*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2005272-Family-Luck-6
Rated: 13+ · Other · Other · #2005272
6th part of the story
The ship was laid up in dry dock for six weeks; six weeks when Jude could not get to London to look for his brother. They were six good weeks though. Ma Tweedy was off to visit her sister in the country and invited Jude to accompany her. The boy had never seen such vast expanses of nothing but fields, trees, rivers; it was like people didn't exist.

The village where Aunty Flo lived consisted of a church, an inn and about ten houses. She was several years older than Ma Tweedy, walked with a stick and smelled of lavender.
"So this is the boy. Hello, Jude. I hear you're looking for your brother. I do hope you find him; it's such a shame when families are split," she said, with a pointed look to her sister.
"I'm sorry I can't come more often, but it is a long way."

Jude had seen horses in the streets of the city but the ones here were different; they were happy. Jude knew how they felt; nothing to do all day but frolic in the fields and chomp on fine grass. For a short time he was almost able to forget his search; almost, but not quite. He pictured living with his brother, here, in the country; with someone like Ma or Aunty Flo to look after them.

"When you come this way again can you bring me some drinking glasses and a few bowls?" Aunty Flo asked as we were leaving. On the long journey home this got Jude to thinking. He didn't get a wage as such but Master Tweedy gave him an allowance to spend when he went ashore; suppose he spent a few pennies on glass and earthenware, then sold them in London. Master Tweedy was more than happy to see that the boy was enterprising enough to make a few bob on the side.
"Aye, lad, that's a good idea you have; I might even put a bob or two into it myself."

On their next trip to London, Jude rowed himself to Southwark Pier to seek out Joe the carter and, hopefully, his brother. He took with him some samples of his wares. If Joe wasn't interested maybe the inn they had visited before would buy some.
"Barnaby Luck! Don't talk to me about that ungrateful wretch. Here less than a week and he runs off. Hope he starves, damn him to hell," cursed Joe. Jude decided against trying to sell this man anything.

With no idea where to look for his brother, Jude toted his goods to the inn. They bought all he had for a good price. The rest he sold at another inn close to the port.
"Why do we go back empty?" he asked Master Tweedy once back aboard.
"That's a good question, lad. What would you suggest?"
"Well, we bring down cheap glass and earthenware, but surely there's a market in Newcastle for the good stuff the knobs use. Couldn't we take some back with us?"

A partnership was born that day. Jude invested his few bob, Master Tweedy the rest. The ship returned to Newcastle with several crates of fine china and glassware.
"It's your job to sell 'em, lad. You can miss the next trip down to give you the time," Master Tweedy said. And sell he did. Within a year they had a thriving business. He no longer sailed as cabin boy but as a trader in his own right.
© Copyright 2014 Odessa Molinari (omstar at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2005272-Family-Luck-6