*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2007503-Ellens-Problem
Rated: E · Other · Children's · #2007503
The school bully finds a copy of Ellen's story and uses it against her.
Word Count: 950



Ellen's Problem

         Ellen wrote the last line of her story. She was an eleven year old girl trying to be like her mom, a successful author. Ellen headed to the library.

         At the library, Ellen saw Brenda and turned around. Brenda was mean. She had gotten kicked out of school for fighting and Ellen was the one who informed on her. No, she didn't want to run into this girl. Ellen entered the library through the side door and quickly made her way to the copy machine. She placed her story on the glass, put in her money and pressed start. She had to hurry, Brenda was moving her direction. Ellen took her copy and left the library as fast as she could.

         She got outside the library and realized she had forgotten the original. With a deep breath she turned around and went back inside. Too late! Brenda was reading the story. Ellen's stomach tightened.

         "Can I get my paper back?" Ellen said attempting to keep the fear out of her voice.

         "This one? The one you say how Jamie has a brother that is "slow? Let me read it to you: 'Jamie has a brother named Timmy. Timmy makes her mad because Timmy is delayed. Jamie doesn't want to be around her brother because she is afraid people will make fun of him and her.' Should I go on?"

         The lines in Ellen's forehead deepen. She swallowed hard and her eyes narrowed. "No, can I just have it?"

         "It'll cost you."

         "Is everything okay girls?"  The librarian asked.

         "Everything is good," Brenda said as she handed the paper to Ellen. She glared at her as the librarian made her way back to the counter.

         Ellen put her head down and walked out of the library. Jamie wanted her brother's secret, secret. That wasn't going to happen. With the story in hand she slowly went to Jamie's house.

         Jamie's brother met Ellen at the door. He looked at her through cross eyes and tried to shake her hand. Any other day Ellen would of stopped and given him a high five but not today. Ellen looked past him and saw Jamie coming towards her.

         "Here is your story I wrote for you," Ellen said as she handed the paper to her friend, the person she hoped would still be her friend when she left.

         "I'm sorry," Ellen said. Tears flowed down her cheek.

         Jamie looked at her and said, "This is good. I can show it to my mom so she can see how I feel, just like you said."

         "Brenda was at the library and she read the story," Ellen said as she looked to the floor.

         "What? Brenda?"

         "I forgot the original in the copier and she took it and read it." Ellen whispered.

         "I'm ruined. How can I go to school?"

         "Well, the good part is Brenda won't be in school tomorrow. Remember she was kicked out."

         "That doesn't make me feel any better," Jamie said as she crumpled the paper.

         "I'm sorry."

         "Will you quit saying, "I'm sorry." I have to do my chores." Jamie said as she turned away from Ellen.

         Ellen walked back home. 
How can I fix this? She sat in her room until supper time. Her mom asked her what was wrong. "Just tired," Ellen said. Later that night an idea came to her. She was surprised; it was so simple.

         Ellen woke up excited wanting to tell Jamie about her idea, but Jamie avoided her the entire day. When the final bell rang Ellen ran home. She started to write. With her completed story in hand she asked her mom for permission to go to Jamie's place.

         She knocked and as usual Jamie's brother opened the door. There was dried pudding on his shirt. Ellen gave him a high five which put a smile on his face.

         "What do you want?" Jamie asked.

         "Read this," Ellen said as she handed Jamie the paper.

         "This is good. I like it."

         "I thought that there was no way we can keep Brenda from telling everyone about your brother. But if we circulate this story first..."

         "then she will have nothing to say." Jamie added.

         "Can I read it in class tomorrow?" Ellen asked

         "Would you?"

         "If Miss Jones lets me."

         "She will. I'll ask her also."

         The two girls hugged and Ellen walked back home feeling much better. Later that night she reread her paper and made a few corrections. She wanted it perfect.

         The next day the girls went to school. Brenda walked into the class room as Ellen and Jamie were talking to Miss Jones. The bully made eye contact with Ellen. Brenda half smiled and mouthed, "you'll be sorry."

         When the class started Miss Jones asked Ellen to come forward. "We are going to do something different today. Ellen has written a story about a very special young man. Jamie, would you show the picture of your brother to the class please. Ellen, read your story."

         "Timmy is a happy little boy. He always wants to high five me when I visit my friend Jamie. Timmy thinks I'm visiting him. I let him think that. If I had a brother I would want one just like the one Jamie has. Jamie is a great sister. She talks to Timmy and calms him down. Sometimes Timmy runs outside but Jamie is always there to take care of him. I'm glad I have such a good friend like Jamie and I'm glad she has a brother like Timmy," Ellen said.

         Everyone in the class clapped, except Brenda. Ellen watched her go deeper into her seat and put her arms together.




© Copyright 2014 Randy77 (randytramp at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2007503-Ellens-Problem