? Especially when there are volunteers."

The vampires looked away from the woman, to her husband, slouched in exhausted sleep and then to one another. Wordless agreement passed between them.

They would just turn them both.

Word Count: 294
Contest Winner! http://www.writing.com/main/forums/item_id/896794-Daily-Flash-Fiction-Challenge
© Copyright 2014 S. Wynterbourne (wynterwolf at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2002446-Decisions