*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2007773-Fates-of-the-Well
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2007773
Myvuna makes a wish for Perrenia, but can she outrun the Fates?
Once upon a time in a town nearing ruin, Myvuna, the governor’s sweetest daughter, aimed to save everyone nearest to her. She stole away to a deep forest well designed for wishing and whispered to the Fates her dreams: that the town of Perrenia would be prosperous.

The Fates do one thing better than listen to wishes, and that’s making wishes come true. But all, including Myvuna, knew the price of such a wish: a grievous debt had to be paid in return. Watery sprites and wooden dryads let the young girl know this. She being so sweet, Myvuna assumed the debt was terrible; she accepted that she might be struck with a hairbrush.

Having been assured of her comprehension, the sprites and dryads shooed Myvuna away while they worked with the Fates to insure Perrenia’s future. Before the next dark moon, prospects were high and the governor and his family were pleased as peach cobbler to be on the right track.

With success guaranteed for her town, neighbors, friends, and family, Myvuna approached her mother and father and asked for her punishment. “What do you mean?” they asked unaware.

She let loose her secret and the adults stood aghast. Her mother cried and the governor’s face sheeted white. Myvuna knew her parents weren’t thrilled about corporal punishment but felt they needed to accept responsibility.

“Sweetest child,” said her mother. “The Fates do not anticipate that you’ll be struck with a hairbrush.”

Myvuna’s voice fumbled. “But you always said it was a terrible punishment. What’s worse than that?”

“Death, dear child. The Fates collect debts with bloods and souls.”

Shocked, Myvuna didn’t know if she should cry or run. Her parents worked together with Perrenia’s most honest of witches with a solution. Gharbelle suggested that Myvuna leave Perrenia until the town fell back into ruin. Or until her father passed.

Asking where she should go, Gharbelle suggested she spirit away to Vhorro, the land across the sea. “The Fates of the well reside in the water underground and can see through the trees of that same soil. They cannot find you if you are among new bands of soil and sand.”

Her mother and father hated the idea, but Myvuna accepted the decision. Arrangements were made with Vhorro’s king – whose diplomat owned land in Perrenia – and the governor’s sweetest daughter moved from all she had known. She felt like the Fates had won anyway: she was gone, all but dead.



In Vhorro, some years past once upon a time, Myvuna received word stating her father’s untimely death. Horror was her first reaction but subdued awe was her second. Assuming the Fates had not found her, she deduced that they had taken Perrenia’s governor instead, in exchange for his great town becoming a powerful city.

But Myvuna, recently wedded, was with child and a remarkable husband, Dasolo. The man she chose as her husband was very understanding, though, and he approved of relocating his fledgling family to the bustling Perrenia.

The voyage back west, across the turbulent seas and seasons was not easy for Myvuna and she, more than once, feared for her unborn child. But fate did not let her lose the baby and they arrived in Perrenia safely.

Dasolo had never met Myvuna’s family and a gravesite is hardly such a place for first impressions, but he appreciated that she was happy to see her mother and sisters and all of their fat children.

Months in Perrenia passed and Gharbelle – ancient in body but wizened in soul with experience – helped Myvuna with the pregnancy. Waddling through the narrow city streets with her loving husband, the governor’s sweetest of daughters managed to somehow end up at the edge of the wood that would eventually become the deep wood if a person were to give up distance and bright surroundings.

Dasolo noticed her lingering gaze and asked about the wood. She confessed her ignorant crime of the past: that the well in the deep wood housed the Fates that had killed her father. The same curiosity that drew him to a foreigner in his homeland drew Dasolo into the wood and the deep wood.

Before long, the well was seen, undisturbed. Myvuna felt as if it was the same as before, as if she had stepped into the past. Dasolo seemed interested and she warned him not to wish. But she did want to thank the Fates for giving her father so much time with most of his family and friends.

As the thought became clear in her mind, a watery sprite appeared at well’s edge and informed Myvuna that her father was lost naturally. And that the Fates were looking to finally collect their debt.

Stunned, Myvuna didn’t know what to do. Dasolo, a man of quick acts, immediately tried ushering his wife away from the dread well. Her panic caused the opposite to happen: contractual pangs began setting in, freezing Myvuna to the spot. The baby was coming.

Fear that the Fates were siphoning the small life from inside her made Myvuna panic even more, which increased her laboring efforts. Dasolo tried consoling her but to no avail. In mere minutes, a tiny set of lungs was ringing throughout the wood. Myvuna wept openly and Dasolo cried for the first time since she’d met him. Smiling, fearful tears.

A Fate appeared directly before the young family. Like an ethereal tree with eyes of midnight and a visible heart of jade, he deftly plucked the baby from Myvuna’s arms. She sobbed uncontrollably, spittle and mucus her makeup. The Ancient Creature then settled the babe into Dasolo’s arms and helped Myvuna to her feet.

At his touch, she felt no more pain and understanding flowed through her body and soul: her baby was destined for greatness and the Fates would not alter that. She touched Dasolo and passed along the same reassurances and the new father said his bittersweet farewell and promised to look after their son.



Word Count: 996
© Copyright 2014 Than Pence (zhencoff at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2007773-Fates-of-the-Well