*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2009404-The-Haunted-House
Rated: E · Other · Family · #2009404
A reminder that some places never leave one.
The Haunted House



I woke up and thought of the house we grew up in. It has been fifty four years since I first arrived in the house with my brother Kurt and sister Lori, Kim was about to be born at the same time. There would be four more siblings born later on.

I recall the dirt roads the most. Everybody seemed far away. There was a guy named "Holbrooks" who was building houses like crazy in the neighborhood. Eventually they would put tar on a half mile circle that I peddled thousands of times on my bike, and hundreds of times by foot. I had friends everywhere and in those days that was what everyone did play outside with friends. It would often be heard as long as I can remember: "Can Gary come out to play"? It seems comical in the contemporary lingo of today. I can not recall ever hearing those words as my own kids grew up. Instead it was about life in computer land and the new game in town.

What I miss most is the chatter about what went on in any given day, the holidays that drew us together, graduations and of course births. Mom is ill and it reminds me that at some point the house will become haunted by the memories of us all.

There were the places we slept, sneaking down the stair to hear what mom and dad were saying. It often seemed like they would yelling at each other get out of the way or you will get run over by a truck. They never did so it must of worked. There was the hallway upstairs where I studied for tests past midnight. The chants of "I hate you", I cross my heart and hope to die (I am telling you the truth and lots of parroting, which I never fully understood. I do know that it was very annoying.

For the first time in my life I truly understand what that a haunted house means. All of us have some memory. Last time I visited I slept in the same space where my bed was when I was in that house so long ago. I can imagine that space will always remind in my mind and heart for all eternity, a place to rest and be blessed. *Delight*

© Copyright 2014 drifter (peterson4279 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2009404-The-Haunted-House